27%
Rasterpax original
50%
Square rasterpax with ears
17%

Total votes: 30

WhoDo

#41 Post by WhoDo »

Just to make comparisons a little easier, here is a sample pack of the various types of logo discussed.

Last edited by WhoDo on Mon 09 Jul 2007, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

cb88

#42 Post by cb88 »

@ whodo could the ear be moved inside the circle?

still prefer rastpax both square(more professional feel) and circle (feel fun) and the paws are good

that is my favorite shade of blue looks great otherwise.

alienjeff

#43 Post by alienjeff »

With all due respect to everyone involved, please consider that commercial and not-for-profit enterprises alike do not change their logos often, and when they do, it's rarely drastic. There's a very good reason (or seventeen) for this:

product recognition through consistency

So if you all want to while away the hours, reinvent wheels and niggle over minutia, be my guest and have at it.

I, for one, see nothing wrong with the classic paw print logo circa Puppy 1.08r1.

-aj

[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

edoc

#44 Post by edoc »

alienjeff wrote:With all due respect to everyone involved, please consider that commercial and not-for-profit enterprises alike do not change their logos often, and when they do, it's rarely drastic. There's a very good reason (or seventeen) for this:

So if you all want to while away the hours, reinvent wheels and niggle over minutia, be my guest and have at it.

I, for one, see nothing wrong with the classic paw print logo circa Puppy 1.08r1.

-aj

Am good with that here as well.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Henry

#45 Post by Henry »

Sure, the paw print is not bad. The difficulty with abstract logos is they should still be recognizable. Not easy, I know. Of course once you establish the relationship, by labeling it "puppy" there's no problem. I would not know one animal's paw print from another without being told.

The recent circular abstrations have the same problem. The ones I have seen do in fact resemble (to me) a seal or a cat, etc. I suggest they should look unambiguously like a puppy, however stylized. Barry's official logo does nicely. MU's Vincent is outstanding! as is the just suggested streamlined version of it.

Henry

alienjeff

#46 Post by alienjeff »

Henry wrote:Sure, the paw print is not bad. The difficulty with abstract logos is they should still be recognizable. Not easy, I know. Of course once you establish the relationship, by labeling it "puppy" there's no problem. I would not know one animal's paw print from another without being told.
Hmmm. Lets see here. I've downloaded a computer ISO of a GNU/Linux OS. The site I'm downloading it from has called it Puppy Linux. Ah, there's a paw print on the desktop. Wonder what kind of paw print that is ...

[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

John Doe

#47 Post by John Doe »

..crap first double post
Last edited by John Doe on Mon 09 Jul 2007, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.

John Doe

#48 Post by John Doe »

alienjeff wrote:Ah, there's a paw print on the desktop. Wonder what kind of paw print that is ...
Dogs have 5 digits, that's an alien for sure.

Aliens have 8 fingers which is why they understand HEX so well.

willhunt

#49 Post by willhunt »

I really liked them all :D

Since there seem to be some great artist here I would like
to take this chance to ask if anyone could make a wallpaper
like the old tropicana suntan lotion add only with a older
women and the bikini should be a microsoft flag :lol:
the face should be bill gates
Last edited by willhunt on Wed 11 Jul 2007, 05:36, edited 2 times in total.
[url=http://hostfile.org/icepak.pet]176 Icewm Themes :!:[/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/39fl3x]vlc-0.8.6c-i586.pet[/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/2q7cbp]vlc-0.8.6c-i586.pet[/url]

WhoDo

#50 Post by WhoDo »

Okay, how about this one? Button embossing can be more pronounced if required. With our without the glassy effect?

Ok, the voting is now open...and I've updated the comparison package on the previous page.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

afgs

#51 Post by afgs »

Here's my contribution. Using a simplified, stylistic form of a chihuahua puppy face. Seen in desktop background, disk label, disk cover.

alienjeff

#52 Post by alienjeff »

John Doe wrote:Dogs have 5 digits, that's an alien for sure.
A dog that is standing does not leave an impression of its dew claw.

