1.0.2 multisession

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
littlewelshboy

1.0.2 multisession

#1 Post by littlewelshboy »

Maybe this should go in bug report...

I've just started using 1.0.2 as a multisession, the previous problems I was having with 1.0.0a multisession: http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=140 have been resolved only to be replaced by some other, bigger issues:

Just typing

Code: Select all

# cp -f /etc/rc.d/rc.reboot-cd /tmp/rc.reboot 
into a command window
didn't get me working in multisession mode without selecting the burner via the CD/DVD Wizard. Something to bear in mind if you're a Linux newbie, like me.

The burning at shutdown feature worked almost properly once, the screen where you hit <enter> to burn went a bit strange but it did save my keyboard, mouse, video and network configuration which is the main thing!

Now every other time I go to do a shutdown it doesn't ask wheather I want to burn. If I type

Code: Select all

# cp -f /etc/rc.d/rc.reboot-cd /tmp/rc.reboot 
into a command window before the reboot it *asks* but does not *do*

I'm getting frustrated with this, especially since he new version has such great features like the ability to easily download The Gimp, Opera & Skype. I can download and run these but as the CD burning isn't working I can't save them.

I know Barry warns 1.0.2 multisession is of alpha quality. This is an example of the problems it causes. But I really like the idea it so I will persist with my 2 CDs. One that plays CDs properly and the other that can save my work...

Just for the record I could live without the splash screen and Mozilla seems a lot more bloaty than Firefox.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

The new kernel will take a little while to sort out but it promises good things for the future.

edwin

#3 Post by edwin »

IT IS WORKING !!!

I just tried burning another multisession puppy-1.0.2 CD using the Gcombust method and it worked !!!

I booted to it

From a console entered the magical code: cp -f /etc/rc.d/rc.reboot-cd /tmp/rc.reboot

Shut down the system and was prompted to save to CD and replied "Yes". It wrote to the CD properly.

I removed the Hard Drive and rebooted to the CD and it loaded ( but I did notice some I/O error messages from hdc which is the CD drive on this machine )

It is up and running, the ethermet card required no configuration, web is working via adsl, and I am sending this from puppy.

I will investigate further. But it is looking good

I believe that the Gcombust method via Puppy-1.0.2 is a reliable method of burning the CD.

Sincerely,
Edwin

edwin

#4 Post by edwin »

DEFINATELY WORKING !!!

I have been rebooting without the Hard Drive installed and puppy-1.0.2 burned as multisession is working.

Observations:

1/ I am still getting some I/O errors when booting from the multisession CD

2/ It seems that one should save data to /root in order to have it saved to the CD when exiting.

Great job !

Sincerely,
Edwin

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Edwin,
yes, those errors at bootup seem to be a limitation of one of the driver modules, ide-cd or whatever, can't handle multiple tracks properly. But it still works!