Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 16 Apr 2014, 06:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Puppy Database
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 4 of 9 [134 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Author Message
JohnMurga
Site Admin


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 586
Location: Far to the east

PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug 2007, 06:13    Post subject:  

WhoDo wrote:
JohnMurga wrote:
As far as I am concerned it doesn't compare or compete - If you want a relational database, you use one.

Earlier in this thread I expressed what I thought we needed for Puppy, long and short term. Sqlite3, TkSqlite, your GUI frontend ... all offer a good short term solution for those familiar with SQL or not needing anything more powerful than an address book creator.

OTOH, long term we need an easy-to-use, fully relational database that can compete with 80% or more of what Microsoft Access can do and yet can be used by Window$ refugees who might not be able to use even Access but still need to create medium to large datasets. Something that does what FileMaker Pro does in Window$ and Mac environments. I believe GLOM is the answer for that, but compiling it for Puppy is a major task that is presently beyond my meager capabilities. What it offers is the ability to create SQL tables, forms and reports without knowing a single SQL command.

If someone of your stature and experience were to attempt it, we may stand a chance of success. Komodo stands willing to help. So do I. Maybe we could make this a new Puppy project. True relational database capability that is easy to use is all that stands between many Window$ users and a complete break from the Micro$oft stranglehold. What do you think?

Flattery will get you nowhere Smile

GLOM looks pretty amazing, but it's a bit heavy for Puppy (very), but the way Puppy's going you never know ...

My GUI front end is a demo for murgaLua that is constantly evolving ... And more gui like features are on the way. However, it is only ever going to support sqLite and it is a tiny part of a larger project with priorities that come from my main users.

As as far as my involvement with anything other than murgaLua at this point ... The fact remains that I've been homeless for a LONG TIME. I have found a house and will be moving in a couple of weeks, so once I have regular net access and don't have to do things from the hostels I've been staying in you might see a bit of more of me around here.

There are a LOT of things I want to do to Puppy Smile

Cheers
JohnM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
WhoDo


Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 4441
Location: Lake Macquarie NSW Australia

PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug 2007, 06:34    Post subject:  

JohnMurga wrote:
Flattery will get you nowhere Smile

Ar, rats! Razz

JohnMurga wrote:
GLOM looks pretty amazing, but it's a bit heavy for Puppy (very), but the way Puppy's going you never know ...

Yep. That PostgreSQL backend is the killer. Something similar for sqLite would be nice though .... (hint, hint, hint) Wink

JohnMurga wrote:
My GUI front end is a demo for murgaLua that is constantly evolving ... And more gui like features are on the way. However, it is only ever going to support sqLite and it is a tiny part of a larger project with priorities that come from my main users.

Well it wouldn't take much to bring up to a similar standard to TksqLite, would it? At this point I'm for anything that offers an excuse for murgaLua to find its way into Puppy. That would mean we can have the u beaut Control Panel that dvw86 put together some time back:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1885557453&t=15931

JohnMurga wrote:
As as far as my involvement with anything other than murgaLua at this point ... The fact remains that I've been homeless for a LONG TIME. I have found a house and will be moving in a couple of weeks, so once I have regular net access and don't have to do things from the hostels I've been staying in you might see a bit of more of me around here.

There are a LOT of things I want to do to Puppy Smile

Ooohh! Good news! I'm really glad you've found a place to call home. Are you sure I can't sweet talk you into writing a complete GUI frontend for sqLite that a newbie could use? Wink Rolling Eyes

_________________
Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't!
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
JohnMurga
Site Admin


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 586
Location: Far to the east

PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug 2007, 07:10    Post subject:  

WhoDo wrote:
JohnMurga wrote:
GLOM looks pretty amazing, but it's a bit heavy for Puppy (very), but the way Puppy's going you never know ...

Yep. That PostgreSQL backend is the killer. Something similar for sqLite would be nice though .... (hint, hint, hint) Wink

And Python, otherwise you "could" try to replace the database backend.

