Abyss web server startup on boot up and with root ?

Booting, installing, newbie
Puppy_Ninja

Abyss web server startup on boot up and with root ?

#1 Post by Puppy_Ninja »

Installed the abyss web server, but upon starting the server (./abysswx) I receive the error "Cannot execute the server using root privileges".

Has anyone come across this previously?

PUP 2.16 LIVECD.

Installed by virtue of expanding the archive, moving the abyssws folder to /mnt/root
And trying ./abyssws from a terminal window.

Also I would like to have this server startup on boot, any help here?

Totally newbie puppy user.

Thanks
Mal

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Abyss is discussed in an earlier thread.

I ran it okay. Also made a PET package, which I don't think is uploaded to ibiblio yet.

Puppy_Ninja

#3 Post by Puppy_Ninja »

I did search but couldn't find an answer.

Is your package available anywhere else?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

you could switch to an unprivileged user first, for example user "nobody", then run the server ... like this:

su nobody
./abysswx

or you can configure the server to run as user "nobody", then start the server with the --allow-root option, like this:

./abysswx --allow-root

see: here and here

it's usually better not to run a server as user "root"

to start a server when Puppy boots, you could make a script somewhere, maybe put it in /root/bin and call it "start-server" ... it might look something like this:

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/abysswx
./abysswx --allow-root

and you could execute your script by putting a line like this in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

/root/bin/start-server &

unless the server is an X application, in which case, you would need to start it from /root/.xinitrc

Puppy_Ninja

#5 Post by Puppy_Ninja »

Thanks for trying to help. Unfortunatel;y I am either too dense or too stupid to use your suggestions.

I have however solved my problem, by switching to Hiawatha.

Downloaded devx_216.sfs and saved it where it should go (rebooted and added it to the system using the dialog upon reboot)

Downloaded the Hiawatha code and extracted it OK.

Did the ./configure make thing.

edited the hiawatha script in extras (needed to change line 5 to HIAWATHA="/usr/local/sbin/hiawatha"). Moved it to /etc/init.d

created a new folder /usr/local/var/run (it's where hiawatha places its hiawatha.pid file)

Rebooted the computer and hiawatha started up, I can view the default home page on other computers in my network.

All I need to do now is build my site.

Thanks again for trying to help, I guess I am going to go and read Puppy Linux for Dummies now.

Thanks
Mal