Puplet with Bootees v1.0.2 50 meg Opera based Puppy

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Puplet with Bootees v1.0.2 50 meg Opera based Puppy

#1 Post by Lobster »

8)

You know Puppy is kewl.

John Murga I hope will be announcing his new Opera Puppy with Perl very soon. You can find a link from the wiki (news and new 1.0.2 Release) so I hope he will forgive me for this post.

:)

Otherwise Lobster on the barbie tonight (no crude jokes at the back please - wait a minute . . . )

Puplet (Codename for the Opera 1.0.2) has extensive bootees. A splash screen comes up and you can boot - choosing if you are gonna save to HD or leave the HD untouched (normally Puppy saves its set-up in Pup001)

You can also Boot with ACPI support

ACPI (short for "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface") is a standard that defines power and configuration management interfaces between an operating system and the BIOS. It is meant to supersede the older APM standard (for power management) and provide a generic interface for recognition and configuration of hardware devices

You can boot from floppy
or skip CDRom boot and boot from next device

Next comes the Giant Penguin (Lock up Tux) It is big and a very pleasing background image (Unless you are scared by big birds that eat more fish than you do).

Opera works fine. Perl support - well if you need that check it out and report back. I dunno how that works :( - Something to do with CGI and a web design language. The default WP is Textmaker. Default spreadsheet is ABS (John was working on another interesting spreadsheet but . . .)

This version of Puppy is ideal for a lot of people. Those who want to boot puppy from a 50 meg business card. Those who want the tiniest download by modem. Those not wishing to disturb another users HD. Those wishing to use Opera. Those wanting Perl. Those wishing to try if their system will work with ACPI. Those needing a choice of boot options.

I am sorry if I have missed anything (but I was so excited at the release of a new Pup)

I know Barry is thinking about a Boot menu for 1.0.3 and incorporating this in the splash screen is very nice . . .

Show some respect. We are not worthy! We are not worthy! (well you might be - but I certainly am not)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Apparently, when you choose "not to save to the HD" (I forget the exact wording of the boot screen :oops: ) at boot it does not even look for a pup001, which is good for getting around problems with a corrupt pup001. :)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Flash wrote:Apparently, when you choose "not to save to the HD" (I forget the exact wording of the boot screen :oops: ) at boot it does not even look for a pup001, which is good for getting around problems with a corrupt pup001. :)
It's also good for installing to hard drive, when you have the annoying situation of pup001 being in the partition that you want to install to... which means that the partition is in use and Puppy can't install to it!

Rhino

#4 Post by Rhino »

How would you boot it and tell it to put pup001 on sda1? What if pup001 was already there? It didn't look I suppose, because I got the default puplet startup screen (which looks great!) and not any of my customizations from puppy1.02-mozilla.