Nero for Puppy (install and testing)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Bruce B

Nero for Puppy (install and testing)

#1 Post by Bruce B »

I called Nero today to ask some questions.

One question I asked was. how many times can one use the serial number? The reason I asked was because Puppy's release cycle is so frequent and I like to do fresh installs.

The answer was there were no limits and that the serial number given would also work for updates for version 3 of Nero for Linux.

The other question I asked was will it work for Puppy Linux. They seemed to think no.

I then asked if perhaps Nero simply was not tried on Puppy. The person at the desk was not sure, but suggested I download the trial version to see if it works.

I also note that the current version is slightly updated from previous versions.

Why this post? Just for information sake I guess. Also to see if anyone has previous success or failures using Nero.

--------------------

Continued (next day)

I download the time limited version of Nero. It comes in rpm or deb packages only.

Installation steps:

1) exploded the .deb package

2) copied the files over to the appropriate directories using Midnight Commander, see the picture below. The copy process was from right to left

3) typed nero at the command line and it ran without a hitch.

4) went through some of the setup options to see that they suit my tastes.
Attachments
mc-nero-install.png
(18.23 KiB) Downloaded 514 times

Bruce B

Burning the iso to cd

#2 Post by Bruce B »

Basic Test

1) I download the SystemRescueCD .iso file

2) Selected appropriate options (new, cd copy, then image)

3) The burned - all went well - see burning picture below.

Preliminary Conclusion

It all seems very compatible with Puppy
Attachments
nero-burning.png
(76.79 KiB) Downloaded 523 times

Crash

#3 Post by Crash »

I just tried the trial version and it looks good. I'm running it from the Puppy desktop.

I had to read the manual to install it. I'm new to that still - the only things I'd previously installed to Puppy Linux were a couple of DotPups. I opened up Rxvt, navigated to the install directory, and executed the command:

rpm -i nerolinux-3.0.0.0b-x86.rpm

After I installed it, I just had to drag the icon to the desktop and click on it. Too bad you can't have this version bundled in with the next DVD burner you buy.

The only other thing I had to do was make my Linux partition bigger, from 1GB to 4GB. I didn't have much room left at 1GB to do much. I did a 200 MB test burn to a CD-R and everything seems OK.

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

Crash,

Looks like the .rpm download and rpm -i filename is the easier and faster way to do it.

I also have an idea that Nero for Linux accepts Windows registration numbers. Need to test that.

The man from Nero told me that I could use the serial number from an OEM version for the Linux version. Specifically, like when you buy a CD / DVD Drive and it contains (Windows) Nero as part of the package.

Bruce

Bruce B

#6 Post by Bruce B »

jonyo thanks for the links! interesting.

I more and more suspect that (many) windows keys will work. Moreover, I think they intended it that way rather than overlooked it. Like a nice way of entering the Linux market for their current Nero users.

Also, there is a file in /usr/share/nero which contains a file called DosBootImage.ima, this file contains the extension for NTFS which can be used to run DOS utilities for various kinds of NTFS booting. For whatever that's worth. It was a conversation a while back. But since I don't have any FAT or NTFS partitions, it means little to me personally.

Bruce