How to create a desktop shortcut to start a program?

Booting, installing, newbie
smhardesty

How to create a desktop shortcut to start a program?

#1 Post by smhardesty »

First things first. Thank you, thank you, thank you. After playing around with various Distros over the past few years, I think I've finally found a real, everyday use, replacement for Windows. I've had Puppy on a laptop and one desktop for a week and I'm thrilled with it.

I do have a newbie type problem I need help with.

I connect to the 'Net via dialup. I had been using toonel.net ( more info at www.toonel.net ) to speed up Internet browsing on my Windows machines. After getting Firefox and JRE 1.5.0_08 installed and working on Puppy, I have been trying to get toonel.net to work. In short, toonel.net is a Java proxy that compresses content to speed web browsing. I can successfully launch toonel by opening an rxvt terminal and issuing this command;

java -jar toonel.jar

I'd like to create a desktop shortcut to execute the command, but I'm too unfamiliar with scripting and Linux commands in general to figure it out. I know there has to be a way to accomplish this. The toonel jar file is presently located in /. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Everitt

#2 Post by Everitt »

Drag and drop a file to the desktop. It doesn't matter what file, we're just using this as an easy way to create a new icon.

Right click on the icon and select 'edit item'

Enter 'java' in the top box, replacing the path to the file you dropped.

In the box below it (Arguments..) enter '-jar /toonel.jar'

In the third box enter something list 'Start toonel'

Click ok, and you're done. :)

smhardesty

#3 Post by smhardesty »

That didn't seem to work. I get this message;

Arguments (java -jar /toonel.jar) given for non-executable item java

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

Make a shell script with the command in it.

You can make it in /root/my-applications/bin to have in also in the search path if you want.

Drag and drop the script to desktop

Find an icon for it and give it what name you want (the script name and desktop name can differ)

-------------

I'm presuming you know how to make a simple script, if not ask.

smhardesty

#5 Post by smhardesty »

BINGO!

Thanks, Bruce B. That did it. The only other thing I had to do was edit the properties to allow 'Exec' permission to all. It works great now.

If you haven't tried toonel.net, it really does work well on dialup machines. Speeds browsing up considerably. I particularly like the fact that it doesn't utilize any caching mechanism.

I'm getting more and more comfortable with Puppy with every use. I really hope future development continues to keep Puppy small and agile.

GrumpyWolfe

games

#6 Post by GrumpyWolfe »

Thanks that solve a problem I have been trying to solve
Live and Let Live

Acer Aspire One N450 1.66GHz

[url=http://sourceforge.net/projects/mywolfe/]MyWolfe at Sourceforge[/url]
[url=http://mywolfe.blogspot.com/]MyWolfe Blog[/url]
[url=http://groups.google.com/group/mywolfe-linux]MyWolfe Groups[/url]