USB boot very slow loading image.gz - [Solved: syslinux]

Booting, installing, newbie
PaulR

USB boot very slow loading image.gz - [Solved: syslinux]

#1 Post by PaulR »

Now I have my Puppy USB back but it takes a lot longer than I remember to load image.gz - a full two minutes after loading vmlinuz before the kernel starts uncompressing! Any way to improve things?

Edit: I just noticed Puppy is occupying virtually the whole of the stick - probably why it is slow to load and takes ages to zeroise on exit.

Can I resize Puppy to a sensible size (<100MB) and have it grow as required?
Last edited by PaulR on Thu 15 Sep 2005, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I wish I could be more help, but at least I can tell you that I'm pretty sure your problem has been discussed in the forum before. I don't remember how it was resolved. Try the forum search, and good hunting. :)

PaulR

#3 Post by PaulR »

Thanks Flash - I knew I'd read something about this somewhere and searching the forums I found this....

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... usb+resize

to which you'd contributed :lol: !!

As my Puppy is new I'm going to dump my existing pupxxx file and start over using that thread as a guide to get a sensible size.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

PaulR,
I guess you must have a USB1 interface?

PaulR

#5 Post by PaulR »

No Barry it's USB 2 (quite a recent PC this one).

I'm not sure now that the start up delay is due to the size of the pup100 file - certainly it takes ages to zeroise it on shutdown but it takes just as long if not longer to load image.gz on boot (before pup100 comes into play right?)

Experimenting!!

PaulR

#6 Post by PaulR »

Right, I deleted pup100 (you did WHAT?!) and edited syslinux to get a new 40mb pup100 instead of 179mb.

On reboot it still took a very long time to load image.gz - far longer than it ever did in the past. I haven't rebooted yet but obviously zeroing the rest of pup100 should be somewhat quicker now.

So, why is it taking about 2 minutes to load a 6MB file.... thinking.

PaulR

#7 Post by PaulR »

Solved - When I was having trouble getting Puppy to boot off USB I'd read someplace that it might be an idea to uses syslinux -s x:

Turn out the -s is for safe, slow and stupid! Doing syslinux x: without the -s option has re-invigorated Puppy. Hurray!