Driver for HDTV tuner card?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Fox7777

Driver for HDTV tuner card?

#1 Post by Fox7777 »

We have a HD-3000 HDTV PCI card, see http://www.pchdtv.com . Is there a PupGet, DotPup, etc. that will allow us to see TV through this TV card on Puppy Linux?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I'd be mighty surprised if there is. I haven't seen anything like that in the DotPups posted to the "Additional Software" forum. You could try going to Start->Setup (in Puppy) and then clicking on the PupGet and DotPup package managers and searching through whatever comes up.

There's also the Wiki DotPup page

If you don't find any DotPups or Pupgets, you might get lucky and find some Linux drivers on the manufacturer's website, which might work in Puppy.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

i don't have an hdtv card myself

pic of xawtv running in Puppy:
http://tinypic.com/9sgn4m.jpg

xawtv crashes sometimes when changing channels (segfault) ... not sure why

i think an hdtv card would require a very fast cpu to use it with Puppy's vesa video driver ... i think hdtv requires a fast cpu anyway

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I'm pretty sure that HDTV is encoded in the same MPEG format used for DVDs (without the CSS of course.) So, theoretically, if your CPU is powerful enough fir you to watch a DVD it should be powerful enough to keep up with the output of an HDTV tuner card. Some HDTV tuner cards might have an MPEG decoder on the card.

Ted Dog

HDTV puppy

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

I am working on it. If we could beg Berry K to retry kernel version 2.6.13 I was able to compile this kernel using new v1.05 beta 2 but I do not know how configure sfs suport. This kernel includes HD3000 support. :?