Netgear FA511 Ethernet card - tulip driver anyone?

mwestlund

Netgear FA511 Ethernet card - tulip driver anyone?

#1 Post by mwestlund »

I saw a Netgear FA511 Ethernet card I could use with my laptop for sale at the store today. I have the Netgear WiFi card and love it. I use the ndiswrapper with XP driver and all works great! Thus, when I saw the ethernet card I decided to pick it up. I live about 1 hour from any mall. Before opening it, I did some research on it. It appears to work with Linux from what I can read. Here is my question. Do I use ndiswrapper again to install the XP driver for the PC card or do install this 'tulip' diver I see references to. If so, where can I find the 'tulip' driver? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. -Mark

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

How about sticking it in and see if Puppy recognizes and configures it? (use Puppy's Network Wizard)

Maybe it came with drivers for Linux. If not you can get Linux drivers for it from Netgear.

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

if you plug the card in the slot and boot Puppy, it should automatically load and use the tulip driver ... if not, you can open an rxvt console window and type:

modprobe tulip

mwestlund

#5 Post by mwestlund »

Thanks everyone! My NIC works like a charm. I'm using right now. You are what makes Puppy so great! -Mark

linuxcbon

#6 Post by linuxcbon »

Got exactly same problem : netgear card was not detected by network wizzard :-(
Had to enter manually tulip as driver and then ethernet worked.
This is not practical.