how to configure proxy in puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
puppian

#21 Post by puppian »

Bruce B wrote:You have 100% loss and I have 0% loss.
That's really a big difference :)
Bruce B wrote:Are you blocking PORT 8 with a firewall? Are you behing a router or something between your PC and a direct Internet connection?
I don't know. I install the Morizot firewall through the wizard.
If I don't know anything about router does it mean that I'm not behind one?

Btw, would the way I installed the modem driver make any difference? As Puppy 1.0.3 doesn't have the make/install command, I install it using insmod -f and a few other lines, something like this:
insmod -f Intel536.o
rm /dev/536ep
mknod /dev/536ep c 240 1
ln -s /dev/536ep /dev/modem

It's an Intel 536 modem and the driver was downloaded from Intel's website.
Would the lack of configuration, which should have been done by make/install, be the cause of the problem?
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005

Bruce B

#22 Post by Bruce B »

I guess you are not behind a router.

I presume a direct telephone modem Internet connection.

Let's look at my successful ping again

64 bytes from 66.102.7.104: icmp_seq=0 ttl=243 time=24.0 ms

I have a really, really fast connection. You don't.

One possibility is ping works, but the ttl (time to live) gets exceeded. Unfortunately, Puppy's ping doesn't seem have a way of extending the tll. It is a busybox ping lacking some features.

I would consider the possiblity of a problem due to a slow connection as one possibility. But there are other possibilities also.

The PING PORT IS PORT 8 - it accepts a specific type of protocol called an ICMP packet and responds to it with a reply.

The ping request is sent from your computer to the other computers PORT 8.

At this point we don't even know if the ping request is leaving your computer, as it could be blocked on outbound.

I'll PM you later with my IP address and see if my log shows receiving your request. That's about alll I can think of right now.

Bruce B

#23 Post by Bruce B »

Afterthought: If you have Windows on the same computer you can try pinging it from Windows. As I remember from the Dark Ages, Windows ping has a way of extending the time to live and other options.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#24 Post by GuestToo »

you seem to have a direct dialup connection
the driver could be blocking the ping packets
i don't think it should be doing that though

i made the Morizot firewall here
i think i just used the default configuration
i hacked it a bit, so if it doesn't work right you can blame me

it isn't very restrictive
basically, it should allow all requests out
it should allow all replies to requests in
it should block all other incoming packets

so it should not block the pings
i use that firewall, and it doesn't block pings on my machine

you can easily shut down the firewall to see if it's the problem ... just type:

/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall-morizot stop

you can start it again by typing:

/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall-morizot

or something like that ... i don't actually use Puppy's firewall wizard ... i just put my own copies of the firewall in my-applications/bin, so i can just type
fw stop
fw
fw-azureus

i hacked it a bit, to stop the logging ... i found the logging annoying on the command line if i shut down X

another simple firewall which should be good is Quicktables ... there's a Quicktables dotpup somewhere

GuestToo
Puppy Master

hacked PupGet

#25 Post by GuestToo »

here's a slightly hacked version of PupGet from Puppy 1.0.5 alpha 2

it may or may not be compatible with the version of Puppy you are using

this should install in my-roxapps

i disabled the ping test
Attachments
pupget105a2hacked.pup
hacked PupGet
(13.54 KiB) Downloaded 347 times

puppian

#26 Post by puppian »

Bruce B wrote:I guess you are not behind a router.
I presume a direct telephone modem Internet connection.
Yes, it's a direct telephone modem Internet connection :)
Bruce B wrote:One possibility is ping works, but the ttl (time to live) gets exceeded. Unfortunately, Puppy's ping doesn't seem have a way of extending the tll. It is a busybox ping lacking some features.
I'll PM you later with my IP address and see if my log shows receiving your request. That's about alll I can think of right now.
Yes please.
Bruce B wrote:If you have Windows on the same computer you can try pinging it from Windows.
I have both Win98 and XP on the same computer, how to do I ping it from Windows? Type something in the command line?
GuestToo wrote:you can easily shut down the firewall to see if it's the problem
Tried it according to your instruction but there's no difference. So the problem is not caused by the Morizot firewall.
GuestToo wrote:here's a slightly hacked version of PupGet
Hey it works!!!!
I've downloaded the Impress Slide Presentation package in seconds!
So with help from both of you we can now conclude that the problem is caused by ping. Thanks! :D

Now we can go on to check Bruce assumption:
"One possibility is ping works, but the ttl (time to live) gets exceeded..."

puppian

#27 Post by puppian »

Btw, when I go to http://www.all-nettools.com/toolbox to try their ping test, it gives:

www.l.google.com (64.233.161.104)
4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% packet loss
Host reachable, average round-trip time: 12.209 ms

It seems working! I don't know why...
I'm using Opera to access all-nettools.com.

Edit: Typing ping www.google.com under WinXP gives this:

E:\Documents and Settings\supxp02>ping www.google.com

Pinging www.l.google.com [66.102.7.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 66.102.7.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Again 100% loss.
I'm wondering whether the performance of my connection is affected with the 100% loss?
Or it doesn't matter at all?
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005

John Doe

#28 Post by John Doe »

Bruce B wrote:Thinking more about it - I'd say that error 10 and 11 is generated by a failure of the ping command to get a response.
Well this explains my problem. I block all ICMP packets and thought the package installer just didn't work. I've been getting this since I started:

ERROR: 10 IS UNREACHABLE!
...are you connected to the Internet?
...maybe that site is down? Try another.

