How can I upgrade without having to download the CDs?

Booting, installing, newbie
flamesage

#1 Post by flamesage »

I heard somewhere that this is possable, could someone tell me how you can do this?

Bruce B

Re: How can I upgrade without having to download the CDs?

#2 Post by Bruce B »

flamesage wrote:I heard somewhere that this is possable, could someone tell me how you can do this?
That's how I install Suse, I could upgrade also, but I prefer fresh installs. All you need is the setup CD and the rest of the install is done via FTP.

What you want is technically possible, but I don't know if such an option is available for Puppy.

If you want to download the puppy.ISO, you don't have to burn a CD to run option 1, just extract the necessary files from the .ISO image to the appropriate place, and run from your hard disk

rarsa

#3 Post by rarsa »

What would you be upgrading then?

Puppy comes actually in a couple of files, that's the only thing that goes into the CD. So you are asking how to upgrade without downloading those files?
Do you mean: How do I make the files appear magically in my computer?

One way would be by requesting the CD, that way you don't need to download anything.

Another is borrowing a friend's puppy CD.

Other than that, your request does not make too much sense. Actually does not make sense at all.

It's like asking: How can I get a newer car without getting another car.

The issue about SuSE is a completelly different game. Puppy comes as a monolythic installation. SuSE installs different components according to the user's preferences. So we cannot compare the distribution method. Actually, what you need to download in SuSE even for the smallest upgrade is more than the whole Puppy.

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

rarsa wrote:
The issue about SuSE is a completelly different game. Puppy comes as a monolythic installation. SuSE installs different components according to the user's preferences. So we cannot compare the distribution method. Actually, what you need to download in SuSE even for the smallest upgrade is more than the whole Puppy.
That's a fact.

flamesage

#5 Post by flamesage »

Ok. What I want is to update to the new puppy 1.05beta to see how it works, but my mean mom won't let me on her computer to burn a CD.

Is there anyway I can upgrade my puppy without having to use an updated Live CD? I still have the CD for version 1.03 though.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Ian »

What you are asking is can you download the files that make up the Puppy iso and put them on your hard drive. It would be possible but it would not be an upgrade, just another Puppy install.
To do an upgrade you really need to burn a new iso to CD and run the upgrade from there.

If you try to do it any other way you run the risk of corrupting or destroying your present installation or part thereof.

flamesage

#7 Post by flamesage »

Well that's fine, there's nothing really important on here.
How could I do an installation like you are talking about.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Ian »

If you do a search of Barry's main Puppy site and the forum you will find lots of info on how to do this.

Pizzasgood

#9 Post by Pizzasgood »

Mount the ISO
copy vmlinuz, image.gz, and usr.cram to the harddrive you want to use
create a blank file there called pupxide
make a boot disk
Just pop in the disk when you want to use Puppy, and pop it out when you don't.

This is the method I used until my floppy drive broke. Now I just use the cd. I had to make one for my sister yesterday, and found that I didn't like having to go through the menu, so I edited system.conf (on the floppy) and shortened the time at the menu, and then I edited normboot.bat (or something like that) and removed the lines that asked me to press any key to continue and the pause.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

JaDy

#10 Post by JaDy »

flamesage,

How do you run Puppy now? From CD? From hard disk?
Do you have Windows? Which?
Felicitations & Facilitations, Rev. John G. Derrickson
Wrote fast. Goofs happen. Tell me.

flamesage

#11 Post by flamesage »

I run puppy installed to my hard-drive.
This is the only computer I have.
I do not have any other OS installed.

I want just to upgrade puppy to the new beta verson of 1.5a.
I do have internet connection when I do this.
I do not have access to a CD burner.
I have access to ONE floppy disk.

rarsa

#12 Post by rarsa »

flamemesage. Dont 'upgrade' to 1.0.5 alpha. It is an ALPHA. you won't be able to do many things and some others will be broken.

If you really need it (e.g. to compile) create another partition and install it there. Don't get rid of your current uppy until the official version is out.