1.04 HD install not releasing CD-ROM (Sloppily solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
jamz

1.04 HD install not releasing CD-ROM (Sloppily solved)

#1 Post by jamz »

Hi,

New to puppy - trying to install to HD. Just two partitions - hda1 and hda2 swap. When I boot off the CD, it mounts the CD and says it needs it for the (cant remember the file) usr cram? And that the CD cant be used after that. So when I run the HD install - I get to the point where it needs to copy files off the CD. It says it cant unmount the CD. Running unmount shows that its not mounted. I suspect its locking the CD rom because its using it as the system drive? I guess I need to figure out how to boot without locking up access to the CD ...any ideas..

Thanks..jamz

jamz

Getting somewhere

#2 Post by jamz »

OK..I loaded the files to ramdisk ..that did free up the CDROM. No inthe process of creating boot floppy...will see how it goes..

Jamz

Humm....

#3 Post by Guest »

OK...Step 5 Error..

" Now creating a ext2 filesystem on /dev/hda2
mke2fs 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
/dev/hda2 is mounted; will not make a files system here!
..hum, not so good, something wrong.
Press enter to quit:

Is this because I already created the partitions boot hda1 and swap hda2 earlier?

thakns jamz..

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I can't imagine why Puppy is doing this. Is it possible you have attempted to remaster Puppy?

jamz

Got it....

#5 Post by jamz »

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/HardDiskInstall helped me get int up and running on a Omnibook 5500CT laptop - 120MHZ/32MB ram..works nice very cool..

jamz..

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Do you have any idea what you did wrong, so others won't make the same mistake? Thanks. :)

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

> " Now creating a ext2 filesystem on /dev/hda2
> mke2fs 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
> /dev/hda2 is mounted; will not make a files system here!

Is this a typo or what?

As I understand it hda2 is a swap partition. If so, it is not good to try and install it there.

Jamz wants to install puppy on hda1, it probably won't install there either because it gets mounted on bootup

The way to install it is - boot from CD disk with the number 2? or 3? option. (the one that lets you select which partition to use for pup001)

Jamz has to select that option and not let it mount pup001 on the HD

That's all - this way hda1 will not be mounted and Puppy will be able to install.

jam

My Install

#8 Post by jam »

No that was not a typo - that was the actual error message. I just wanted a simple partition setup -hda1(system) and hda2(swap). I tried so many different combinations I cant really remmber them all. I just couldnt seem to get it right. So I finally followed the steps in the link from my previous post.

The key for me was to skip creating the boot floppy and just copy the reqired files from CD. But I seem to remember that I still coudnt get it to work correctly. The way I finally got it working was by creating a DOS partition and then creating hda1 and hda2 swap via cfdisk once I got into the desktop. I think the pup001 file was written to the DOS partition. Then did the GRUB install for the heck of it.

Like I said - its up and running fine, but I just couldnt figure out how to install to HD with just 2 Linux partitions. Had to make DOS partion first. Probably another way but thats how I did it.

Thanks..Jamz...

Bruce B

#9 Post by Bruce B »

Thanks for the feedback.

Presuming an Option 2 install. The easiest way to do it is along these lines:

hda1 make a type 83 partition

hda2 make a type 82 partition and mkswap

do not make a filesystem for hda1

so now you reboot Puppy CD normally, and where does it put the pup001 file?

nowhere, because there is no acceptable filesystem

after puppy boots, then run the puppy option 2 hd install and you are gauranteed to have hda1 free and unmounted. (Linux won't mount partitions with no filesystem)

Puppy's option 2 creates the ext2 file system and it doesn't give a choice about it.