I ended up just downloading them and installing them from my local system. I think pupget should only fail on the actual HTTP GET or FTP request, not a ping.

Bruce B

#29 Post by Bruce B »

John Doe wrote:
Bruce B wrote:Thinking more about it - I'd say that error 10 and 11 is generated by a failure of the ping command to get a response.
Well this explains my problem. I block all ICMP packets and thought the package installer just didn't work. I've been getting this since I started:

ERROR: 10 IS UNREACHABLE!
...are you connected to the Internet?
...maybe that site is down? Try another.

I ended up just downloading them and installing them from my local system. I think pupget should only fail on the actual HTTP GET or FTP request, not a ping.
It seems apparent to me, by reading the script that the pinging used as a health test to see if it's good to go through with the rest of the procedure.

Now that it is discovered people that some people are having problems with ping, wget could be used to check health if someone wants to rewrite the script. Also wget would use the actual server ports and get actual server response.

play with things like:

wget www.ibiblio.org --server-response --tries=1 --timeout=15 --cookies=off --output-file=/tmp/health.test

wget ftp.ibiblio.org --server-response --tries=2 --timeout=30 --output-file=/dev/null

(i don't know off hand the optimum timeout and tries to determine a pass or fail or way to go about it)

I think the key word string to look for in an automated health test is 200 OK

Bruce B

#30 Post by Bruce B »

Puppian, I don't Windows, but I'm almost postive you can adjust the ping ttl with the Windows ping.

Type ping /? and see what options it gives. If you can adjust the ttl as I suspect, you can determine if this is your problem, and more or less how much ttl you would need for pinging.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#31 Post by GuestToo »

you can install and use the standard ping program in Puppy too ... go to my dotpups page, press ctrl+F to search for ping

puppian

#32 Post by puppian »

GuestToo wrote:you can install and use the standard ping program in Puppy too ... go to my dotpups page, press ctrl+F to search for ping
Thanks! Bruce has also sent me something similar too, many thanks for everyone's help! You guys are just great :)

With the new ping,

Code: Select all

PING www.l.google.com (66.249.89.99) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 202.130.xx.xx: icmp_seq=1 Dest Unreachable, Bad Code: 9
From 202.130.xx.xx icmp_seq=1 Dest Unreachable, Bad Code: 9
From 202.130.xx.xx icmp_seq=2 Dest Unreachable, Bad Code: 9
From 202.130.xx.xx icmp_seq=3 Dest Unreachable, Bad Code: 9
From 202.130.xx.xx icmp_seq=4 Dest Unreachable, Bad Code: 9
From 202.130.xx.xx icmp_seq=5 Dest Unreachable, Bad Code: 9
Any idea?
Btw, I just know that I've forgotten to disable my firewall when I try ping in WinXp :oops:
Now with my firewall (McAfee) disabled, it gives:

Code: Select all

E:\Documents and Settings\supxp02>ping www.google.com

Pinging www.l.google.com [66.249.89.104] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 202.130.xx.xxx: Destination net unreachable.

Ping statistics for 66.249.89.104:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
0% loss for the first time...though I don't know what that means :)

Bruce B

#33 Post by Bruce B »

I don't know.

Ping yourself at 127.0.0.1 and at your Internet IP address and see what you get.

Increase the ttl

If you have enough ttl and your really are not blocking yourself with a firewall or something, call your ISP. Make their tech help explain it to you.

puppian

#34 Post by puppian »

Bruce B wrote:I don't know.

Ping yourself at 127.0.0.1 and at your Internet IP address and see what you get.
ping 127.0.0.1 gives 0% loss:
================
PING 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.130 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.112 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.115 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.114 ms

--- 127.0.0.1 ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 2997ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.112/0.117/0.130/0.015 ms
================

Ping ISP IP address still gives 'bad code 9' and
4 packets transmitted, 0 received, +4 errors, 100% packet loss, time 3050ms
================
Bruce B wrote:Increase the ttl
How? By typing myping -t XX in rxvt?
And what should be the value of XX?
Thanks for your patience with me. I'm a newbie in networking :)
Bruce B wrote:If you have enough ttl and your really are not blocking yourself with a firewall or something, call your ISP. Make their tech help explain it to you.
As I know nothing about 'ping' I'm asking another silly question :)
Does it really matter if ping results in 100% packet loss?
And is my connection speed affected by that?
My browser, gFTP, wget...etc all seems working, except pupget.
So perhaps I should leave it that way?
(Of course it wiill be great if I can have '0% packet lose', but maybe it's too difficult for a newbie like me :))

Hank

#35 Post by Hank »

For what it's worth, the ping issue could be due to location. I live in Central America and the way things are configured here, most likely with my internet provider, I can't ping anything beyond the name servers of my provider.

In Windows you can see if this is your problem by opening a dos window and running a trace route command. This will show you all the connections made between your computer and google (up to 30 hops):

tracert www.google.com

I found this thread in response to my inability to use PupGet. And now I know why. Thanks for the insight!
Experience is a wonderful thing; it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

puppian

#36 Post by puppian »

Thanks for the info Hank.
I've tried tracert www.google.com in XP (with firewall disabled) and it says "Destination net unreachable". I guess that means it's the ISP problem?

Anyway, it's great that we now know how to get PupGet works. Thanks BruceB and G2 :)