Is there a way to use Puppy as a thin client

Booting, installing, newbie
dlduffy

Is there a way to use Puppy as a thin client

#1 Post by dlduffy »

I've been using PXES to run rdesktop to connect to windows 2003 terminal server. This has been moderately successful so far, but sound support isn't the greatest. It looks like puppy might be a better alternative if I simply installed it to the hard drive of each machine and had it boot and run rdesktop. Has anyone done this or thought about doing it?

I work for a school system and I'm pretty new to linux, so I'm not able to do any recompiling (yet), but this looks like it would be a great way to get usability from some older workstations.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or input.

raffy

Clients and Choices Available

#2 Post by raffy »

Welcome to PuppyLand!

Yes, Puppy has two RDP clients, among other clients.

The good news is that the old PCs/workstations will be able to function as a PC and not just a thin client. (Hence, here, you will encounter the term "thinPC" whenever a thin client, like those with ITX board, is used as a PC.)

PCs as old as P-I and with memory as low as 32 MB have been known to be able to run Puppy. However, there should be a swap partition (or file) in hard disk.

Please refer to the link below for the hard disk installation guide.
Last edited by raffy on Mon 12 Sep 2005, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

As I understand it, there is a problem with using Puppy - or any other OS - to make a "thin client" into a standalone computer: it seems that the BIOS in most thin clients is not designed for anything but netbooting from a central server.