How do I configure Morizot firewall IP tables?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Johnny Reb

How do I configure Morizot firewall IP tables?

#1 Post by Johnny Reb »

Can anyone give me a howto on configuring the Morizot firewall? As far as the internet side goes it pretty well self configured. I clicked on the wizard and it was done (grc.com shows complete stealth), but on the LAN side it cut off all communication with my other two computers. I've configured windoze firewalls before (specifically the Tiny PF2), but I'm lost when it comes to an IP table firewall.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
~ Thomas Paine

#2 Post by Guest »

Since iptbles isn't specific to puppy a search on google will give you a wealth of information, then go from there.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

the Morizot firewall was intended for standalone machines

a more complicated setup would probably need a firewall configured for it

you could go to the morizot web page and build your own custom firewall ... the script won't run properly until you edit the line that tells it where the iptables executable is ... also, the script generator now puts some extra features in the script that Puppy does not support, so error messages will be printed when the script runs ... whether the extra features that do not work cause any problems, i don't know

or the Quicktables firewall on my dotpups page should work well

Johnny Reb

#4 Post by Johnny Reb »

GuestToo wrote:the Morizot firewall was intended for standalone machines

a more complicated setup would probably need a firewall configured for it

you could go to the morizot web page and build your own custom firewall ... the script won't run properly until you edit the line that tells it where the iptables executable is ... also, the script generator now puts some extra features in the script that Puppy does not support, so error messages will be printed when the script runs ... whether the extra features that do not work cause any problems, i don't know

Thanks GuestToo. I intend to read up on IP tables, but for now I'm just trying to get something working as soon as possible. I'll check the Quicktables on your DotPups page first since the Morizot firewall isn't designed for a networked computer. I guess I could go back into Win2K until I learned enough to set one up, but after using Puppy I cringe at the idea of having to boot back into windoze. It's amazing how much better Puppy performs than Win2K, especially in how it utilizes ram. In Win2K, even with 640mb of ram I usually have to reboot at least twice a day just to free up ram, and Puppy has never once showed any sign of needing to have ram freed up. I've also noticed that when you close out applications in Puppy ram is immeadiatly freed up, while in windoze it's not.
~ Thomas Paine

#5 Post by Guest »

99% of the time it isn't windows fault RAM isn't freed up, dumb lazy programmers are usually to blame.

Johnny Reb

#6 Post by Johnny Reb »

GuestToo wrote:the Morizot firewall was intended for standalone machines

GuestToo, The Quicktables firewall works great! I didn't remember seeing that you had a dotpup for it, and just downloaded and installed it, but I had no problems at all installing and configuring it. I had been under the impression that an IP table firewall was something that you would have to take a text editor to, and put togeather from scratch. That would not be all that much of a problem were it not for the fact that it would take awhile to study up on it and then write it out. Regardless, I've now got communication with my other computers, and also have the internet side locked down.
~ Thomas Paine

Johnny Reb

#7 Post by Johnny Reb »

bladehunter wrote:99% of the time it isn't windows fault RAM isn't freed up, dumb lazy programmers are usually to blame.
bladehunter, I'm not so sure it's the programmers fault. I say that because I've known people that have worked for microsucks, and from what I've been told a lot of the problems with windows is deliberate. One MCSE that I knew, and he had been a MCSE for quiet awhile, told me that when they began development of NT4 the programmers had started out to create the best 32bit OS they could, but microsucks managment (probably BG himself) ordered them to not do that. I suspect that the problem is greed on the part of microsucks. If they can put out an OS every so many years that's slightly better than their last one, and not expend too much money in developing it then they will make more money than if they spent the time, money, and effort needed to make the best OS they possibly could.
~ Thomas Paine

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#8 Post by GuestToo »

The Quicktables firewall works great!
thanks for the feedback ... it's good to know whether it worked or not

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

Another thing to consider is hardware firewalls

http://www.portforward.com/cports.htm
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)