Saving first session to multisession CD locks disk?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Murgy

Saving first session to multisession CD locks disk?

#1 Post by Murgy »

I've burned several iso's of puppy 2.17 to a cd. When I take this to a different machine, I can boot that machine the first time. Configuration works well, etc.

When I shutdown, I tell Puppy to write the session.

Next time I try to boot with that disk, no joy. This happened twice. (Slow learner!)

I then tried to create this with a CD_RW. This time, I got a different error.
iso linux 10, Ax 420 (iirc)

CD Drive is a SONY DRU530.

Recommendations for how to a:) reset the drive so it's not locking the disk, or b) how to probe the cd to see WHY it's no longer bootable, or c) other recommendations.

Thanks in Advance
Murgy

jonyo

#2 Post by jonyo »

This has come up in the past & happened to me. Sorry, forget the details but had to do with saving sessions to cd (or dvd :? ) disk & ends up with a no boot disk.

Good bet that it's not about your gear.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

What program did you use to burn the CD? The only program I know which will always burn a multisession CD correctly (that is, one that will work in Puppy) is Puppy's burniso2cd.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Murgy

#4 Post by Murgy »

I created the ISO with ISORecorder under WinXP Pro SP2 on a Compusa DVD-RW (SUPERA DSM 6S165P DVD-RAM RECORDER). I have taken an ISO created identically and successfuly used it on a different machine, with a Plextor DVD-RW (Can't identify right now - it's at home).

Murgy

Murgy

#5 Post by Murgy »

Ah....hmmm.. ok....
I'm attempting to create a new ISO from the (currently working) Live-CD, onto a DVD-R.

I'll report back.

Murgy

#6 Post by Murgy »

Ok, wierdness happens here. :)

I was able to successfully create a new ISO file with the Puppy ISO Remastering option. I was able to write this ISO file to a DVD-R disk (2x, if that matters.)

I rebooted the computer, and was able to load Puppy with the DVD, but the options that I had previously selected for were not all there. I had to repick the time zone, and the internet quit working. /grrr

When I tried to exit this session, and write the file to the dvd, I got a message that said "Error: Rock Ridge Signatures found". I had the option of writing to a blank DVD or Upgrading to a new DVD.

I tried upgrading. It didn't look like it processed correctly. (I couldn't write down the error message.)

I tried the whole thing again. (rebooted with dvd - it worked), had to reselect timezone, tried to set up internet (didn't work), and shutdown, writing to a new DVD this time. Same error message re: Rock Ridge Signatures, then I got a message about how it couldn't write to the directory.

Questions? Comments?

Murgy

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

If you don't say which program and settings you used to burn the DVD, it's hard to guess why it isn't working, but anyway, if you burn the iso to the DVD with Puppy's Menu > Multimedia > Burniso2cd, I bet it will work. To do that you can boot whatever Puppy CD or DVD will start, then replace it with a DVD (I recommend a DVD+RW since you can reuse it many times, but any kind of DVD will work if it hasn't been written to -- even the one you just booted from if it's a DVD+RW) and use Burniso2cd. Puppy will need to be able to find the iso. You can have the iso on a USB flash memory or on a hard disk in the computer. Just use the Drives icon on Puppy's desktop to mount the appropriate drive and partition before you tell Burniso2cd where to find the iso.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Murgy

#8 Post by Murgy »

For our next step of testing, I did the following - all in PuppyLinux 2.17 (unless otherwise specificed).

1) Booted Pupplylinux with (working) Cd.
2) Inserted Flash disk with 2.17 iso into USB port.
3) Clicked Drives to Start Pmount
3a) Mounted Flash to see ISO file
4) Ejected current cd
5) Inserted New DVD-R (blank)
6) Menu>Multimedia>Burniso2cd launched
7) Selected DVD as choice
8) Selected /dev/hcd (Sony_DVD_RW_DRU530A) as burner
9) At Select ISO file, picked /mnt/sda1/puppy iso file
10) clicked ok to start burn
11) watched growisofs write file to cd
Executing 'builtin_dd if=/mnt/sda1/puppy-2.17-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso of=/dev/hdc obs=32k seek=0'
(BTW, don't copy this message when you see it or you'll make a toaster when growisofs aborts.)

12) Verified burn was successful.
13) Shut down puppy linux without writing session to verify file size on dvd.

More when I reboot.

[/quote]

Murgy

#9 Post by Murgy »

Further adventures:

Menu>Shutdown>Poweroff Computer

I get the "You have booted off a Live-CD" box, and pick option "Save to CD"
I verify the correct DVD is inserted, and hit Enter to start saving the session.
The first message that comes up is the Blue line about "If you see this - make sure your drive is closed"
The next line is /dev/hdc is write protected, mount read only (AH HA!!)
Blue Line again.
Then I get: executing mkisofs -C 16,93932 -M /dev/fd/3 -D -R -quiet -new-dir-mode 0755 -graf <garbled> =/initrd/pup_ro1 |builtin_dd <garbled>
Blue Line again
Again: executing mkisofs -C <Lots of other stuff here that I couldn't write down fast enough but including all the line above plus more switches>
Then, I get "ERROR MESSAGE: Rock Ridge Signatuers Found" - and 2 choices - Blank DVD, or Upgrade DVD

at this point, I reset, and rebooted into puppy again.

At least this time, trying to write to the DVD did not render it unbootable. Hitherto, i've made 3 or 4 coasters when the write process didn't work.

Recommendations?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

Do you have another drive you can substitute for the one you're using, just to see if that's the problem? That's about all I can think of. :(

Murgy

#11 Post by Murgy »

I'll dig around & check. I'm pretty sure I have a CD-RW, not so sure about a (working) DVD-RW.