Abby pup - preconfigured pup001 for 1.0.3 Bare Bones

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
dvw86

Abby pup - preconfigured pup001 for 1.0.3 Bare Bones

#1 Post by dvw86 »

This is a pup001 file built around Puppy 1.0.3 Bare Bones. I decided to use 1.0.3 instead of 1.0.4 because 1.0.4 has an xkeyboard bug, had issues launching certain games from Ice, and would also kernel panic when hot plugging a USB mouse (not good if you are using a USB KVM). I used 1.0.3 for some time and it seemed more stable and had less bugs. So here is my best attempt at a

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

What a cool idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

8)

Look forward to know how you get on Bruce.
Your icons and layout are good. In 1.0.5 alpha - new icons are introduced. So hopefully you will be able to move from 1.0.3 to 1.05

I have the trashcan on my screen but it does not delete a desktop icon (someone explained the technical difficulty of doing this) does your trashcan delete desktop icons?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

dvw86

#4 Post by dvw86 »

Lobster wrote: I have the trashcan on my screen but it does not delete a desktop icon (someone explained the technical difficulty of doing this) does your trashcan delete desktop icons?
No, the trash works basically the same way, but it does not restart the pinboard. Instead I used puppian's idea to just refresh the trash icon. Maybe someday I can figure out how to "trash" a desktop icon :wink:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

Well Barry is on the case now (trashcan is in 1.0.5) so wonder how he is getting on with the trash?

We have a similar bottleneck with multisession Puppy. The idea and principle is very close but there exist technical niggles.

Anyway I hope people give your pup001 swap out a try - I like the idea of swapping OS arrangements in this way.

There is a myth that advanced yogis are capable of swapping their whole bio-OS or mind with others of similar ability (this is known as "cage jumping") but your pup001 is more accessible ;)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

puppian

#6 Post by puppian »

Cool!
Wish that I have a fast connection to try it out :( (I use dial-up)

This idea of sharing pup001 is great. If other things like Xfree and Open office can also be added this way using pup001, we can switch between many different puppys very easily! 8)
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

depending on what is in the pup001 file, it might be smaller if it was compressed ... amybe gzip or tar.gz

bit torrent is a good way to transfer large files reliably
(you need to find a tracker to serve files ... or run your own tracker)
resume is supported ... stop and restart downloading any time you like

the new bit torrent downloader in Opera seems to work well
just click on a link to a .torrent file and it downloads the files just like any other download you click on, in the transfer window
8.10 Preview 2: http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/

puppian

#8 Post by puppian »

GuestToo wrote:depending on what is in the pup001 file, it might be smaller if it was compressed ... amybe gzip or tar.gz

bit torrent is a good way to transfer large files reliably
(you need to find a tracker to serve files ... or run your own tracker)
resume is supported ... stop and restart downloading any time you like
thanks.
haven't tried that in puppy, have tried it long time ago in windowz
the bit torrent downloader at that time was not very well developed...

yes, must give it a try in puppy :)
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005

dvw86

#9 Post by dvw86 »

Well guys I'm sorry but I had to take my server down, so Abby and Open Office dot pup will no longer be available for download. I'm trying to get them on a bit torrent. I have been getting WAY TOO MUCH traffic and it is causing me some headaches. I think that I am getting spammed, port scanned, or pinged by someone or something (virus). As soon as I turn on my server my available bandwidth goes from about 2.5meg to about 50k. I will be looking for an alternative server for my smaller files (screen shots and things).

BlackAdder

#10 Post by BlackAdder »

Pity about that. Didn't get a chance to get a look at either this or the Open Office one. :cry:

Might a set of additional software like this be better residing in the 1.0.5 version's usr_more.sfs when it happens?
In fact, might that be a way of creating a family of versions containing coherent sets of software for "special" purposes without putting the material into either mainstream Puppy or pupxxx? For example there could be a server version, an Open Office version, a multimedia version etc..

Or are we getting too many ways of enhancing Puppy?

