BarryK
Puppy Master

Puppy 1.0.5rc test release for developers

#1 Post by BarryK »

Get it from here:

http://www.puppy.wise-guy.us/puppy-1.0.5rc-mozilla.iso
http://www.puppy.wise-guy.us/puppy-1.0. ... la.iso.txt

...courtesy of babbs.

This is a release candidate for developers and Puppy enthusiasts to test.
A quick checklist on what is new:

1. thoughtjourney's JWM configuration gui.
2. thoughtjourney's any-file-to-PDF converter.
3. Wireless Wizard and WAG.
4. chooselocale script
5. burniso2cd script
6. PCCC remaster-CD script
7. improved uXplor
8. linneighborhood bugfix.
9. spacereplace, rename, du, sort; new or replaced utilities
10. GTKSee new version
11. image blocking, spellchecking in Mozilla
12. cd burning: no more scsi-emul.
13. Gxine, xine updated.
14. Desktop trashcan
15. usr_devx.sfs for compiling.
16. Samba upgrade

There is one "bug" I think:
If you want to test thoughtjourney's JWM configurator, first edit /root/.jwmrc and uncomment the second last line -- this is a special <include> tag.
Another bug:
currently the <restart> tag in .jwmrc doesn't work -- you will see an alternative method commented-out, that does work.

1.0.5rc creates pup003, so as not to mess around with the others.

It only has JWM but if you want Fvwm95, it is a PupGet, and if I have done it
right then when you install Fvwm95 the menu will be correct.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Thanks Barry, and thanks Babbs; I downloaded the iso Friday morning about 7:15 local time and it took less than 2.5 minutes.

rarsa

#3 Post by rarsa »

I was so gladdly surprised to see that the iso is not growing despite this being an improved version in many regards.

Though I am wondering. Does that iso include the usr_devx.sfs? I didn't find a link to a separate download.

I cannot test it right now, but I'll do as soon as I get home.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Glad to see JWM (which seemed very stable in the Alpha2) as the Window Manager and Puppy is even smaller (50 meg again)

Have updated the wiki news . . .

Wondering what "xi810-4.3.0v2-xkbd" is in the pupgets? . . . so downloading . . .
Nice job Barry and everyone involved. Many thanks :)
Does that iso include the usr_devx.sfs
. . . seems to from Barrys page - I have updated details here - please correct any mistakes . . .
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/KrazyPuppy

Get testing guys . . .
here is the JWM theme changer and tweaker and stuff . . .
Attachments
thought.jpg
(67.65 KiB) Downloaded 2356 times
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#5 Post by Guest »

JWM_Display is *great* - thanks thoughtjourney!
- I like the way the other display settings are included (GXSet, GTKTheme,Desktop Background)
...this means we just need 1 icon on the menu for the 'Display' section of the Control Panel, which helps reduce clutter :)
- so call it just 'Display', perhaps...

Shame I have to manually amend .jwmrc to get the Included file to over-ride the default settings
- hopefully this will be fixed for FINAL?

/me carries on exploring...

F

babbs

#6 Post by babbs »

Laptop in car, extra blank CD-R in the bag...

I'll have a copy burnt before I leave the parking lot at work so that I can play with it in the parking lot called the Washington DC highways on my way home.

:D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

first impressions

#7 Post by Lobster »

8)

Thoughtjourneys JWM Configuration is a wonderful addition. There is a new advanced option - I wonder if we will see that in 1.0.5? The XP theme needs to use a darker green / olive . . . but that XP theme will be very familiar to many people. I tried to install other JWM themes as dotpups but probably was too keen and did not read the instructions - so used the default. My fav of the GTK themes is the quiet grey - other will have theirs . . .
We have gone back to 50 meg - this is great - Firefox is now a pupget - not sure which version?
Be interested to see how easy the wifi wizard is?
Xine played full screen but my processor was not up to - back down in a box the sound and vision in syn - DVD playing - great stuff . . . If you need to up the volume in JWM it is in Multimedia - Xt Sound (I think it is called - I am in 1.0.4 again)
Had to change the Mozilla theme to pinball (my fav) that is easy enough to do.
Good to see Mtpaint as the only graphic prog with one screen grabber - Mark Tyler should be proud of his graphic prog, it continues to improve and simplify.
Hope a sans serif font as in 1.0.4, will become the default and perhaps the F-prot will be finally removed and turned into a Pupget..
I felt the whole environment was familiar and as always the big changes are in subtle but essential upgrades and improvements.

Is the Is the Burn2iso working? Wifi? Is compiling still possible? What happened to KDE (Krazy Puppy)?

What are your first impressions?

