Missing Gimp

Using applications, configuring, problems
mjg

Missing Gimp

#1 Post by mjg »

I had The Gimp working fine last week, but with my boot dramas I finished up installing Puppy again from scratch and now I can't get find The Gimp.

I've installed twice through PupGet, but even after refreshing IceWM and rebooting the menu doesn't change and I can't find the program.

When I type Gimp in rxvt it brings up mtPaint instead, which I installed also.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Gimp where art thou?

#2 Post by Lobster »

OK this is what is probably happening:

Purging. When you upgraded Gimp was purged (this is a new strict upgrading facility).

Clicking on an image will bring up the default paint program - so xpaint or I believe mpaint now and the link funny enough is called Gimp

What you can do (sorry an all that) is reinstall the Gimp with Pupget and design a nice logo or icon set for Puppy.

Ahhh . . ..
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

mjg

Found the Gimp

#3 Post by mjg »

I found the Gimp. Installed again, but it still didn't show up in the menu and clicking Gimp in /usr/local/bin brought up mtPaint still, but this time I noticed a Gimp2 icon next to it, and that was the one.

Happy ending, it's now on the desktop ready to work on those icons (which horror, I'll probably do in Illustrator).

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

the Gimp doesn't show up in the icewm menu because it never was in the Icewm menu

the last Icewm package was setup for 1.0.1 or maybe an earlier version of Puppy ... the latest menu i uploaded was for rc1.0.2 ... rc1.0.2 may not have had the gimp in it's menus, or possibly i missed it when i updated the icewm menu

you can easily add it to /root/.icewm/menu ... something like:

prog "the Gimp" gimp2 gimp

i haven't uploaded an Icewm Unleashed package, and the Icewm menu has never been integrated with PupGet

Icewm hides menu items for programs that are not installed, which is quite convenient ... however, symlinking gimp to mtpaint breaks it ... if mtpaint is installed, then the mtpaint and the gimp menu items will show up, whether the gimp is installed or not

there are other menu items that will show up even though the programs are not installed ... for example, any program that is run in a terminal using rxvt -e

one way to deal with this is to integrate the icewm menu with Puppy's Unleashed/PupGet system ... adding menu items for extra programs, but commenting the lines for programs that are not installed

mjg

#5 Post by mjg »

Thanks. I'm grateful for this information, but make the observation that the process here seems a little user unfriendly.

I can accept that a menu item won't be created, but surely if someone enters the program name in the command line it should bring up that program and not another one?

Sorry I mixed up the menu part. I must have typed Gimp previously and it came up, no drama.

I'm not ready to tackle Puppy Unleashed until we get broadband (scheduled for June).

kmoffat

#6 Post by kmoffat »

mjg wrote: I can accept that a menu item won't be created, but surely if someone enters the program name in the command line it should bring up that program and not another one?
I'm sure the shortcut 'gimp' was created because many folks look for gimp and don't know the proper command for the graphics editor included with puppy. Most distros not constricted to a certain size include gimp. Better to have something come up than nothing. Also, perhaps there was a program installed that demanded 'gimp' as it's editor? guessing here....