no sound on laptop

Booting, installing, newbie
Chris

no sound on laptop

#1 Post by Chris »

i have a Via sound chip that isnt recognized by puppy 1.0.2 . Is there a driver available

Chris

PCI scan

#2 Post by Chris »

here is the hardware probe
Attachments
pciscan.jpg
(104.43 KiB) Downloaded 493 times

babbs

#3 Post by babbs »

Hi Chris,

I noticed that you said you are trying to use Puppy 1.0.2 with this test.

I had the same problem with that version on my laptop too. (A different laptop than yours, but same problem.) There were a sizeable discussion on this forum about sound in general, but since I didn't have that problem on my desktop, I didn't pay attention too closely at the time. Sorry. At the time, using Puppy on my laptop took a back seat. I did try Puppy 1.0.3 on the laptop, but had other issues that prevented its use.

I would strongly recommend that you give Puppy 1.0.4 a try. It seems to have overcome a lot of hardware issues. (By the way, Puppy 1.0.4 works like a charm on my laptop!)

Regards,
Matt

Chris

puppy sound

#4 Post by Chris »

I had tried the 1.0.3 and the display did not work so i have been sticking to this version. I think the display adaptor has trouble with xorg. I will try the new puppy as soon as i can get some more blank cds, thanks

babbs

#5 Post by babbs »

Display problems was the reason I couldn't use 1.0.3 also. I've been sooooo happy with 1.0.4. Although we still have some time to wait for the official release of 1.0.5, I'm pretty excited about what I'm hearing from the alpha testers. :D I downloaded a copy of 1.0.5alpha2 today and I'll burn it to CD to see for myself shortly. (Not recommended for new users or for regular use.)

Let us know how it goes when you try 1.0.4.

babbs

#6 Post by babbs »

Chris,

I just tried the 1.0.5alpha2 on my laptop and had video problems. I would not recommend you attempt this version to fix your present problems. For now, 1.0.4 is your best bet.

Babbs

Chris

ok but now the usb drive wont work

#7 Post by Chris »

running the 1.0.4 now and there is sound which is all well and good, but now the script for installing puppy to the usb stick seems buggy. It would not make the stick bootable for some reason. And was very sluggish, would not let me update from older puppy and i had to format it three times to get it to at least install on the stick.

babbs

#8 Post by babbs »

Chris,

Now that you have Puppy up and running, its time to register to the forum... (Recommended, not required.) :lol:

There are a number of issues about using and booting from USB thumb drives. There are about as many solutions as there are issues, but again, more information is needed before we can help you out. Does your BIOS provide you with the option to boot to USB? What is the brand, model and size of your USB drive? What version of USB (1.1 or 2.0) is your USB port and USB drive?

Babbs

Chris

booting from usb

#9 Post by Chris »

HI Babbs, thanks again for your help. If you would read into my last post, i said i could not update my usb stick from puppy, meaning 1.0.2, which boots just fine. The update script on 1.0.4 is buggy and extremely slow, when it finally gets to the make disk bootable it says ok but its not. So what i did was to download syslinux.zip, and extracted, and was able to boot then but would not find user_cram.fs. So I am trying various things but no luck. My usb is 2.0 . Scroll up to my hardware probe. My stick is a PNY 512 meg 20x Direct Access formatted to FAT. It always works with puppy 1.0.2., Debian does not recognize it for some reason. On another note, my wifi card is a Ralink RT2500, puppy dont see it, and I know that that card has a GPL'd driver out and its one of the few that do, would be nice to see support for it.

babbs

#10 Post by babbs »

Hi Chris,

You caught me in a lapse... After reading your last post, I realized that you had written those things already. Sorry. Is the port on you computer also USB 2.0? My laptop's USB port is 1.1, but that doesn't help me run my 2.0 thumb drive at full speed. :(

Although I understand in theory what you are saying about the make bootable script, I haven't done that process personally because it wants to wipe everything on the thumb drive first. What I have done in the past was to follow the older manual hard drive install procedures to copy the individual files from the CD to the thumb drive. It has been so long that I don't remember if I did the syslinux to it or not. If Debian doesn't recognize your thumb drive, there may be a hardware problem that cropped up at a bad time. Does a Windows box recognize it?

Babbs