PS.
. . . do not forget - talk on IRC 3AM GMT - tonight - check wiki news for details . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Ted Dog

did multi-session work for anyone? v1.05rc

#8 Post by Ted Dog »

I have been working on DVD mutli-sessions on the last few versions. I could not get 1.05rc to work on regular CD burned as multi-session. Is it me or is it somethig new? :?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

Using my pschic powers, which I don't have, I conclude:

Puppy moved from "scuzzy" emulation to a new system - did you run the CD wizard before proceeding? What is the process you are going through and where does the error occur? Or does it seem to have worked but does not?

More clues please TedDog - more clues . . . ?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Pizzasgood

#10 Post by Pizzasgood »

I'm in 1.0.5rc, very nice. The wireless wiz did absolutely nothing for me. First, it made me find my own drivers. Then it made me install them with ndiswrapper and load ndiswrapper on my own. When I got done with that, the gui thing didn't even work when I clicked start dhcp. So, I found my old files and just copied them over.

I then proceeded to try out the dotpup lister thingamabob. That was pretty slick. I installed all the small stuff I needed, then proceeded to pupget to top it off. I'll get the bigger stuff overnight, so I don't have to wait on it.

I also updated rox to the newer one. Then I rebooted to check that out, but my computer spazzed and forgot that it had harddrives. It seems to be getting alzheimers. Anyway, I rebooted again and all was well, booted puppy, and reminded myself to complain about the boot splash (too bright, it goes from black screen to white, then back to black when it is done. Disorienting. But this is from the guy who made the test-pattern splash, so take no heed :wink: ).

Rox forgot that it was updated, so I copied the backed up .xinit from the new one back, and it was cool again. I like how I can use my more fancy icons with it.

Hmmm.... what else? Oh, I miss the bark, I still need to reactivate that.... I believe I missed the explanation for it's deactivation. Did it scare the Windows people, or was it causing a problem with audio-challenged computers?

Here are my personal-taste complaints. They are mostly a matter of opinion, from a 17 year old guy at that.
A. Too pink
B. Dog should be Puppy, a wolf cub, or siberian husky
C. Needs bark; I can add the bite on my own :)
D. Splash screen should be darker, or entire boot process lightened
E. Wireless wizzard is from Oz, needs to be replaced by Gandalf or Dumbledore (I know, I know. It's a work in progress. But I went and got my hopes up, and they came crashing down.)

Well, I guess I'll keep messing around and see what else I find. Bark on, Barry!
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#11 Post by GuestToo »

i was thinking it would be better to put the -o option in /usr/local/bin/rox instead of .xinitrc and the trash program ... rox 2.2.20 changes that file, so it could remove the -o option and it would be happy too

i had to register /usr/local/bin/rox with PupGet, or it would be restored when Puppy upgrades ... if the -o option were in /usr/local/bin/rox, then it would just use the older rox and /root/Choices with no problems

as it is now, i think if you have rox 2.2.20 installed, which registers /usr/local/bin/rox with PupGet, but not any of the other files, which are in /root/my-roxapps, then it will use the new /usr/local/bin/rox file which will break Puppy because the new rox and shared-mime database will not be installed ... a workaround could be to have it check if ROX-Filer was installed in my-roxapps, and if it wasn't, to run the older rox instead ... something like:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
[ -x /root/my-roxapps/ROX-Filer/AppRun ] && exec /root/my-roxapps/ROX-Filer/AppRun "$@"
exec /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/AppRun -o "$@"
Puppy is a rather hostile environment for dotpup packages

a dotpup package could be made that installs in /usr and registers with PupGet ... but there's probably not much point ... might as well just make an Unleashed package instead

dewdrop

Re: first impressions

#12 Post by dewdrop »

Lobster wrote:8)

Is the Is the Burn2iso working?What are your first impressions?

PS.
. . . do not forget - talk on IRC 3AM GMT - tonight - check wiki news for details . . .
Hi Lobster,

I downloaded 1.0.5rc1 last night just before the start of the IRC chat. Used it during the chat, and believe I had installed the Burn2iso using Wizard Wizard correctly....at least everything seemed to be in order.

This morning, I tried to test the Burn2iso program with negative results. It went thru the burning procedure okay, until it came time to actually burn the iso. Nothing.

My impression of 1.0.5 is: I'm already tired of the peach colored desktop, and the dog staring me in the face - cosmetic I know, and I can change it (I did).

I've not tested any other programs on any version of 1.0.5 preferring to leave that to the guys who really know what they are doing (I don't for the most part...at least not with the expert leadership I receive from Rarsa.)

