Installing mydsl packages

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Bruce B

Installing mydsl packages

#1 Post by Bruce B »

I thought I read somewhere, maybe on this forum that Puppy could install mydsl packages?

If it can - please tell how.

If it can't - does anyone know how to extract the contents?

Bruce B

Re: Installing mydsl packages

#2 Post by Bruce B »

Bruce B wrote:I thought I read somewhere, maybe on this forum that Puppy could install mydsl packages?

If it can - please tell how.

If it can't - does anyone know how to extract the contents?
Answering my own question. I just figured out that the mydsl .dsl packages can be extracted with tar.

tar xvzf example-0.1.dsl

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

So are they just tarballs? Do they have some special install script in them?

Bruce B

Just tarballs?

#4 Post by Bruce B »

BarryK wrote:So are they just tarballs? Do they have some special install script in them?
Looks like they are just tarballs, only that they extract the files to the current directory as opposed to a subdirectory.

I don't see an install script. FWIW - The package I downloaded and extracted was qtparted.

If I learn any more I'll let you know.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

yes, i think a dsl file is just a tar.gz
i've converted a few dsl's to dotpups

an mplayer packager is larger than 1 meg, so i looked for a binary package that would work in Puppy ... i found a couple that would work ... i picked the dsl package because it seemed to be the best one to use

any binary package is similar in principle to other binary packages ... rpm, deb, dsl, pup

what i wanted for dotpups was a very simple structure ... built-in md5sum error checking ... and a script that runs automatically, for maximum flexibility

and i chose zip format because server mime settings for gz files are often wrong, and can cause problems downloading

anyway, many dsl's (and rpm's and deb's ... and tgz's) can be useable ... sometimes there are library and dependency problems

Bruce B

Working good

#6 Post by Bruce B »

GuestToo wrote:
what i wanted for dotpups was a very simple structure ... built-in md5sum error checking ... and a script that runs automatically, for maximum flexibility

and i chose zip format because server mime settings for gz files are often wrong, and can cause problems downloading

anyway, many dsl's (and rpm's and deb's ... and tgz's) can be useable ... sometimes there are library and dependency problems
These dotpups are working out swell. Just wanted to say thanks to you all for these packages!