Which partition to put pup001 on?

Booting, installing, newbie
spike240

Which partition to put pup001 on?

#1 Post by spike240 »

Hi - I am new here and have downloaded puppy cd 1.03 mozilla (I think). Anyroad - I can boot from cd no problem and puppy works a treat just like it said they would. The problem I have is I can't save any work. I downloaded pup001 and unzipped to c as instructed.

My system is a little unconventional and this may be where the problem lies. I have two hard drives - one is for storage only which is 80gb. The other is 160gb and has four partitions C,D,H and I where D has xp installed.

Could someone tell me where I should place the pup001 file so I can use it to save stuff.

I would appreciate any replies, but go slowly cos I am by no means a techi person, but I would really like to learn more about linux.

I apologise if I am covering old ground here but everywhere I look for help seems to be way ahead of where I am right now.

Thanks in advance

Spike

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

We need to know a little bit more information:

What is your BIOS boot order? What do you have in each partition?

Please open an rxvt terminal execute the following command and paste the result on your response. (the parameter is lower case L):

Code: Select all

fdisk -l

PaulR

#3 Post by PaulR »

Hi spike240!

Maybe you don't have a suitable partition? See the faq for info about NTFS partitions...

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/faq.htm

It may be that you're partitions are all NTFS or maybe Puppy looks on the bootable partition. Why not try putting a copy of pup001 on each in turn to see if any will work?

spike240

#4 Post by spike240 »

Thanks for quick response - blimey. Thank you rarsa but I don't know what you mean. But I will try placing pup001 on each partition and see if that works. I think all the partitions are set as ntfs. But I do have partition magic 8 installed so I could create another partition if needed. In fact I did attempt to make another but when I got to the bit where it asked me ntfs, fat 32 linux ext2 or ext3 I quit and bottled out.
Thanks again for your help
Spike

danleff

#5 Post by danleff »

If it does not work, make a fat32 partition using PartitionMagic on free space on one of the drives. Then see if Puppy creates the pup file on it.

I found that Puppy likes to see the fat32 partition on the beginning of any drive, but this is not a hard and fast rule.

Make sure that you are using the latest Puppy version, avoid version 1.0.2, as there were issues with NTFS on this version, which used the 2.6 series kernel.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

spike240

#6 Post by spike240 »

Thanks everyone - I took paulr's advice and unzipped a copy of pup001 to all partitions and this has worked. Is there any way of finding out which partition it is saving stuff to? - either through xp or puppy? In windows explorer it shows up as a file of 256mb.

Thanks again

Spike

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

The file dates and times update on the pup001 that is being used.

-----------

If running Puppy you also can easily extrapolate the information with the output of

# mount

# probepart

rarsa

#8 Post by rarsa »

Please open an rxvt terminal execute the following command and paste the result on your response. (the parameter is lower case L):

fdisk -l
Thank you rarsa but I don't know what you mean.
What I mean is to open a command line console. In puppy it is rxvt. you can find it on your desktop (the icon is a small computer) or in the start menu under "Run")

Just do the following:
1. Open the console and type the command.
2. Copy the response of the command to a response to this post.

The result should be something like the following:

Disk /dev/hda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *           1        6374    51199123+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2            6375       18804    99843975    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda3           18805       19457     5245222+  a5  FreeBSD
/dev/hda5            6375        6505     1052226   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda6            6506       11728    41953684+   6  FAT16
/dev/hda7           11729       12944     9767520   83  Linux
/dev/hda8           12945       14160     9767488+  83  Linux

rarsa

#9 Post by rarsa »

Bruce B wrote:The file dates and times update on the pup001 that is being used.
Not really. Puppy writes inside the pup001 file system without the 'host' filesystem knowledge. That is the trick that makes it work on NTFS.

So If the host file system does not know the file is being modified, it won't change the date.

The pup001 host filesystem is mounted under /mnt/home. The "mount" command will tell us the partition.

So, comming back on topic:

To execute the mount command open an rxvt terminal window (comand line console) following the steps in my previous post. Type "mount" and press the ENTER key.

copy the result to a reply to this post.

To copy, just select the text with the mouse and press Ctrl-C.

Then, when writing the post, press Shift-Insert to paste the text.

#10 Post by Guest »

Just checking this forum - thanks for the post rarsa. Trouble is I am surfing using XP as I don't think I can get online using puppy with my setup (usb broadband modem). However I'll go into Puppy and do as you say and have a look.

