printer setup - which distro is closest to Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
a302b

printer setup - which distro is closest to Puppy?

#1 Post by a302b »

Hi all,

I just got a printer and am trying to install it for puppy, and am getting all sorts of trouble. It is the HP PSC 1410 All-in-one (printer, scanner copier).

I am running Puppy 2.13, and I couldn't figure out how to install the printer (it wasn't on the dropdown menu on the printer wizard). So I searched online, and found the hplip printer driver (from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/hpli ... -2.7.6.run ), which is apparently the correct one.

When I tried to install it, it looked like it needed python. After I installed python from petget, the driver installer seemed to work.

Unfortunately, I only got as far as the following question:
Choose the name of the distro/OS that most closely matches your system:

Num. Distro/OS Name
---- ------------------------
0 Unknown or not listed
1 Mepis
2 Debian
3 SUSE Linux
4 Mandriva Linux
5 Fedora
6 Red Hat
7 Red Hat Enterprise Linux
8 Ubuntu
9 PCLinuxOS
10 IGOS
After that, it comes up with a whole list of errors for dependencies which I am pretty sure are there. Here is what it says:
error: The distro/OS that you are running is unsupported and there are required dependencies missing. Please manually install the missing dependencies and then re-run this installer.
error: The following REQUIRED dependencies are missing and need to be installed before the installer can be run:
error: Missing REQUIRED dependency: gcc (gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler)
error: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libpthread (libpthread - POSIX threads library)
error: Missing REQUIRED dependency: make (make - GNU make utility to maintain groups of programs)
error: Missing REQUIRED dependency: python-devel (python-devel - Python development files)
error: Missing REQUIRED dependency: cups-devel (cups-devel- Common Unix Printing System development files)
error: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libusb (libusb - USB library)
error: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libtool (libtool - Library building support services)
error: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libjpeg (libjpeg - JPEG library)
Can anyone help with any part of this? It looks like it should be simple to work around, but I am really stuck at the moment.

Thanks so much!

-Jay.

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

if you check with openprinting.org here:

http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cg ... P-PSC_1410

they do say you need hplip to get full functionality. unfortunately there's only one thread, that i'm aware off, where somebody's managed to get hplip working with puppy...(just search the forum for hplip). i tried using an already compiled hplip slax module, (slax modules often work in puppy by being renamed from .mo to .sfs, then loading the .sfs file), but in this case it needed both python & python-gtk modules & a few other things that i can't recall, so i threw the towel in!

but if you're only after the printer functionality, then hpijs is available as a .pet fron the puppy ibiblio site.