DotPup Handler 0.0.2

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
GuestToo
Puppy Master

DotPup Handler 0.0.2

#1 Post by GuestToo »

DotPup Handler 0.0.2

(the script that runs when you click a dotpup)

To uninstall, click this dotpup again

minor modifications to version 0.0.1:

I added Always, Never buttons, so you can configure it to run in quiet mode, like Lobster's DotPup Handler

it saves the config options in /etc/dotpup/

i removed -geometry when calling xmessage, gxmessage

there might be bugs, but it seems to work ok
Attachments
dotpup002.pup
DotPup Handler 0.0.2
(2.22 KiB) Downloaded 1920 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

One of the things I notice (I think with this version too) is dotpups are saved in wherever I last saved a file - which could be nearly anywhere . . .

So I have to hunt them out
A sensible default download location might be my-roxapps or my-applications? Is that a reasonable possibility? Then I know where they are - or perhaps when the dotpup is downloading it could tell me where it is off too . . . or offer to go there and install?

Just some thoughts :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

dotpups are saved in wherever I last saved a file
this is nothing to do with dotpups
this is how your browser (or whatever you use to download files) is setup

you can configure Firefox to always download to a particular folder, if you like ... for example, /root or /tmp or my-documents/downloads ... i guess Mozilla is similar, i don't use it much because i find the interface is awkward and clunky ... the Firefox download manager will tell you where each file you downloaded is, if you right click the file and click Properties

you can setup a mime file association in your browser for .pup files ... so when you click a link to a .pup file, it automatically Opens With your choice of program ... for example, you can set it to automatically Open With Rox ... if you do that, when you click a .pup link, it won't ask, it will immediately download it and run the .pup as if you had clicked it in a Rox window ... i think that it would be a little too convenient if the default Puppy was setup that way

from the first time i thought of the dotpup idea, i thought of using internet browsers like Firefox (or Opera or Mozilla or Dillo or Elinks) and html web pages and rox for the interface ... why reinvent the wheel and try to write a gui program to do the same thing a browser does already (and better than i could write it)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

:) Thanks for the explanation
I rarely look for causes . . . just report the experience. I do use Mozilla - maybe the default download can be changed - adoption of the Dotpup_Downloader would also bypass this experience . . .

Thanks again :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D