WhoDo wrote:
JohnMurga wrote:
My GUI front end is a demo for murgaLua that is constantly evolving ... And more gui like features are on the way. However, it is only ever going to support sqLite and it is a tiny part of a larger project with priorities that come from my main users.

Well it wouldn't take much to bring up to a similar standard to TksqLite, would it? At this point I'm for anything that offers an excuse for murgaLua to find its way into Puppy. That would mean we can have the u beaut Control Panel that dvw86 put together some time back:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1885557453&t=15931

It has surprised me that murgaLua is a core part of DSL but completely unused in Puppy, but it doesn't bother me - Once I hit my 1.0 functionality I'll concentrate on apps, and them maybe someone here will be interested.

As for TksqLite ... I am the wrong person as I have been biased against anything TCL based since before Puppy (as I had to some professional work with it some time back and didn't enjoy it).

WhoDo wrote:
JohnMurga wrote:
As as far as my involvement with anything other than murgaLua at this point ... The fact remains that I've been homeless for a LONG TIME. I have found a house and will be moving in a couple of weeks, so once I have regular net access and don't have to do things from the hostels I've been staying in you might see a bit of more of me around here.

There are a LOT of things I want to do to Puppy Smile

Ooohh! Good news! I'm really glad you've found a place to call home. Are you sure I can't sweet talk you into writing a complete GUI frontend for sqLite that a newbie could use? Wink Rolling Eyes

That's something that will probably happen at some point, just don't expect it too soon as it is a small priority in a big world Wink

Cheers
JohnM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
WhoDo


Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 4441
Location: Lake Macquarie NSW Australia

PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug 2007, 07:33    Post subject:  

JohnMurga wrote:
It has surprised me that murgaLua is a core part of DSL but completely unused in Puppy, but it doesn't bother me - Once I hit my 1.0 functionality I'll concentrate on apps, and them maybe someone here will be interested.

I already am. How far away is that 1.0 functionality? We have guys here that are itching to get their teeth into programming applications for Puppy, but the breadth of development environments available seems to put off all but the most hardy.

Once I saw what dvw86 was able to quickly achieve with murgaLua, I was sold. It is only a matter of enthusing the "market". If what was done was designed to be compatible with IceWM, then I could introduce it through EZpup without impacting what happens in the mainstream version.

Frankly, I wish I knew more of programming ... especially in murgaLua. I'd have a lash at it myself. Unfortunately, my limited past experience with C and Basic barely qualifies me to write Hello World these days.

Keep plugging away John. Anything good is worth waiting for... just ask my wife! Wink

_________________
Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't!
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 7047
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug 2007, 21:21    Post subject:  

Quote:
At this point I'm for anything that offers an excuse for murgaLua to find its way into Puppy.

MurgaLua is in Puppy, but as John says, it's not actually being used for anything ...yet. Looking at it from a fairly tough admin point of view, it would have to ultimately justify its inclusion, like some irresistable application that needs it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
raffy

Joined: 25 May 2005
Posts: 4752
Location: Manila

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug 2007, 09:10    Post subject: one application  

If we are looking at educating kids in cutting-edge programming, we don't even have to wait for version 1.0.

An example application or two that one can easily find in the Puppy menu and possibly modify at will should get things started. We can even call it "kiddie programming (KP)". (Then I can get my hands on it when no one is looking. Razz )

How about a "create your Puppy" game? (create your unique Puppy from different colors and shapes)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
andrei

Joined: 31 May 2006
Posts: 80

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep 2007, 03:25    Post subject:
Subject description: fonts in TkSqlite are too small; problem solved
 

The fonts in TkSqlite are way too small, very hard to read. I solved this problem by editing the configuration file:

/usr/lib/tile0.7.8/fonts.tcl

Now it looks much better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Flash
Official Dog Handler


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 10653
Location: Arizona USA

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep 2007, 13:40    Post subject:  

How did you edit it? Inquiring minds want to know. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
andrei

Joined: 31 May 2006
Posts: 80

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep 2007, 16:44    Post subject:  

See the attached file. Changes are in the x11 section.

