Puppy Foundation

Promote Puppy !
puppian

#21 Post by puppian »

Just found out that the look of our wiki can be customized using style sheet (css)

Some examples,
http://wikka.jsnx.com/WikkaSites#hn_A_s ... ble_layout

And these places look good for hosting wiki (free and commercial),
http://c2.com/cgi-bin/wiki?WikiFarms

As to other wiki engines,
Top Ten Wiki Engines
Choosing a Wiki
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#22 Post by Lobster »

As far as I am concerned the speed issue can be overcome, ideally by the developers. The last update of wakka was January 2005. They have future plans so it is still going.

Here are our amended goals:
  • 1. Combine Barrys Web pages and the Wiki
    2. Access the combined location (which we can then move as / if required) by Barrys existing puppylinux.com or register PuppyLinuxFoundation.com
    3. Add your name (preferably including real name) to the Founders (on the wiki page)
    4. Provide, maintain and if necessary fund a Puppy server
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

acklan

#23 Post by acklan »

I have only know of puppy for a few weeks and have no expertise if programing or development, but could I help? I know some of the directors at CAMD @ LSU, http://www.camd.lsu.edu/ and BRCC, http://www.brcc.cc.la.us/ , and would like to aproach them about helping the project. I know this is around the world from you but if I could be of assistance please contact me.
I would be glad to make the contact and arrange the two parties to meet (I guess via telephone).
I am a fire fighter and have dedicated myself to public service. This is one of the few thing in the computer field I could do to help. I see this OS making PC available to persons who would have never had the chance to own a computer. If you wish to contact me , email me at acklan_at_cox.net .

Good luck whatever you decide.
John Braud,
Baton Rouge, Louisiana USA

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#24 Post by Lobster »

Glad you are OK. I had relatives praying for you.

Help? Of course you can help. Add yourself to the group of Founders. I would be very happy for The Foundation to have a Server or Server space at BRCC or an educational institution - if that is possible. The Foundation will be open to offers of sponsorship from CAMD and others.

I am designating next weekend 9-12 September 05 as
Puppy Foundation Weekend

That means:

* Getting to know each other on IRC
* Setting up Skype crusty_lobster is my skype name - conferencing via Puppy (and video conferencing if ready)
* Radio Puppy (pawed casting) introduced
Last edited by Lobster on Tue 06 Sep 2005, 06:59, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Pizzasgood

#25 Post by Pizzasgood »

I would like to apply for the position of LBWCRSARIWHRDTGOHLR ("Lazy bum who contributes random stuff at random intervals when he randomly decides to get off his lazy rump"), but I don't think I can satisfactorly occupy that position, because I'm too lazy and random. :(

I'll think it over overnight (actually, it would be overmorning by now.....).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

rarsa

#26 Post by rarsa »

I have only know of puppy for a few weeks and have no expertise if programing or development,
Hey! I am on the other side of the spectrum. I know nothing about contacts or funraising a penny but I have expertise in programming, development and the likes!

I didn't know that the founders list was already open. Did I mention that I do care?

I prefer to put my effort on developing puppy than on organizing it, that's why I haven't been around this thread that much.

So count me in.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#27 Post by Lobster »

There will probably be heavy demand for the post of LBWCRSARIWHRDTGOHLR - for now I have added you and Rarsa as Developers . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Pizzasgood

#28 Post by Pizzasgood »

Cool :) I'll try to overqualify as much as possible. Once I get done setting up 1.0.5a, I can get back to work. Puppy has grown a lot over the summer! (Up til last night, I've been using 1.0.1)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

#29 Post by Guest »

(Babbs here - Still on the road)

Hello everyone,

The foundation idea has really progressed since I was last able to check the forum. Nicely done to everyone who has spent some thought towards its advancement.

Raffy mentioned that the proven/performing servers have to be given priority... mentioned mine and John's. (For those who don't already know, I host the Chubby Puppy 1.0.4 ISO file.) I don't mind helping out where I can.

When I setup Barry's login account, I placed very few restrictions on it. I asked Barry to let me know if he found anything he needed access to or added. Additionally, if Barry would like to use one of his PuppyLinux domains on my server, that is an option that doesn't cost me anything additional. Being of modist means, and with fuel costs going through the roof, my concern is with any additional expenses since I rent the server and bandwidth myself. At this point, there have not been any additional charges associated with hosting Chubby Puppy, but the first month of Chubby's release took me over the bandwidth allocation (I wasn't charged by my provider).

