Install ijs driver

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
oldjim

Install ijs driver

#1 Post by oldjim »

Using Pizzapup 3.0.1 and need to know how to install ijs driver, i.e. ijs-pcl-g_5.
When I complete the first part of the Printer Wizard XPDQ does not run.

I realize that a Canon Mono Laser printer (FP-L170) does not have a Linux driver but there has to be some way to just make it print.

I ran cups-install-v.0.3.pup but no help. LaserJet.ppd is in /usr/share/cups/model/ along with ijs drivers but they do not show up in Printer Wizard or http://localhost:631.

Is there some place I can download XPDQ???
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank You

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

So does running xpdq from the menu (or command line) not work? Also, if you have Cups installed, you have to manually link lp or lpr or something to pdq if you want to use it instead.

oldjim

Install ijs driver

#3 Post by oldjim »

disciple wrote:So does running xpdq from the menu (or command line) not work? Also, if you have Cups installed, you have to manually link lp or lpr or something to pdq if you want to use it instead.
XPDQ does not run from menu or command line.

Have Cups installed but do not know how to link lp or lpr. After running the latest Cups pup the printers listed under /usr/share/cups/model/ still do not show up in the Printer Wizard or at http://localhost:631.

Thanks.
Thank You

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

oldjim,

i'm dubious that the .ppd file you mention would work, but have you tried copying it to /root directory, then installing the cups .pup you dloaded, & seeing if cups then detects the .ppd file? (as pakt wrote a script in it to specifically detect a .ppd file in /root).

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

Also, I don't think it should show up in the printer wizard if it is in the CUPS folder, as the printer wizard is for pdq, not cups.

oldjim

#6 Post by oldjim »

muggins wrote:oldjim,

i'm dubious that the .ppd file you mention would work, but have you tried copying it to /root directory, then installing the cups .pup you dloaded, & seeing if cups then detects the .ppd file? (as pakt wrote a script in it to specifically detect a .ppd file in /root).
Yes, tried that but did not work. My printr is on usblp class 07 if that helps.

I think Gutenprint will work but does it work with or without cups??
Thanks.
oldjim