disk error 36??

Booting, installing, newbie
cobelloy

disk error 36??

#1 Post by cobelloy »

hi there,
giving the puppy a run on my computer, when I boot from the CD it halts halfway and reports a disk error 36, any clues anyone? I re-downloaded the iso and burned it to a new disk and tried again, also tried on my daughters computer (exactly the same as mine though) and got the same error. Well, any help is appreciated.

FYI
P2 400MHz
128MB ram
MSI 6163 mobo
32meg video (hercules)

danleff

#2 Post by danleff »

What speed did you burn the disk at? Iso files need to be burned at a slow speed, say 4X. This is most likely the culprit.

I just tried burning on a cdrw disk and had problems, until I burned it at 1X! I am assuming you are trying to burn the newest release.

The other issue is verifying that you got a good download. If you are using dial-up, there is a chance that the iso file did not download properly. Did you check the md5sum of the iso?
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

Bruce B

Persist until you succeed or go insane

#3 Post by Bruce B »

I don't know about disk error 36. It seems to me if you are having the same problem on two separate computers you might have a problem with the CD-ROM. But since both computers are identical and because you made another CD-ROM disk - Hmmm.

Okay - I think it would be more conclusive if you could try the CD disk on a third computer that isn't identical.

Also - it might be a good idea to state what version in any subseqent posts because v 1.0.2 just came out a couple days ago. A person could be using 1.0.1 or an RC version or whatever.

-------------

BTW - I had a problem like you are talking about with the System Rescue CD. Very weird - the CD stopped working at a specific spot. I thought the CD disk was bad so I downloaded a fresh .ISO and burned a new disk.

Guess what? It had the same problem in the same spot. I started thinking it was hardware related. Fortunately, I downloaded a third .ISO and burned a third CD disk. Third time was a charm!

The whole thing was apparently related to the CD disk and what is so strange is - the first one worked several times and then stopped working and the next disk I burned had the same problem.

It defied my concept of logic and challenged my patience somewhat also.

Go figure. I can't explain.

If I were you this is what I would do:

1) Check this forum hoping you find someone smarter than me. This should be easy because I'm not too bright on this subject.

2) Try booting on another computer

3) If the CD disk doesn't boot the third test computer, consider a third CD disk of another manufacture because maybe you have a bad batch???

4) If this CD disk doesn't boot the third test computer try burning a CD on another computer

5) If all fails - do what I do - don't burn a CD at all. Mount the .ISO image and extract the files and run them from the hard drive with GRUB. (an easy to install GRUB for DOS is available. If you want just ask and I'll upload it.)

------------

Also I think danleff is probably right - you made two bad burns - try his advice first.

danleff

#4 Post by danleff »

I did not post a comment that is likely the culprit. I noticed the system that you are usng is older.

Older cdrom drives do not like self burned cd disks. If at all possible, try booting the disk on a newer system. Or, if the cd writer is fairly new, make sure you try to boot from the cdrw drive that you burned the image on.

The point about using quality disks is a good one. Avoid inexpensive media. Or, make sure you burn the image slowly, on a cdr media. CDRW disks can be a problem, especially if they have been used over and over.

I just put my article on the wiki. Or, you can find it here.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

cobelloy

#5 Post by cobelloy »

thanks for the responses,
I did burn the disks at maximum (52x I think) so I will try to burn another one slower. The disks are X-Logic (middle price) and TDK brand, all the others have been fine so far, so quality and batch are probably not an issue. I did not check the MD5sums because I couldn't work out how, but I am using an ISDN dial up modem (128k) so maybe the files are corrupt - but both exactly the same way? Anyway, I will try another disk at a slower burn speed and repost the results.

Thanks muchly
xx

cobelloy

#6 Post by cobelloy »

yay for puppy !!!

I burned a disk at 8x and it worked - like magic, was very happy, but a bit clueless once the desktop was up, I mounted and unmounted all my drives, and did a hardware probe and a USB probe thing, and to my absolute shock puppy recognised my USB ISDN modem and called it by its correct name and everything....now if I can just figure out how to use it in puppy I will be all set. Well, time to do some more forum-ing I think.

thanks for your help, and BTW using latest edition of puppy, 1.0.2 ... I think, with mozilla.

yay for me!!!