Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 21 Aug 2014, 22:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Puppies on a 266MHz with 48MB RAM?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
Author Message
edoc


Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 4365
Location: Southeast Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug 2007, 14:40    Post subject:  Puppies on a 266MHz with 48MB RAM?
Subject description: Which Puppy versions will run on an older laptop?
 

A friend has an old UMAX laptop with a 266MHz CPU and 48MB RAM.

Which of the more current versions of Puppy will run on it, please?

_________________
Thanks! David
Home page: http://nevils-station.com
Don't google Search! http://duckduckgo.com
Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
darrelljon


Joined: 08 Apr 2007
Posts: 548

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug 2007, 15:34    Post subject:  

I'd suggest trying
1. TeenPup
2. PizzaPup
3. XPuppyPro aka PuppyXP
4. 109CE (not recent)
and maybe myPup (only if they have broadband), eBoxPup, Mean Puppy and Tmxxine Shard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
WhoDo


Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 4441
Location: Lake Macquarie NSW Australia

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug 2007, 20:24    Post subject: Re: Puppies on a 266MHz with 48MB RAM?
Subject description: Which Puppy versions will run on an older laptop?
 

edoc wrote:
Which of the more current versions of Puppy will run on it, please?

Any 2.xx series Puppy will run on that machine PROVIDED you first use GParted's LiveCD to create a swap partition.

Hope that helps.

_________________
Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't!
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
edoc


Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 4365
Location: Southeast Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug 2007, 21:33    Post subject: Re: Puppies on a 266MHz with 48MB RAM?
Subject description: Which Puppy versions will run on an older laptop?
 

WhoDo wrote:
edoc wrote:
Which of the more current versions of Puppy will run on it, please?

Any 2.xx series Puppy will run on that machine PROVIDED you first use GParted's LiveCD to create a swap partition.
Hope that helps.


Any idea if GParted's LiveCD might conflict with the Data Lifeguard Western Digital Drive
Overlay app we had to install to get that old laptop to recognize the 80G HDD we added?

I know, I *always* have some sort of odd anomaly to resolve! Embarassed

_________________
Thanks! David
Home page: http://nevils-station.com
Don't google Search! http://duckduckgo.com
Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
edoc


Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 4365
Location: Southeast Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug 2007, 21:49    Post subject:  

darrelljon wrote:
I'd suggest trying
1. TeenPup
2. PizzaPup
3. XPuppyPro aka PuppyXP
4. 109CE (not recent)
and maybe myPup (only if they have broadband), eBoxPup, Mean Puppy and Tmxxine Shard.


So far we have tried TEENpup 2.0.0 - it booted and ran the Network Setup but when I
tried Seamonkey it stalled. I rebooted and downloaded Dillo, it worked but fails to handle
Java-based sites.

We also tried TMXXINE-Shard but it stalled once the X-window opened.

I note another post that says we need to create a proper swap for the use of 2.xx
versions and have just now used wget to download the gparted-livecd.

_________________
Thanks! David
Home page: http://nevils-station.com
Don't google Search! http://duckduckgo.com
Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
WhoDo


Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 4441
Location: Lake Macquarie NSW Australia

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug 2007, 21:50    Post subject: Re: Puppies on a 266MHz with 48MB RAM?
Subject description: Which Puppy versions will run on an older laptop?
 

edoc wrote:
Any idea if GParted's LiveCD might conflict with the Data Lifeguard Western Digital Drive
Overlay app we had to install to get that old laptop to recognize the 80G HDD we added?

I know, I *always* have some sort of odd anomaly to resolve! Embarassed

It might. It depends on when the overlay is applied. The LiveCD will boot without starting the HDD, but when it does you'll know for sure. The drive won't be the size you expect.

Does DLG have the option to format the partition to something other than FAT or NTFS? If so you can use that for the same purpose ... to create a small 100Mb swap partition in Linux Swap format.

_________________
Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't!
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
cb88


Joined: 28 Jan 2007
Posts: 1169
Location: USA

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug 2007, 22:17    Post subject:  

hey you say it stalls when you try to run seamonkey why don't you try Icepup it is smaller than the standard puppy and has iceweasel browser which is a modified mozilla based browser very compete just like seamonkey or firefox you may still need swap but more of the browser could load into ram you may also want to try the hv3 browser it has a pet pakage on its homepage it also has initial javascript support enabled

Icepup: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=20612

hv3: http://freshmeat.net/redir/hv3/64953/url_homepage/hv3.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Lobster
Official Crustacean


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 15117
Location: Paradox Realm

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug 2007, 01:32    Post subject:  

Quote:
We also tried TMXXINE-Shard but it stalled once the X-window opened.


That is a shame. It uses Icewm by default (as an add on to the standard Puppy.

Does Puppy 2.17.1 run? That is where I would start - with the previous advice on setting up a swap file.

Laptop use with Puppy
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LaptopsWorking

(links at bottom may be useful)

Smile

_________________
Puppy WIKI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
edoc


Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 4365
Location: Southeast Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug 2007, 20:15    Post subject: Re: Puppies on a 266MHz with 48MB RAM?
Subject description: Which Puppy versions will run on an older laptop?
 

WhoDo wrote:
edoc wrote:
Any idea if GParted's LiveCD might conflict with the Data Lifeguard Western Digital Drive
Overlay app we had to install to get that old laptop to recognize the 80G HDD we added?

I know, I *always* have some sort of odd anomaly to resolve! Embarassed

It might. It depends on when the overlay is applied. The LiveCD will boot without starting the HDD, but when it does you'll know for sure. The drive won't be the size you expect.

Does DLG have the option to format the partition to something other than FAT or NTFS? If so you can use that for the same purpose ... to create a small 100Mb swap partition in Linux Swap format.


The Data Drive Overlay app conflicts with GParted so that GParted will not even load
properly - the CD is good because it boots on another PC fine.

When the load fails to GRUB it shows the 80G HDD as 7G formatted and the rest not
formatted.

The guy decided that he would just use the laptop as-is for now and see how it holds
up in his truck. When the MS OS he has loaded on it begins to misbehave he will be
back! Wink

_________________
Thanks! David
Home page: http://nevils-station.com
Don't google Search! http://duckduckgo.com
Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0709s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0052s) ][ GZIP on ]