Laserjet 5L and CUPS

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Paul-B

Laserjet 5L and CUPS

#1 Post by Paul-B »

Hey all, I seem to be having some issues with my HP Laserjet 5L on my Puppy machine at work.

I'm using the Foomatic driver and the version of CUPS that comes with Puppy 2.17.1, every time I try to print a document the printer throws a little fit, the orange light blinks on the front and I have to press the resume button on the front of the printer.

The document in question then prints, but the top of the page is very pixelated and a little blown up.

After some research, I found that a lot of people use the 5L with 4 series drivers. If I use a standard 4 series driver it does, indeed, fix the problem, but only to replace it with another. The 5L is 600dpi, using a standard 4 series driver only gives me access to 300dpi, which is unacceptable.

The printer is connected straight to the computer via parallel on a local port (/dev/lp0), no other printers are connected, and no other computers are connected to the printer.

Has anyone else had this problem? Or can point me in the direction of fixing it?

Paul-B
[color=red]Puppy Rig:[/color] 2ghz Pentium 4 Skt423 CPU - Intel D850GB Motherboard - 1gb (4x256MB) Samsung PC800 RAM - WinFast GeForce 4 Ti4600 128MB GPU - Creative SB Live! Soundcard - Samsung 730MW 17" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 350w Antec SmartPower PSU

wingruntled

#2 Post by wingruntled »

Hi Paul-B
I had the same problem with my 6L. It turned out that I choose the wrong printer. When you see the printer model in the cups setup the laserjets are listed on top of the list and when you scroll down it goes into the deskjet. But if you continue to scroll down you will find the 4L, 5L and the 6L listed.
Also I have had about 4 5L's and I believe they are 300 dpi not 600. The 6L is 600 dpi and to tell you the truth it prints about the same as all of my 5L's did except my 6L doesn't have the paperfeed problem. YET!
Go through the setup again and read the first help screen and follow it closely.