How to get Verizon EVDO USB720 dialup modem working?

onemore

How to get Verizon EVDO USB720 dialup modem working?

#1 Post by onemore »

I have a Verizon EVDO USB720 card it acts like a modem , in most other Linux Flavors I have been able to just set up a KPPP account and modprobe usbserial info of card and I am on , but Puppy will not allow me to use the /dev/ttyUSB0 I need .
How do I go about setting up a /dev for the modem ?

John Doe

#2 Post by John Doe »

been trying to help get this going, but haven't quite gotten around to really slaying it.

there is some reference here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/search ... 1728397836

all the info you need should be in there somewhere or linked to from in there.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: EVDO

#3 Post by BarryK »

onemore wrote:I have a Verizon EVDO USB720 card it acts like a modem , in most other Linux Flavors I have been able to just set up a KPPP account and modprobe usbserial info of card and I am on , but Puppy will not allow me to use the /dev/ttyUSB0 I need .
I don't understand what you have posted.
What do you mean by "and modprobe usbserial info of card"?
Regarding "Puppy will not allow me to use the /dev/ttyUSB0", it should be /dev/usb/ttyUSB0.
Is 'usbserial' the only module needed?
This 'card', what do you mean by that? is it a PCI card? If so, can you run PupScan and post the specs on it?

onemore

#4 Post by onemore »

BarryK wrote:
onemore wrote:I have a Verizon EVDO USB720 card it acts like a modem , in most other Linux Flavors I have been able to just set up a KPPP account and modprobe usbserial info of card and I am on , but Puppy will not allow me to use the /dev/ttyUSB0 I need .
I don't understand what you have posted.
What do you mean by "and modprobe usbserial info of card"?
Regarding "Puppy will not allow me to use the /dev/ttyUSB0", it should be /dev/usb/ttyUSB0.
Is 'usbserial' the only module needed?
This 'card', what do you mean by that? is it a PCI card? If so, can you run PupScan and post the specs on it?
Looks like I may be barking up the wrong tree , had the card figured out when I had the PCI-Express version .Was not asking how to make card work in Linux already knew that , been using it for months in Linux . In fact using to post right now .
Once you install the software in Windows if you read the config file it generates , it basically gives you the correct info used to configure the dialer .

In other Distros I bring up root shell and "modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1410 product=0x2110" because that is the corresponding vendor and product info need for usbserial (dmesg) to load the correct module , make more sense . The card is a USB modem , you are issued a Tel # . Once I make sure the modem works I try and make it load at boot , in other distros /etc/modules and /etc/modprobe.preload .
And the MODEM is /dev/ttyUSB0 is the only way it will work no other /dev/tty will work .

John Doe , clicking link does nothing nor does pasting link into browser , just brings me to search area again .
Do you mean to do search ?
I tried with the latest release , but still will not let me set which /dev/tty I wish to use like other dialers will .
Puppy seems to assume you are using a serial modem .
DSL (Damn Small Linux) allowed me to add /dev/ttyUSB0 to the dialer manually .
Give me the power to choose which device I wish to use .

Thanks for the help .
Last edited by onemore on Sun 22 Jul 2007, 06:17, edited 2 times in total.

John Doe

#5 Post by John Doe »

onemore wrote:John Doe , clicking link does nothing nor does pasting link into browser , just brings me to search area again .
no i'm just dumb sometimes. i should have checked that that didn't work (or perhaps i wiped out the wrong query string).

i was trying to lead to to a list of results for a search of 'EVDO' or 'CDMA' in this forum. there is some discussion around.

the process (after you get your aircard going) is the same as for my phone. i've just never made it all the way.

here was one of the last threads on it:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=6581

onemore

#6 Post by onemore »

John Doe wrote:
onemore wrote:John Doe , clicking link does nothing nor does pasting link into browser , just brings me to search area again .
no i'm just dumb sometimes. i should have checked that that didn't work (or perhaps i wiped out the wrong query string).

i was trying to lead to to a list of results for a search of 'EVDO' or 'CDMA' in this forum. there is some discussion around.

the process (after you get your aircard going) is the same as for my phone. i've just never made it all the way.

here was one of the last threads on it:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=6581
Thanks John Doe
I was trying to get the developers of Puppy to do a dialer like the rest where you can specify which /dev/tty you want or a larger list of choices .

Puppy 2.17 was stated as a Modem Release .
I like the interface of Puppy better than DSL but Puppy does not allow users to set up a USB Modem as easy .