Text files (html) and small images produce almost no overhead on web servers so expanding Puppy documentation there is an option. Putting additional versions of Puppy there is another option. Also, if Barry would like to allow login access to the Puppy account to trusted members of the Puppy community, I can provide individual logins with limitations as specified by Barry.

I am open to discussing this further as needed.

Babbs

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#30 Post by Lobster »

Thanks Babbs

Will keep your kind offer in mind
:)

We have a list of founders from Australia, Philipines, USA, UK, Canada and Belgium
here:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/FoundationPuppy

which everyone is welcome to join

This morning tried to get Skype working with Ian and Khlrevolutionist - does anyone know if we need to be using ALSA? I think Khlrevolutionist managed to hear me but all I could hear was what sounded like out of tune banjos and squawks . . . will keep trying . . . meanwhile am spending more time on IRC again

Qnext released as a dotpup we have not been able to get working yet and a java based video conference software is also being attempted - will keep you posted
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#31 Post by JohnMurga »

Hey

The people I use ...

http://web.tera-byte.com/index.cfm?fuse ... ces.shared

They've been pretty good with me over the last 7 years ...

If hosting is needed right away I can probably spare about 50Mb and create FTP accounts for it right now (space is tight right now).

Cheers
JohnM

babbs

#32 Post by babbs »

Ugh! I'm back home now, but while I was on the road, my PC got moved to the closet... Since my 3 year old is the only one who knows how to log into her account on Fedora, my girlfriend didn't want her to mess the computer up... What they don't know is that my PC is dual boot Chubby Puppy 1.0.4/Fedora 3. I don't allow my teen & pre-teen to have unsupervised access to the web, and my 3 year old doesn't want anyone bothering her when she's playing a game. :twisted:

If they knew just how easy Puppy was to use, I'd have to fight them for a turn on my own computer. :evil:

Back to what I was saying in my last post... The account that I set up for Barry has a 750MB storage limit. I initially offered him 500MB, but stated that I'd go as high as a 1GB if he needed it. Since he didn't say one way or the other, I split the two and went with 750MB (truth be known, I can spare upto 2GB for the Puppy project). Chubby Puppy is currently taking up just shy of 100MB. My only concern is getting hit with extra bandwidth charges (none assessed to me yet :P ) since my server account is only allocated 500GB per month. (I can pay for the next level which will allow for 1500GB of transfers per month.)

Matt (aka Babbs)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#33 Post by BarryK »

babbs,
what are the charges?

my host for goosee.com has unlimited bandwidth, but sharing with others on the server seems to be a bit of a problem sometimes. I think my host offers some faster hosting options. They are www.arrowweb.net.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#34 Post by GuestToo »

in the case of the wiki, maybe the time to do a reverse-dns lookup of the ip of the person accessing the wiki might be the main cause of slow response ... on the other hand, maybe sharing the server's resources is the main problem

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#35 Post by Lobster »

There is a known bug of the wakka wiki that if you are not logged in the response time may be slow - not good. One of the reasons we may change to an updated wakka wiki in the future. At tthe moment what we have works well for most people.

Any way we can get this bug removed is to the good

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

dvw86

#36 Post by dvw86 »

I contacted Open Source Development Labs to see if they could help us out. OSDL is the employer of Linus Torvalds and Andrew Morton. I just happen to live near by their Portland location. I need input from all of you though if I am to communicate with them effectively.

Here are the emails up to today beginning with the oldest.
Diane M. Peters,
I am contacting you in regards to Puppy Linux. It is a Linux distribution that was created and is maintained by Barry Kauler. There are now quite a few developers and end users. Puppy has been reviewed by magazines around the world and enjoys a consistent ranking in the mid 20's at Ditrowatch. The developers and active uses of Puppy feel that in order for Puppy to progress and last, things should be more organized. Even Barry admits that he can not work on Puppy forever. It needs to eventually be handed over to a group of people. We are at a loss though as to the legal options and requirements. I was hoping that you may be able to point us in the right direction. We would be grateful for any help or advise that you could offer. Thank you for your time.
Dan Van Wormer
Kennewick, WA
Dan,

Diane Peters suggested I contact you regarding your inquiry. It looks like
Puppy Linux is gaining traction, now the question is, where do you want to
go with it?

