JWM killed xwin! I can no longer start xwin. Help, please.

Using applications, configuring, problems
Glitchman

JWM killed xwin! I can no longer start xwin. Help, please.

#1 Post by Glitchman »

In the live CD 1.01 version, I decided to switch the window manager to JWM. Boy was that a mistake! Nothing worked. Nada. All I could do was hit Control-Alt-F1 to get out. Typing xwin would attempt to bring it back up but it would ultimately go right back to the prompt.

I typed reboot, thinking this would help. Nope, I still could not start xwin. I even tried deleting /etc/mousedevice. No help there either.

My question is, how do I get xwin to start with the default (fvwm95) window manager? Is it a simple matter of deleting a single corrupt config file? I'd rather not boot into Windows 95 and delete pup001 and start from scratch if I can help it. Thanks in advance.

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

Don't quote me on this, but I think you can type something like "startx fvwm95". Or you could (I think) edit /etc/windowmanager to say fvwm95.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Rich

#3 Post by Rich »

To Quote Pizzagood...............edit /etc/windowmanager to read fvwm95.

Same thing happened to me a couple of days ago, that sorted it out nicely

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

That was a bug in /root/.jwmrc, first two lines duplicated.
V1.0.2 shouldn't have that bug.

#5 Post by Guest »

It turns out that simply typing "xwin fvwm95" fixed the issue for now. I definitely plan on upgrading to 1.02 once I back some stuff up. Thanks.