SATA Support?

Booting, installing, newbie
Maluvia

SATA Support?

#1 Post by Maluvia »

Just wondering if the latest Puppy (1.0.2) has SATA support.
I have an nVidia nForce3 Ultra chipset with only sata drives.
The version of Puppy I have (1.0.0) can't see my drives, so I can only use it in RAMdrive mode. :(

Is the newer kernel in Puppy 1.0.2 configured with support for nvidia sata controllers?

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#2 Post by nduanetesh »

Hi,

I myself have been wondering the same thing lately. I'm running an nForce2 chipset, and though i don't currently have any SATA drives, I've been thinking of upgrading to one. Judging from the lack of replies to your post, I'd wager that nobody's got an answer for you. So your best bet is probably just to fire up a 1.0.2 Cd and see what happens. If puppy can't recognize your drives...well...at least it was free! And I'll appreciate you letting me know whether it worked or not.

Thanks

ND

Maluvia

#3 Post by Maluvia »

your best bet is probably just to fire up a 1.0.2 Cd and see what happens. If puppy can't recognize your drives...well...at least it was free! And I'll appreciate you letting me know whether it worked or not.
I'll do that - but as I am on dialup it will take a while to download.
Even if it doesn't have the sata support, I imagine we could recompile the kernel with it in and remaster the Puppy CD.

(If Barry could post the kernel config file he is using somewhere, we could probably tell right off the bat.) :)

Maluvia

#4 Post by Maluvia »

Found the kernel config file in the puppy_unleashed_core tarball here:
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... 0.2.tar.gz

The config file shows support for sata as loadable modules.
This could be recompiled to build in a specific sata driver.
I'm still going to dl the 1.0.2 distro and see how it works.

The puppy-unleashed-core is great - you can do pretty much anything with it!
Puppy rocks!
It's going to be really fun playing with this and creating custom builds for special purposes.

Thank you Barry!!!
Never give up - Never surrender!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Yes, and having that core you will be able to easily try out changes, which should result in Puppy getting improved more rapidly! (I almost type "rabidly" -- sorry Puppy)

Note, I haven't uploaded the full set of modules, as I plan to move onto the 2.6.12 kernel for the next release of Pup.
Then, I'll upload the full set.

danleff

#6 Post by danleff »

SATA is not recognized in my install. My SATA drive is just data right now. Once Barry releases the full module set, I may give it a try. Hopefully it just needs one module and does not depend on others. I'll have to look at my Mandrake install and see what it's got.

On an off the topic note, Barry, did you get Mandriva 2005 going? I just did an install and added the kernel source after the initial install. I have a link to a mirror, if you need it, that actually works. So, you can add the kernel source package after the main install..
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

Waldo2

#7 Post by Waldo2 »

I've tried V1.0.2 on three machines with SATA drives and gotten a message such as "No info found about the device 1106:3149 (RAID)!" in the Control Panel Hardware probe. This has not been a Puppy showstopper in my case since the machines also had either PATA or USB devices available.

If all V1.0.2 requires is SATA module installation, I'll be happy to give it a try (Linux newcomer instruction needed), otherwise I'm looking forward to 2.6.12

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

danleff wrote:On an off the topic note, Barry, did you get Mandriva 2005 going? I just did an install and added the kernel source after the initial install. I have a link to a mirror, if you need it, that actually works. So, you can add the kernel source package after the main install..
See my post in Misc section.
Right now I'm evaluating Vector Linux.
I'm leaning heavily toward using a Slackware based distro for future Puppy compiling, for all sorts of reasons.

danleff

#9 Post by danleff »

I looked at my Fedora box, which supports sata. How does one add the modules to Puppy in the gz format? Of course, fedora has them in plain sata_via.ko format?
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

BarryK
Puppy Master

#10 Post by BarryK »

(If Barry could post the kernel config file he is using somewhere, we could probably tell right off the bat.) :)
It's already in Puppy.
Look in /lib/modules

Maluvia

#11 Post by Maluvia »

nduanetesh, sorry to take so long getting back on this . . .

Just tried out 1.02 recently and it cannot see my hdds, or my sound card.
I downloaded and checked in the 'allmodules' tarball and couldn't find the needed modules there, either.
(Need sata_nv, and the alsa hdsp driver for my system.)
Will need to recompile the kernel with the missing drivers.
Just downloaded the 2.6.12 kernel and wil be playing around with that.

Just for general reference, if you're considering an nForce3 MB, the one I have (K8N Neo2 Platinum) is probably not a good choice for Linux:
I found this link to K8 Linux-compatible mainboards, and the sata driver for the MSIK8N Neo2 is the only one listed as being problematic - stating that the sata driver is: "somehow buggy, unstable and/or unusable. " :(
http://wiki.debian.net/?Mainboards

I'm going to keep trying to get it working, though, as I don't feel like tearing the MB out of the system I just built.

Barry,
Yes, I found the kernel config file - thanks.
Looking forward to Puppy 1.04 and 2.6.12 kernel.
(Would like to request that modules for alsa and sata be made available somewhere.)
Never give up - Never surrender!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#12 Post by BarryK »

No, Pup 1.0.4 will be using 2.4.29 kernel.
...won't be moving to a 2.6 kernel for awhile probably.