pupslack

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
zwiebug

pupslack

#1 Post by zwiebug »

hi puppy-maniacs :)

i am trying to modify puppy 2.16 in a way that it can be upgraded with additional software using the slapt-get / gslapt tools. these tools will somewhat provide dependency checking and for my first testings, it works very well. it should be seen as a very experimental setting though 8)

i also added fvwm-crystal to puppy which i like more than jwm.

tell me what you think about my little project.

if all works well enough for being released i remaster it as a live-cd. i have to test this first, don't know how slapt-get installed packages behave on the live-cd environment, e.g. if they are recognized/added at all when remastering the cd...

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

fvwm is a very reliable window manager (well the fvwm95 that we used for a long time was)

Please tell us more about your project, in particular any obstacles you need help with (not that I am of much use - but others are :)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=18857

Anyways good luck :)
Last edited by Lobster on Mon 16 Jul 2007, 04:10, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

zwiebug

#3 Post by zwiebug »

it's still very conceptual, i am a total linux newbie when it comes to tgz packages/slackware. but i read on the page that one can try to install slackware packages to add software to puppy, so i started searching on the net for a decent package manager for slackware and found swaret & slapt-get the only two that can handle package dependencies like apt-get does for debian. slapt-get also has a nice frontend named gslapt. i am in the very beginning with testing these tools and i already broke much on my installed puppy :) before these tools can be used in puppy i had to add "pkgtools", "diff", "comm", "attr", "acl", "coreutils", "bin" manually to the system. then i added some slackware online repositories to the config files of slapt-get and swaret and now a simple "swaret/slapt-get --install firefox" installs firefox 2.0.0.4 on my puppy :)

don't get me wrong, i don't want to replace the petget system, it works wonderful and is bullet-proof for puppy, but i just wanted to have more packages / software to choose from.

the drawback of those tools :

as puppy is not slackware, the usage of those tools may brake up the system

those tools cache parts of the online repositories locally, that means the system gets bigger (not much though i assume)

MU

#4 Post by MU »

I use gslapt too from time to time :)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=11929

I think since 2.14 or 2.16 Puppys packagemanager petget also is able to install slackware-packages.
But I did not try that yet myself.

Mark

alienjeff

#5 Post by alienjeff »

Gekkko is on a similar mission. Perhaps joining forces could save all involved unnecessary work.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Eyes-Only

#6 Post by Eyes-Only »

I agree with aj here, and I recall your dotpup of GSlapt very, very well Mark! I remember just how excited I was when you'd first come out with it that I didn't heed your warnings "For Puppy 2.xx only!" and installed it on my 1.0.9-based Puppy hard drive install anyway...

LOL! :lol: What a FUN ride that one was! It's a good thing though that back then I was wanting to break things just to discover and learn, eh? So I promptly reformatted that partition, re-installed with the latest 2.xx (can't remember which now) and I was having the time of my life then by adding all sorts of software to my little Puppy!

I bet instead of making him bark or howl if I had looked in "/var/log" I'd have found him whinning and complaining from all I ran on his back? hehe.

This sounds like a good idea zwiebug! And as long as everything will save to the pup_save.2fs file it would be great! And then like you mentioned: With a remaster to a new .iso? NICE! :)

Bonne Chance a tous!

mfg,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Gekko

#7 Post by Gekko »

hehe:
rm -rf /var/log
ln -s /dev/null /var/log ;)