-aj

cb88

#53 Post by cb88 »

i went w/ the square glass rastapax w/ ears it has become more refined and looks cool and is nearly as professional looking as the original square rastapax

Henry

Puppy logo - here's my vote!

#54 Post by Henry »

I don't see why we need something different from this. It's got class and continuity. See the attached.

Henry
Attachments
pawdesk1024x768_.zip
(23.63 KiB) Downloaded 588 times

jonyo

#55 Post by jonyo »

No doubt..looks :) like a pup.. Wife had quite the uhmmm.. constructive criticism :roll: of some of the others.. pup seal - yes, cat - yes, not sure what.. - yes.. pup - say what :?
Attachments
pup.jpg
(35.65 KiB) Downloaded 2502 times

WhoDo

#56 Post by WhoDo »

afgs wrote:Here's my contribution. Using a simplified, stylistic form of a chihuahua puppy face. Seen in desktop background, disk label, disk cover.
Now THAT I really like! Unfortunately I can't change the poll to include it without losing all existing votes. Those who want to vote for afgs' logo will have to say so in their posts, so they can be counted.

Cheers

Henry

#57 Post by Henry »

Ah, well, I came into this thread kind of midstream and probably should have not have ventured into the waters. (Although going back to the beginning and reading through didn't seem to help much ;-)

I have been extremely impressed with Puppy Linux from the beginning and am anxious for it to succeed. It shouldn't hurt for it to appear a little serious. Of course Debian et al have succeeded to a modest degree with a terrible scrawl of a logo. Maybe what the logo is is not so important as that it attain a degree of recognition. Change should be done for a good reason. Sure, it could be a anything, like the cloverleaf of Slax (actually I think their default tennis shoe background is somewhat inspired.)

But not to waste the capital we've inherited from Barry's logos. Fine tuning is wanted rather than trivia or shock. (Vincent has unique charm!) Other wise I have suggested Barry's brown face-on dog. Maybe I don't understand what the proposed "new logo" is for. . .

Yes , the brown dog is horrible (unbearable) for a screen background, but the stylized dog itself, reduced to a suitable logo size for the purpose, would be very suitable. Of course it needs a different background color. Heck, make the dog blue too if you like, but it is a no-nonsense, determined stance that suits Puppy Linux.

Henry

jcagle

#58 Post by jcagle »

alienjeff wrote:With all due respect to everyone involved, please consider that commercial and not-for-profit enterprises alike do not change their logos often, and when they do, it's rarely drastic. There's a very good reason (or seventeen) for this:

-aj

Good point, and when I was a graphic design student, this was discussed. We were taught that any logo changes should be "evolutionary, not revolutionary". It's ok to have a new logo, but it should be similar to your previous logo. If you suddenly change the logo to something totally different, people who recognized your product before are not going to recognize it with the new logo.

jcagle

#59 Post by jcagle »

silverojo wrote:
wow wrote:And, have you seen this? it looks more like Vincent(the new real puppy)

Made by rastapax :arrow: http://www.puppylinux.org/user/photogal ... ?photo=144
As cute as the logo in post #1 is, I kind of prefer this logo above. It's simpler, more professional-looking and seems more like a logo for an operating system. It's cute without being overly cute. :)
If you must absolutely drasticly change the logo, however, I like one of these the best. In fact, I think you could go with different colors here. You know how with the MTV logo, it's basically the same each time, but they make some modifications to it every time you see it? Same thing could be done here. Maybe not as drastic as the MTV logo, but different colors, as long as they work well together.

MGFox

#60 Post by MGFox »

Why rush with the voting? IMHO let's give time to explore all the possibillities. Also don't limit with only chihuahuas or kelpies, or dog's face only, how about paws, tail (especially wagging tail = friendliness), silhouette, stylistic, etc. After that make a list then go for voting, and maybe not only one round only.
Attachments
drafts.jpg
Some possibilities I've gathered until now.
(62.66 KiB) Downloaded 1474 times