Weird whine booting 1.0.4 multisession

Booting, installing, newbie
LiTDiE

Weird whine booting 1.0.4 multisession

#1 Post by LiTDiE »

hi all, first lemme start with my computer specs.

DFI kt400a lanparty m/b
amd 2500 processor 1.8 gig
1.25 gig ddr geil pc3200 mem
western digital cavier 40 gig ide drive
lite-on dvd 1633 soho burner
samsung lord only knows what model cd burner.
oh and crap pny 5200 geforce fx video. 128 megs mem.

ok, i downloaded, md5'd, and burned puppy-1.0.4-mozilla.iso.
i used k3b or whatever that kde burner is. and made sure i clicked multi-session.

no problem.

when i reboot, puppy pops up, i put the number 5 on and go thru the ritual.

no matter what drive i use i get this EXTREMELY annoying high pitched whine from my computer.

im guessing its the memory, i run memtest86 and other different stress tests and pass with flying colors.

any ideas?

ty in advance and im sorry for the kinda long post lol.

Trobin

#2 Post by Trobin »

You sure itś not your cdrom/write drive?

I

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Does Puppy go ahead and boot anyway?

Bruce B

Re: Weird whine booting 1.0.4 multisession

#4 Post by Bruce B »

LiTDiE wrote:ok, i downloaded, md5'd, and burned puppy-1.0.4-mozilla.iso.
i used k3b or whatever that kde burner is. and made sure i clicked multi-session.
I didn't know you could (or should) burn multi-session with puppy-1.0.4-mozilla.iso. If it works - it works. What can I say?

#5 Post by Guest »

ok lemme go step by step on what happens.

i put the cd in, reboot the machine, i get the puppy prompt, type "5" and hit enter.

as soon as it asks me the questions about multi session, it starts whining. loudly.

i havent tried burning it regularly yet. i will do tomorrow and let yall know.

danleff

#6 Post by danleff »

Sounds like one of two things to me. Either the CDRW media is the issue (quality?) or the speed of the media is not compatible with the drive. Your description sounds like the CDRW drive spinning the disk and trying to read it.

1. If you are sure the disk is OK and compatible with the system, burn the iso at 2X speed.

2. I've had trouble with k3b at times. Try different burning software.

3. Isolate where the sound is coming from. You can lightly place your hand over the CDRW drive door when the whinning starts and see if it seems to muffle somewhat. Or open the case and see if you can indeed isolate the noise is coming from the CDRW drive or elsewhere. Make sure it is not the CPU fan under load or failing.

...and if you open the case, please don't stick any fingers inside the case while the system is running!

4. If the CDRW drive has been used a lot, try cleaning the optical lens. Consult your manufacturer's web site on how to do this, if you don't know how.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Ian »

If the whine only starts when you put the CD in the drive it is either your CD and/or the drive.

Memory sticks just die they don't scream during the process.

Follow danleff's advice and when you said you clicked multisession on the burn I think you should have set it to burn an image or is this what you meant.

Perkins

#8 Post by Perkins »

um... I'm rather new at this. Been working with computers for ages, but not Linux... Is this whining coming from the machine's circuit boards? Or its speakers? When I first booted the thing on my machine I was reading along as it loaded, (Yes, I read very fast. :P )and about the time it loaded the drivers for the sound card it started making this terrible, high-pitched whining noise... Seems it defaults to piping the microphone input straight through to the speaker output... If you have a mic on your computer, unplug it and see what happens. Also, if your cd drive has a direct link to your sound card I've had that do strange things under certain circumstances, but not with Linux.

I would suggest doing a couple things. Firstly, open up the case and blow out all the dust and dirt. Fans and power supply circuits can make noises if they're dirty and you put them under load. If that doesn't fix it, then carefully move the CD drive outside the case. This will make it quite easy to tell if the noise is coming from the drive or the computer. If it's the drive, then try cleaning it or replacing it. If it's the computer, then it's either harmless, or a sign of an impending catastrophic hardware failure. It's rather difficult to say which, so test it thoroughly.

Oh, a piece of advice, if you're going to monkey around inside the case, try to keep bare skin in contact with the metal skin whenever you're touching parts inside. Especially if you're in a high static environment. I fried a computer once when I was about 6 because I neglected that.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Perkins wrote:um... I'm rather new at this.... it's either harmless, or a sign of an impending catastrophic hardware failure. It's rather difficult to say which, so test it thoroughly...
OhhhKaaay. :lol:

Actually, your observation that it happened to you right after the sound card drivers loaded is a good one. If there is no microphone, then unplug the speakers to see if it's coming from the sound system.

danleff

#10 Post by danleff »

I wonder if LiTDiE solved the problem? He got everybody's attention and has not posted back since September 9?
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

Perkins

#11 Post by Perkins »

I hope you're not laughing at me too much. :P I'd be willing to bet that I've soldered more broken motherboards back together than you have. And all but one of them worked too. (The one that didn't managed to rip a leg off an IC. I reattached it, but the darn thing just didn't work quite right after that. *shrug*)

Capacitors sometimes whine when they're leaking voltage, transformers can whine from the hysteresis of the magnetic fields depending on the operating frequency, and cold solder joints can do anything from buzz to whine to play a local radio station.

What any of this will do to the machine is hard to say. Anything from failure to run to spontaneous smoke and flame is possible. If it's making noise when you start reading the CD, and it's not the pc speaker, sound card, or modem speaker, and the thing still boots properly, then I'd look carefully at the drive and the power supply. The PS comes under load when you spin up a drive, so you could easily be getting your whine from there too...

If you can't get rid of the whine, then just sit down and eat some cheese to go along with it. :P