Notice that I use the Courier New font which I downloaded from the Internet. I understand that it is legal to use Courier New because it was made available by Microsoft at some point. But I am not a lawyer.
fonts.tar
Description  modified /usr/lib/tile0.7.8/fonts.tcl
tar

 Download 
Filename  fonts.tar 
Filesize  10 KB 
Downloaded  476 Time(s) 
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Igo AtM

Joined: 16 Nov 2006
Posts: 25
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec 2007, 11:27    Post subject: Working SQLiteDBMS
Subject description: Just uploaded a bete version of SQLiteDBMS for user feedback
 

Have just uploaded SQLiteDBMS it is a puppy hacked version and was originally put together as a low resource solution for sqlite3 access and motionMon or litemon with the sqlite db back end. I had seen this topic previously so I am posting a link to those that wish to try it. It is far from a final package but is working and I would appreciate feedback as I am currently re-writing the client. I felt it may also contribute to the ongoing discussion here link is
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=159180#159180

Yet another interesting sqlite db management option I am uploading is a Gecko based sqlite manager which is very good at the pure db access level the problem with it is it requires seamonkey with the embedded sqlite engine so version 1.1 and above but it adds more fuel to the debate. It is not a pet as it is a native seamonkey extension. You should just be able to upload it unpack it and drag n drop it onto the browser and it should auto install md5 is below
6027224839339bf3d3a34084c11c3d34 sqlite_manager-0.2.8.3.tar.gz
You will need to unpack it as for security can not upload xpi to the forum
sqlite_manager-0.2.8.3.tar.gz
Description  archive of sqlite manager for seamonkey (ver 1.1 and above )
gz

 Download 
Filename  sqlite_manager-0.2.8.3.tar.gz 
Filesize  62.74 KB 
Downloaded  457 Time(s) 
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Lobster
Official Crustacean


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 15117
Location: Paradox Realm

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2008, 01:33    Post subject:  

http://www.knoda.org/

it uses kde and python (too big for Puppy)
but may suit some . . .

Anyone use it?

_________________
Puppy WIKI

Last edited by Lobster on Fri 10 Apr 2009, 07:29; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Lobster
Official Crustacean


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 15117
Location: Paradox Realm

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar 2008, 12:57    Post subject:  

This is very nice
but a database online?
What happens when they sell to Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, NSA etc?
http://www.blist.com/index.html

_________________
Puppy WIKI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
tlchost

Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1641
Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar 2008, 14:25    Post subject:  

Lobster wrote:
This is very nice
but a database online?
What happens when they sell to Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, NSA etc?
http://www.blist.com/index.html


Hopefully there will be an alternative made for Puppy by then. The signup process is simple and you can easily import a .csv file.

Took a quick look at the support forum....there are not many entries, and the project manager appears to be very active answering user questions.

Apparently one can share a database with others on a read-only basis via email.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
muggins

Joined: 20 Jan 2006
Posts: 6666
Location: lisbon

PostPosted: Mon 14 Apr 2008, 00:27    Post subject:  

There hasn't been much activity on this front but, even though I've no use for a database, I thought I'd post this link to various sqlite frontends:

http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=ManagementTools
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nic2109

Joined: 01 Jan 2007
Posts: 406
Location: Hayslope, near Middlemarch, Midlands, England

PostPosted: Mon 14 Apr 2008, 05:22    Post subject:  

Another approach to this issue would be to use the XAMPP package (which is huge) and make it an .sfs file. This would add everything to make Puppy into a Web server running sqlite apache perl and php.

You will still need to add a GUI and/or Report writer, which is where Muggins' link will come into its own.

_________________
Nick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 4 of 9 [134 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1016s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0119s) ][ GZIP on ]