Portable Puppy w/ Portable VirtualBox

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jasray

Portable Puppy w/ Portable VirtualBox

#1 Post by jasray »

Currently running the Puppy program on a 1GB USB flash drive - PizzaPup version - on Portable VirtualBox w/ all changes being made to the virtual hard drive on a public computer running DeepFreeze and Cafezee. No installation problems; one request by Windows Firewall to allow/block. Listening to more of the same on XMMS; however, I can stream music from MediaMax while surfing.

Recommend: Try the same procedure on a MP3 player--any platter drive--or any USB flash drive w/ the most current Puppy .iso.

No luck this morning trying a Samba share--more for me to learn w/ Linux.

All of this is a great tool for simple things--not a replacement OS. PortableApps may be as effective.

Anyway, Portable VirtualBox DOES work w/ Puppy--contrary to earlier postings.

Phase 1 = Working from home Desktop - updating browser.
Phase 2 = Switching computers and connecting to wireless via laptop.
Phase 3 = Working on public computer w/ moderate security in place.

Need to take a walk . . . and a nap!

Echo off,

jas.

cb88

#2 Post by cb88 »

I have recommended virtualbox on several ocasions on this forum. For it to work well the puppy version needs to have Gparted in order to format the virtual drive but once it has been formated correctly any version maybe used although i remeber a few betas that would not boot or had issues with the virtual video card this may have been fixed in the newer versions.

also i think it may be possible to run virtualbox from puppy but this needs work.

JB4x4

#3 Post by JB4x4 »

You CAN run VirtualBox in Puppy. I am currently using ver 1.4.0 in Puppy 2.17. You will need to have devx_217 and kernel-source_217 installed prior to installing VirtualBox, as the program needs to compile some module(s) when installing. After installing, you will need to edit one of the startup scripts as noted at the bottom of this post:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 99&t=15289

JB

jasray

VirtualBox Clarificaton

#4 Post by jasray »

Not so sure we are talking about the same things. Only for clarification, I use VirtualBox for testing, playing around with a number of Linux .iso's. That the desktop version.

My comments refer to Portable VirtualBox where the user can run the Puppy .iso on a flash w/o the need for an install. Naturally, to save the changes, a virtual drive is created. The reason? The hardware conflicts etc. all resolve w/ the use of the VirtualBox. And, one can go anywhere and start the Puppy w/o the need for booting to the USB. Wireless connections issues are history.

Yes, VirtualBox can run in Puppy, but for me, it's the other way around. After modifying Veenstra's work w/ Qemu Puppy and making a portable PizzaPup w/ a much different boot system, I decided that it was much too slow, even w/ Kqemu, for what I was doing.

Hence the search for Portable VB. Marvelous.

jas.