Can't download pupgets at school

Booting, installing, newbie
trad

Can't download pupgets at school

#1 Post by trad »

Genuine newbie here, well sorta. I teach physical science and chemistry in a Louisiana high school and am building a computer lab for students using old recycled computers, mostly IBM 300 GLs with 64 megs RAM, a gig or 2 on drives as some come without drives and I use any available spare. I love Puppy and plan to use it as the basis for my final project for my master's in educational technology, (almost there, by Christmas if all this works). My problem is that I can't get an actual hook-up between Pupget and the download sites, tells me to try again later. I need to get dictionary files into AbiWord. Linux is the way to go for education and Puppy is the best I've seen. We are on a T1 Lan with a proxy server. Mozilla and Firefox, (on the new alpha for 1.0.5 work with the proxy just fine. I have used Fedora a bit and looked at Knoppix, DSL, and others so I understand the basic language and managed to set up APT and Synaptic in Fedora. My ignorance is showing, here. Thanks for any help! trad
naramatha*

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

see:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=2034

it sounds like your proxy is blocking icmp packets
a quick workaround would be to edit pupget
which pupget
and change the line ping ... to true

you might need to setup /root/.wgetrc to work with the address of your proxy

you can always download packages and install them as "local" packages