I won't be able to paste it into here though - unless you know something different.

Just changing the subject for a mo - I have no sound in puppy - I guess there is no driver installed. Is there an easy fix?

Could I ask how to add system puppy files that have been downloaded using XP?
Sorry about all the questions.

Thanks

Spike

rarsa

#11 Post by rarsa »

Could I ask how to add system puppy files that have been downloaded using XP?
Do you mean DotPups or PupGet
The answer is simple:
- Put them in any partition that puppy can see.
- Using the MUT utility (Under the "Start | Utilities" menu) "mount" that partition.
- If it is a DotPup just browse to the folder where the partition is mounted and click on the file.
- If it is a PupGet, Start the PupGet package manager and follow the wizard selecting to install a local file.

If you meant something different by 'system puppy files' then you will have to be more specific.
Sorry about all the questions.
No need to apologize as long as you follow up on the sugestions and posts the results, that way you help us to help you and you may help someone else with the same problem reading the post.

#12 Post by Guest »

yes - thanks again rarsa - I have just been running puppy and doing a bit more exploring. I was using - is it file edit or similar I was able to explore all the files - including the partition where pup001 resides. And I see what you mean now - cos if I place any downloaded files on to this partition - puppy will se them and hopefully be able to access them. I'm learning all the time.
My problem is my own memory is terrible - although my forgetfory
is absolutely spot on! If you know what I mean.

Thanks again

Spike

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#13 Post by Flash »

Anonymous wrote:Sorry about all the questions.

Thanks

Spike
Questions are what the forum is meant for. Just, please, don't ask them all in one post. :) Start a new topic for each question. One long thread that contains a number of topics is a pain to deal with. Thanks.

rarsa

#14 Post by rarsa »

Actually flash, when they are related questions I prefer them on the same thread.

I agree that in this case they should be different threads. Even 'Guest' says
ust changing the subject for a mo

But if they are questions about the same topic, It's better to have them all on one.

Another recommendation for 'Guest' is to register. Frequently it is easier to explain something if you already know the proficiency level of the person that is asking. i.e. If you have answered posts from the same person.

If I see two posts from Guest, I cannot assume they are the same person, so I have to start over again from the bases. Sometimes the questions are sligthly related, and knowing that you partially answered that in another thread helps.

Bruce B

#15 Post by Bruce B »

rarsa wrote:
Bruce B wrote:The file dates and times update on the pup001 that is being used.
Not really. Puppy writes inside the pup001 file system without the 'host' filesystem knowledge. That is the trick that makes it work on NTFS.

So If the host file system does not know the file is being modified, it won't change the date.
Rasa, I believe what I wrote is accurate and easily validated on FAT, ext2 and ext3 filesystems. It would be easy to check on NTFS also, but I don't have one with Puppy to work with.

Linux changes the date and time attributes on pup001. The file size remains the same, but the fact that changes are made within a file of fixed size doesn't nullify the changing of date and time attributes.

rarsa

#16 Post by rarsa »

It is a Fact that the time and date don't change on an NTFS file system.

The fact that Puppy did not automatically create the pup001 file lead me to believe that Puppy is finding the pup001 file on an NTFS file system.

Bruce B

#17 Post by Bruce B »

rarsa wrote:It is a Fact that the time and date don't change on an NTFS file system.

The fact that Puppy did not automatically create the pup001 file lead me to believe that Puppy is finding the pup001 file on an NTFS file system.
You are essentially saying: Linux can (by some process) access a file on an NTFS, mount it as a virtual filesystem, modify the contents, unmount it but leave unchanged the time and date attributes of the file it just modified.

What date and time does XP on NTFS show for pup001? For example: the date it had inside the .zip archive, the date it was unzipped to XP? Some other date?

rarsa

#18 Post by rarsa »

You are essentially saying: Linux can...
That is exactly what I am saying.
What date and time does XP on NTFS show for pup001?
The date of the file inside the zip file (April 11, 2005 - 5:50 AM).

As I said, this is the neat trick that allows puppy to write to the pup001 file without corrupting the NTFS.

Bruce B

#19 Post by Bruce B »

Very interesting. Because modifying the date/time attributes is a write to the filesystem. That's sort of what we are wanting not to do on NTFS with Puppy.

That's the stamp it should have is the one in the .zip archive. Educational, thanks.