Later,

Dewdrop

pakt

Re: Puppy 1.0.5rc test release for developers

#13 Post by pakt »

Some early feedback:

1. If a network interface hasn't been configured yet, starting mozilla will cause a 'Segmentation fault'.

2. When I used PupGet package manager to download 'fvwm95-2.0.43f', I get a warning that I need 'libc.so.5'. Where does one get that library package? It is not in the list.

3. Found the PupGet package manager information rather confusing (probably me, I find most things confusing :lol: ). You mention that the 'Official live-CD has most of the CORE groups installed'. How would I know which I have and which are missing? *Where* would find a missing group should I need to install one?

4. Minor niggle: The 'peach' theme wasn't too popular in our household. Prefer a cooler colour - light blue is always nice. ;)

5. Love the puppy background - there, some positive feedback too!

Otherwise, thanks Barry for all the work you've put into Puppy :!:

chrisperry

Puppy good, but net config bad

#14 Post by chrisperry »

checked this out this morning love the looks,
however when i try to set up the eth0 it locks up my system, whether i try to use automatic configure, or manual, or test config.
however eth1 works fine.
eth0 is my internet
thanks for any help
chris

MU

#15 Post by MU »

Strange, different to Puppy 1.0.4 i did not have to set up my Ethernetcard, I just copied pppoe.conf and chap-secrets to the new system and could immedeatly go online using adsl-start.
In Puppy 1.0.4 I had to run the Network-Setup first.

Mark

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: did multi-session work for anyone? v1.05rc

#16 Post by BarryK »

Ted Dog wrote:I have been working on DVD mutli-sessions on the last few versions. I could not get 1.05rc to work on regular CD burned as multi-session. Is it me or is it somethig new? :?
I haven't touched any of the multi-session stuff since 1.0.4. Don't recall any changes anyway :?

I've got it on my to-do list to take a look at you dvd mods.
Probably could do something with the burniso2cd script also, well, the createpuppyonline (PCCC remaster cd script) also, as they all use cdrecord.

I hope that you can figure out what is the problem!

edoc

#17 Post by edoc »

rarsa wrote:Though I am wondering. Does that iso include the usr_devx.sfs? I didn't find a link to a separate download.
According to the Wireless Wizard, no, it has to be manually downloaded (it says from the Download area but that is incorrect, it comes from www.nstsoftware.com)

Note: One must remove the wireless nic one had dreamed might be autodetected and insert a wired nic, then reboot so it may be detected.

Another Wireless Wizard oversight is to specify that Perl needs to be acquired via PupGet ... and if one forgets to have the wired nic in place for that it gets all confused and the computer needs to be rebooted.

Once Perl has been loaded (I am guessing that needs to happen *after* usr_devx.sfs 42M I think has been downloaded to /mnt/home/) then one needs to copy the XP driver folder to /mnt/home/

Note: MUT needs to be run to mount the CD drive

One is left to guess which of the many .inf files may be the correct one. I tried three and got

"lo no wireless extensions"
"hi no wireless extensions"

until the third try when I got only

"lo no wireless extensions"

Run_WAG xmessage displayed:

not using PCMCIA

module ndiswrapper running
dhcpcd not running
wifi-beta not installed

could not find interface in /proc/net/wireless
ap test failure
no internet ping test

no wireless networks detected
error when scanning

No lights on my wireless modem unlike 1.0.4 so I am not sure what is wrong.

Not sure where to go from here.

doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

rarsa

#18 Post by rarsa »

edoc wrote:]
rarsa wrote:Though I am wondering. Does that iso include the usr_devx.sfs? I didn't find a link to a separate download.
According to the Wireless Wizard, no, it has to be manually downloaded (it says from the Download area but that is incorrect, it comes from www.nstsoftware.com)
edoc, thanks for your answer, but usr_devx.sfs does not have anything to do with the wireless wizard. It is the development package that was released as a saparate file for 1.0.5 alpha.

After I got home and booted 1.0.5rc, I found that it contains the development utilities and libraries.

I am still amazed with Barry's ability to pack all that on 59 MB.

edoc

#19 Post by edoc »

rarsa wrote:
edoc wrote:]
edoc, thanks for your answer, but usr_devx.sfs does not have anything to do with the wireless wizard. It is the development package that was released as a separate file for 1.0.5 alpha.
The Wireless Wizard requires it for setting up ndiswrapper. It is specified in Step 1.

Still wish I could figure out why the wireless card is recognized under 1.0.4 and not under 1.0.5RC

[/quote]
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Pizzasgood

#20 Post by Pizzasgood »

I never installed perl, and ndiswrapper worked fine, so that tells me that perl comes in the dev package. Just so you all know.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]