Just a thought.

klhrevolutionist

nope

#11 Post by klhrevolutionist »

BlackAdder I do believe we are getting more!
At the thought of downloading an sfs file for a particular reason is great, new?
I do think some improvements might be made, such as somehow mounting it without
rebooting, in the case of hard drive. Don't know anything about sfs yet.
Was reading instructions on IBM web page I googled though it seemed full of
wizardy. This would be the same with a pupfile also instead of rebooting
somehow making it work with restarting x or something?
It seems logical. And innovative, but to see what your getting without rebooting
seems good. It just seems that the first few minutes of meeting someone or
buying something is critical, if it is appealing then it is productive,
if not it is useless. So, it is kinda like what do I have to do know?
Or to a noob, what? do this and that?
You know?
Another thing would be to make the pupfile readable on any newer pup cd
It only seems logical to make past work with present?
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#12 Post by GuestToo »

apps like realplayer and flash and java come with licensing agreements ... if you publish your pup001 file, even by bit torrent, it probably would need to be licensed ... maybe flash would be ok, if your pup001 file would be considered part of Puppy, and Puppy has already licensed flash

sometimes you have to consider things like that

i have a dotpup that automatically downloads java and starts the installer ... i think it should be legal, it just downloads a file from their direct download web page ... but ianal

puppian

#13 Post by puppian »

i've tried the opera 8.10 Preview 2 and it's great!
the bit-torrent feature seems working well too. thanks.
GuestToo wrote:apps like realplayer and flash and java come with licensing agreements ...
does opera need that?
can it be dotpupped?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#14 Post by BarryK »

You guys will like the new remaster-cd script I've developed, see News page 2nd Sept.
I'm putting some final touches to it this weekend.

If you compile and install a lot of packages, they can all be copied onto a remastered CD, so will be compressed.
The PCCC script handles PupGets and DotPups that have registered with PupGet, in a nice way, as each package has /root/.packages/packagename.files, so PCCC knows what has to be copied to CD.
However without that info, PCCC may not copy all of a package -- it copies all of /usr to the CD, which probably does capture just about everything that gets installed. But it will miss anything installed into /etc, or elsewhere.
... but the script does pause when it has full built the new filesystem, so you could manually copy any extra folders across.

...um, I just thought of something, yes, I'll look into that this weekend...
If you have a binary tarball and you have installed it into Puppy, if you place that tarball somewhere, PCCC will explain where, then PCCC can look at it to see what files it has, and make sure all are installed in the new custom CD.

Anyway, this is another choice, instead of the usr_more.sfs idea.
You will get a fat usr_cram.fs instead.

klhrevolutionist

puppy

#15 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Barry will the new puppy come with a default /opt folder
this is needed by many applications???

Thanks Guest Too I was unaware of that!!!
Last edited by klhrevolutionist on Fri 02 Sep 2005, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#16 Post by GuestToo »

i think most Puppy versions have /opt
it's just when Puppy is installed to a hard drive (option 2) that /opt is missing

an installer or program that needs /opt can easily mkdir /opt if it is not there

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#17 Post by GuestToo »

i'm not sure about the Opera license
there's a license that comes with Opera when you download it
it says somewhere that Opera is "shareware"
more than one Linux distro comes with Opera installed, so i think there should be no problems with Opera

but i am not a legal expert ...

stevoomba

Re: Abby pup for 1.0.3 Bare Bones

#18 Post by stevoomba »

I'm curious as to what happened to the link to the pre-built pup001 - it gets a 404. Sounded interesting.

Steve

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Puppy Foundation Legal Department

#19 Post by Flash »

GuestToo wrote:apps like realplayer and flash and java come with licensing agreements ... if you publish your pup001 file, even by bit torrent, it probably would need to be licensed ... maybe flash would be ok, if your pup001 file would be considered part of Puppy, and Puppy has already licensed flash

sometimes you have to consider things like that
Sounds to me like something that belongs on the Puppy Foundation's short list of Things To Keep In Mind As We Promote Puppy - for thin clients and such.

Project key word: PuppyFoundation