I would be happy to discuss some scenarios and provide you with some
introductions, but the fundamental question I have is: Do you want to see
broader adoption (and what audience) or do you want this to be a developer
platform? Or, perhaps both?

We can up time to talk next week if you like.

Regards,

Paula M. Hunter
Paula,
I have been on vacation and just received your email. Thank you for responding. I would love to talk with you and discuss the future of Puppy Linux. Puppy is mainly a "user" oriented Linux being it is stripped of a compiler but there is a "developer" version with a built in compiler. The other people involved with Puppy and ultimately Barry would have to decide on the direction to be taken, but I would be honored to be a point of contact since I live close to you. When would be a good time to call you?
Dan

Greatful Puppy User

Make it desktop king

#37 Post by Greatful Puppy User »

Having seen the great speed and stablity of Puppy, there is no doubt in my mind that it has a solid future for the desktop.

My 2 cents is that Puppy should be built into as many machines as possible.

As to getting a group behind Puppy, all you hav to do is form your own company. Why, I might even join.

PZ

dvw86

#38 Post by dvw86 »

Paula, the OSDL representative had the following thoughts.

If Puppy is going to target the desktop environment it will face the same issues that Red Hat and Suse encountered. The biggest issue being supporting it's customers. Red Hat and Suse used larger corporations such as HP, IBM, and Novell to provide the technical support to the end users. It would be wise to work with an established hardware provider to overcome this challenge.

Because of the support issue, there is a limited market for the Linux desktop. The people who are willing to use Linux as a desktop can be broken into three main groups. The first is universities. While schools and universities have standards that the computers and operating systems must comply with, the computer science, physics, engineering, and other more technical departments tend to stray from the standards and do whatever they want. The second group are the corporations that don't care about corporate standards. They will use whatever gets the job done the best/fastest. Examples would be DreamWorks, Pixar, genome research, and other scientific fields. The third group are the second and third world countries. Given Puppy's unique qualities it is well suited for this group. Puppy can run on old and inexpensive (thinPC) hardware.

It is a bit of a mystery why Linux has become so excepted in these countries. Why are they willing to use it without support from large corporations? Many just don't want to pay Microsoft when they can get the OS for free. Other countries governments are endorsing Linux. Even still OSDL has formed a Desktop Working Group to try and figure out what is drawing them to Linux, and to

rarsa

#39 Post by rarsa »

Yes, support is the main challenge, specially knowing that to keep puppy small, hardware detection and hardware drivers for puppy are scarse.

The idea of a HW vendor sounds great as controling the HW environment would limit the support requirements. (You configure puppy for some known hardware).

I'm glad that you had the terrific idea of contacting someone with experience on this topic.

cthisbear

#40 Post by cthisbear »

Why can't Puppy be sold to banks and credit unions? I do all my banking on puppy although St George bank is the only one that plays up,
Java issues. For that I use PC Linux, very good but a big
download.Personally I do not know much about Linux. What I do find is that the majority of people do not know anything Linux related either, let alone Windows. They also have a brand mentality.
Want a computer go to Harvey Norman even though the local computer shop gives more bang for the Bucks with a clone model.
This means if Harvey stocks it , it must be good. Personally I wouldn't touch their products for quids, however I digress.
Maybe approach Harvey for a banner link etc, and supply some
CDs instore for clients who purchase a computer etc. Other people
who want a copy and don't buy - make a gold coin donation for charity,
preferably one that helps kids etc like Father Chris Reilly.
You don't make money but people log on to your site. Harvey doesn't make money but he's giving a freebie and being seen as charitable.
And people can still have Mr Microsoft but "hey if you worry
about banking- give Puppy a try" line of attack.
Aussies are conservative no matter what they say.
Sell it to financial institutions with all their sites bookmarked in the
browser under Banks, Credit Unions, Insurance, Super etc.
Sell Puppy as more secure, less fear of fraud, and basically as a
service that will save them money short and long term and also protect the customer. And how about stating that even if your computer goes down Boot Up with Puppy,and you can still Email, bank etc.
Market Puppy as the "Inspector Rex" of computing.
You are all doing a brilliant job, I salute you.