Thanks Barry

Promote Puppy !
Mr Doolie

Thanks Barry

#1 Post by Mr Doolie »

I just looked at the clock. I've been "screwing around" with Puppy for *SIX HOURS* now (on and off)! I messed it up a bunch of times but that's OK since it's just one data file on the HDD and who cares what you do to a RAMdrive?
Go back to Winblows, delete the pup1 file and "it never happened".

Barry Old Buddy, this Pup is the greatest for learning Linux! I make a zillion mistakes but no damage done to my main system.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Well said.

It sometimes takes me 6 hours to set up a Linux system (this happened with Kanotix)

You can delete the Pup001 from within Puppy (use utilities/mount unmount) and then turn off the machine (do not logout as this will save a new pup001)

then you turn on the machine - it boots up asks a few questions and it should be up to a new Puppy in a few minutes . . .

In fact I rename the pup001 to pupJuly8 (it is then a backup)

So I agree - Puppy is the best thing sinced sliced lava bread

We are now using the Bash commands (to become the default in 1.04) - so that makes a more compliant to general learning standards

In August our Puplet makers Papasmurf and Pizzasgood will probably be busy tweaking on 1.0.4. John Murga and Bladehunter are busy with ISO Puplets.

You lucky Puppys!
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Thanks Lobster, I'm putting this in the Beginner's index, under "Booting (running) from CD.

If you rename a pup001 file to save it as a backup, how do you then restore it, just boot Puppy, find it and rename it back to pup001? Or is it more complicated than that?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Flash wrote:Thanks Lobster, I'm putting this in the Beginner's index, under "Booting (running) from CD.

If you rename a pup001 file to save it as a backup, how do you then restore it, just boot Puppy, find it and rename it back to pup001? Or is it more complicated than that?
That is right - you just rename it.

However . . .
in Puppy 1.0.4 (coming soon) you will have a choice of names and wether pup001 will be the default, I do not know . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Mr Doolie

Continuing Lobster's renaming idea

#5 Post by Mr Doolie »

Now that Puppy is NTFS-broken he can be even more powerful. Here's what I did. I Still had that FAT32 partition on my system so I let Pup create a new 1-Gig clean pup1 file. The pup loader crapped out right after formatting the file because the usr_cram wasn't on the same partition as the pup1 file (Bug, Barry or "undocumented feature"?). But that's good! The file was formatted but virgin. Nothing had been written to it yet. Back in Winblows I zipped it to "Virgin 1Gig Pup" and saved it on my C: (about 140 Meg file) and removed the FAT32 partition (YAY Partition Magic!). Then I unzipped the virgin zip and booted up my puppy. All's well. I have my working pup1 and a clean virgin pup1.zip. When I want to try something "dangerous" I'll rename that pup1 to My-pup1 and unzip the virgin again. When my buddy Dan comes over and wants to play around I'll make a "Dan's-pup1". If the guy next door wants to play with Linux I'll have a "Norm's-pup1" and so on. Each user in the house can have his own personal Puppy enviroment. Maybe some Winblows batch files can be created to do the renaming or multiple grub entries.....yeah! I'm off to try that! C U later.

Mr Doolie

Nope

#6 Post by Mr Doolie »

Nope. This didn't work:

title Dan's Puppy
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram PFILE=pup001
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/image.gz
boot

title Norm's Puppy
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram PFILE=pup002
boot

title Amber's Puppy
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram PFILE=pup003
boot

but I'm sure the renaming method would work.
Oh well.

Mr Doolie

Just wanted to add a comment about Puppy

#7 Post by Mr Doolie »

Also, Puppy is a good Linux for people who just want to screw around a little but don't want to bother with a full-blown O.S. if you just want to see what Linux is and not rebuild your entire computer system a Poor-man's install with Wingrub is way plenty to get you started with a Linux. Puppy is all the Linux a noobee like me needs and way more. I can play around and mess things up and learn with him. He's fast and plenty powerful enough for me and I don't WANT to eat up 5 or 10 gigs with a full-blown Linux system. Plus he fits in my pocket so I can go over to my friends' houses and say "Wanna see something cool?" Also I can cruise the net at others' houses and not leave any stuff on their computers.

Harvey

How Easy Can It Get?

#8 Post by Harvey »

:D First off Thanks Barry. This is one sweet little Puppy.
I down loaded this OS to my Windblows desk top, and
burned an ISO image to a CD/RW disc using Nero Burning.
Rebooted and changed BIOS to boot from CDROM.
BOWWOW! booted right up.
It's fast and it's fun! This is nice little OS and it was so easy.
Again, thanks.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

Hi Harvey - have placed your comments here

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/PuppyLinuxIRC
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Mr Doolie

System runs cooler

#10 Post by Mr Doolie »

My CPU (AMD 3000+) runs WAY cooler under Puppy. I tried a little test. Doing just websurfing the side of my case where the CPU air comes out gets too hot to touch under Winblows. The CPU temp display on the case reads 70c. The CPU will blow at 90! With Puppy the case is just mildly warm. Don't know the temp. No Linux display software for my system (Mega-180) but I'd guess no more than 45.

Rudy

Great Job

#11 Post by Rudy »

Puppy boots within 15 seconds, does all i want, works stable and shuts down in 6 seconds.

It now lives on a 5.6 GB partition, formely inhabited by a one of the big ones which never really worked...

I tried lots of distributions (as every new linux fan like me does, i guess). I decided to stay with Puppy for a while and learn.

Thank you, Barry. Great Job.