Super fast puppy

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Mr Doolie

Super fast puppy

#1 Post by Mr Doolie »

Would it be possible (in 1.06 version maybe) if a user has like a gig or more of RAM to have puppy copy all the pup01 files to a ram file, transfer home to that file and then (optionally) copy all the files back to the real pup01 file?
Yes, it might take a few seconds for the copying but imagine if puppy could run 100% in RAM! He'd be REAL fast in operation.

Great for demos, no?

Also great for testing things. You could install whatever you liked and do whatever you want and if you don't like it just say "no" to the "Save Your Changes?" option at shutdown.

The multisession CD does this with a CDR(W). Why not have this option with the normal puppy?

Why not make it the default option? Set up some kind of shadow drive with the real pup01 and a RAM file looking like one drive. All changes go to the RAM part and you can save or not save the changes on logoff.

Crazy idea?

EDIT:

It'd make a safe browser too. You could browse "dangerous" sites and not worry about messing up your pup file. Just don't save the changes on logoff.
Last edited by Mr Doolie on Fri 16 Sep 2005, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I like it. Isn't that also the way it works when the pup001 file is on a flash drive?

#3 Post by Guest »

Actually ,for over 768MB if I remember correctly, the linux kernel has to be compiled with the BIG_RAM option that slows it down I little bit I think. So you'll need a custom kernel to do what you want to begin with

PeterSieg

Other faster puppy..?

#4 Post by PeterSieg »

I was thinking about something else, to speed puppy boot...

To my knowledge Puppy run's the hardware detection each time it boots..
(As also most other live distro's..)
This is fine if you change something.. but normally your PC is the same as
at the last boot (not mine :) )...

So we could save the results of the hardware detection somewhere (in pup00x).
If Puppy finds these stored information, it skips hardware detection and
uses this information from last time.

If you want to force new detection, just delete the saved info's.
(or have a boot switch etc.)

I don't know how much this could save in terms of seconds until desktop
is up and running..?

If it is only lets say below 3-4 seconds, it is probably not worth it.
If it is more.. hey puppy not taking 30s, but only less then 25s...

PS
Have fun :)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

I've wondered about that myself, only I don't know enough about how Puppy works to try anything. Why go through the whole hareware detection process every time you boot, if nothing has changed? I have an internal cable modem and my ISP uses DHCP, so my IP address can change each time the computer boots, but couldn't that be accounted for without having to go through the whole hardware recognition thing?

Mr Doolie

#6 Post by Mr Doolie »

You could just run the Ethernet wizard again. Wouldn't that reset your DH.....whatever you said.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Hey,I just learned all those acronyms, and I like to show them off. :lol: DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Something Something. What it means is that you don't get to keep the same IP address; each time your internet connection resets, your ISP can assign you a different IP address.

As I said, I don't know much about how Puppy works. Ideally, I wouldn't need to manually rerun any wizards to use the computer after it reboots. Obviously Puppy finds out the IP address during the boot process, for I only need to click on the "Mozilla" icon to get online as soon as Puppy finishes booting. Whether finding out the IP address is considered separate from the hardware detection process I don't know.

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

On my system, the ip is gotten when a script linked from my rc.local file is run. I don't know about yours.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Mr Doolie

#9 Post by Mr Doolie »

Flash wrote:I like it. Isn't that also the way it works when the pup001 file is on a flash drive?
The flash version writes the entire pup file back to the device. That would be cool if my HDD was FAT32 but it's NTFS. Puppy would farkle my drive if he wrote directly to it.

What I meant was have puppy copy all the files one by one from pup001 to ram, transfer home to ram and then (optionally) copy ram to pup001 on exit. That would work on FAT32 and NTFS systems.

[Lightbulb appears above my head] Could this be done for the time being with script files?

Request: Four script files with desktop icons please.

For FAT32 and NTFS systems
1) Copy all files from pup001 to ram and transfer home (root?) to ram.
2) Copy all files from ram to the pup001 file.

Call them "RAM Puppy" and "Save All Changes" or something like that.

For FAT32 systems only
3) Copy the entire pup001 file to ram and transfer control to it.
4) Rewrite the pup001 back to where it came from.

Actually #3 would be OK for NTFS also as long as you didn't run #4.
It could be used for playing around with new ideas or software. Who cares if you mess up or virus up a ram drive?