Suspend

Using applications, configuring, problems
Staffan

Suspend

#1 Post by Staffan »

Hello,

I'm trying to use an old laptop as an always-on web browser in my apartment. The harddrive is instantly shut down and the screen saver manages to shut down the screen properly, but the processor (and the fan) seems to be running all the time. It is a bit annoying and I would like to shut it down to a reasonable sleep level. Using Win2k, I have no problem doing it automatically or pressing a sleep button (to suspend the computer, not complete hibernation). Is there any way to do this using Puppy Linux? I'm currently running puppy-1.0.4

keenerd

#2 Post by keenerd »

First, what's the laptop model. Second, does it use APM or ACPI.

Also, what do you want in an "always on web browser"? It sounds more like "instantly on, and off all the rest of the time".

Not enough info to say anything. Um, I guess you could crank up the air conditioner. Colder room means less cooling fan.

Info which may help:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/ACPI-HOWTO/index.html
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Battery-Powered/index.html

Staffan

#3 Post by Staffan »

The laptop is a ThinkPad 600E with a PII 300MHz processor. When looking at the blacklist for ACPI I noticed that TP600E is there for a certain revision of the motherboard. Don't know if that is what I have. However, the "instantly on, and off all the rest of the time" seems like just what I need and that is also what was possible with Win2k only that I couldn't use a RAM-disk there so the HD spun up and down the whole time.
As far as I can figure out, PuppyLinux uses APM in the release I'm running. Would you have any ideas if it could be possible to get it to suspend properly and then wake up?

As for setting the air con, I guess you live in a climate a bit warmer than the Swedish one :wink:. The temperature in the room is low enough, but the processor burns a bit too much power I guess...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

With Windows 2000 Pro you can find out if your computer is ACPI compliant, in the Device Manager window (right-click the My Computer icon on the desktop, then choose Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager.)

At the top of the list in the Device Manager window, you should see the single word "Computer" to the right of a little box with a "+" in it. Click the "+" in the box and, if your computer is ACPI it will say so below the word "Computer."

JibJab

#5 Post by JibJab »

As for setting the air con, I guess you live in a climate a bit warmer than the Swedish one :wink:. The temperature in the room is low enough
Did you try to open the windows? :lol:
The laptop is a ThinkPad 600E with a PII 300MHz processor.
I didn't realize W2k would run on a machine that slow. Puppy should seem like it's flying in comparison.

I suspect that you will need to check the power settings in the BIOS and see what they are set at. There may be a setting that can be adjusted.

keenerd

#6 Post by keenerd »

I have a 600E as well, but the 400Mhz model. More info at:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:600E

The hardware power management works pretty well. Press Fn + Alt F4 to enter standby mode. Or just close the laptop lid. Sometimes it doesn't standby, so you might have to try twice. Dig around in the BIOS for some very limited options.

A note of warning, don't leave the laptop plugged in 24/7, since the 600 series has a bad charger that will ruin your battery.

Staffan

#7 Post by Staffan »

Hello folks,

Thanks for your suggestions! I will have a look at it. Now it looks hopeful at least =)

Regards,
Staffan