Can I run boinc or seti@@home in Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
stephen

Can I run boinc or seti@@home in Puppy?

#1 Post by stephen »

hello,i am new here and didn't know where to post this.i have recently been trying different linux versions and happened across puppy which i like very much.my question is can i run ditributed programs like boinc or seti on puppy and if yes how?i tryed doownloading the i686 ver for linux x86 but dotpup said it was corrupted i did it twice but no luck if any one can give me any advice i would sure appreciate it!!thank you
true intelligence comes from the heart

seadog

#2 Post by seadog »

You should be able to run the BOINC software with Puppy. There are several posts on this topic. Click on 'search' on the top of the page, then enter 'Seti at home'. This should give you around five posts.
I run Puppy 2.13 and followed the advice given by ndujoe1.
I had to install using the 'tarball installer' from the 'official packages' which puts the extracted files into their own folder, which will be found in the hidden directory /root/.packages, i.e. click on 'show hidden files' when in the home directory to find it.
Having found this new folder, move it to some where else, like 'my-applications', then open it. Ok, now clicking on one of the icons should install it, but sorry, don't remember which one. Follow the install instructions in the popup windows, with an internet connection, and it should take you around five minuites to be up and running. To initially run the application, you will need to click on one of the 'gearwheel' looking icons. Ndudjoe1's instructions are good and takes you through it.
Ndujoe1 suggests forming a Puppy user team for some of these projects, which is good for Puppy, so maybe you would like to consider this.
Hope you enjoy using Puppy and don't forget these Puppies do just about anything that you may wish to do.

Stay Lucky and hope this helps.

ZAPPDOG

BOINC IN PUPPY

#3 Post by ZAPPDOG »

FOR THOSE THAT JUST HAVE TO BE CRUNCHIN

HOW TO INSTALL BOINC IN PUPPY LINUX

THIS WAS INSTALLED ON AN AMD 1.667GHZ, 1G RAM
PUPPY 2.16 WITH DEVX 2.16 FULL HD INSTALL

Open roxfiler click arrow till home ' / ' Create new directory in ' / ' called BOINC

Download boinc_5.8.16_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh to 'BOINC' folder
Website will show this file when download button is clicked if using puppy.

Open roxfiler click arrow till home ' / ' find BOINC folder
click to boinc_5.8.16_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh

Right click select permissions
Change permissions to executable

Right click again on same file and select 'window' then 'terminal here'

Run (type in) ./boinc_5.8.16_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh

Run ./run_client

Run ./run_manager or run ./boincmgr

Or just try clicking on the icon in roxfiler first