1.0.2 doesn't like my wireless card.

Using applications, configuring, problems
Pizzasgood

1.0.2 doesn't like my wireless card.

#1 Post by Pizzasgood »

I had ndiswrapper running fine in 1.0.1, but when I upgraded it stopped working. I know the rc.wireless script needs to be altered to use modprobe instead of insmod, so I did that, but it still says I don't have a wireless card. It gives me an "eth1: no such device" error (or something similar, I'm going from memory).
I'm using the drivers that Bladehunter gave me. Do they maybe have to be re-done on a system using the 2.6 kernal?
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

Re: 1.0.2 doesn't like my wireless card.

#2 Post by nduanetesh »

Pizzasgood wrote: Do they maybe have to be re-done on a system using the 2.6 kernal?
A very good question. I know you've read the thread where I'm trying to get a pcmcia wireless card set up...until I read this post of yours, I didn't put together the fact that the drivers I have (compiled by the Great Murga) were done in pup1.0.1, with an older kernel. I don't know if any problems I am currently having might also be because of drivers incompatible with the new kernel. Thanks for bringing up this point. Apparently with some packages that JM put together, it's possible to do our own compiling of drivers for ndiswrapper. If only there were more hours in the day...

ND

danleff

#3 Post by danleff »

Oh ohh. I just found this myself. I forgot that I had my box hard wired for the LAN also. So, my wireless is not up either.

Loading ndiswrapper does not find my card.

If you have kernel drivers from kernel 2.4, the module structure (extension) has changed in the new kernel. But it looks like all the pcmcia modules are there and the new one for ndiswrapper.

Unfortunately, I can't speak for pcmcia, but ndiswrapper seems broken for my previous setup.

There is another issue with the 2.6 kernel, the kernel 4 stack issue. Most Windows drivers need more than 4 stacks, but it looks like Barry set this properly (he did not limit the kernel to 4 stacks).

If I come up with anything, I will post it. But this looks like an issue for the real experts.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

Germanpup

#4 Post by Germanpup »

actually i have the same problem with my linksys pcmcia wireless card. what are actually the add-ons to compile ndiswrapper by John Murga and where are they?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

See John's 50M Opera Puppy announcement on the main News page.

This has Perl, so ndiswrapper package will work as it was intended to.

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

I think his 50 meg version has them built in. If I have time today I'll download that and give it a try.

EDIT: Barry beat me to the post... Well, I guess that's a good thing :)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Germanpup

#7 Post by Germanpup »

thanks guys. tried the 50MB version of John's, well it has perl and all that ...
did ndiswrapper -i /path/to/inf-file.inf
then modprobe ndiswrapper
still doesn't work. I even tried everything that worked in 1.0.1 (see my earlier posts), can't get it up.
I have a slight feeling that I need to modify some config file for pcimcia ...
any clues?

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

Didn't work for me either. I decided to just switch back to 1.0.1. Puplet was pretty cool, though. I kept it on a separate cd so I can use it as sort of a rescue cd.
On Saturday I fly to my dad's house for the summer. He has no internet access, and I don't come back until July 31. By then Puppy should be up to around 1.0.5. Then I'll give it another shot. Until then, 1.0.1 is plenty good. In the meantime I think I'll look into making a PizzaPup. The Great Murga has inspired me with his edition.

Germanpup

#9 Post by Germanpup »

will have to stick to 1.0.1 as well. but what the heck, it's great anyway. What about going international and maybe do a german version? with

danleff

#10 Post by danleff »

Still nogo for me. Is loadndisdriver missing in this version??

To answer my own question, yes. I just saw Barry's post in the bugs section.

UPDATE***

I added loadndisdriver to Puppy's /sbin from the same version 1.1 in my Fedora install and wireless is up again! This is in John's Opera version.

I also did a fresh install of version 1.0.2 (Mozilla) and used the available perl and ndiswrapper packages from John. I still needed to put loadndisdriver in place, as it still was missing. So, Barry's version is working now on my system.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith