Congrats!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
macadavy

Congrats!

#1 Post by macadavy »

Congrats, TazOC, on the best Puppy yet IMHO!
Just a coupla minor glitches to report so far:
Running Shanghai Solitaire mahjongg game comes close to smoking my CPU. The culprit seems to be something called wish8.5 (usr/bin/wish8.5) which fires up two instances and kicks Xorg into overdrive: the CPU is maxed out at 100%!
The only other problem, again minor, is that audio streams (e.g. <a href="http://www.radioparadise.com"> ... radise</a>) stutter in Xmms when scrolling in web pages, also with Gxine, but not when played in RealPlayer10 - go figure!
That's it! This is one very polished beta, at this rate v1 will approach perfection! Certainly its head & shoulders above a certain other WAboy who foists his beta-testing on an unsuspecting public and overcharges them for their pains. ;-)
All Puppy is cake - but you've really put the icing on that cake!
To do list:
try out K3B (intigrate .sfs's in remaster?)
install & configure CUPS printing
download & install nVidia drivers & try out 3D
sys specs:
Lighthouse Puppy v2.15Sea_Mbeta4 + v2K3B & Mariner .sfs; Intel PIII 450mhz (o.c. to 600mhz); 512 Mb SDRAM; VIA ApolloPro130x mobo; C-Media CM8738 sndcd; Macronix MX987x5 LANcd; nVidia NV17 [GeForce4 MX 440] vidcd; 52x LG CD-R; 44x Yamaha CD-RW; 2x40G Samsung RAID HDs; 2.36G swap.
(Anyone know if there's a Puppy HW database where the above info can be posted for all to see? Feel free to copy & paste if such exists.)
I reckon the highest praise one can offer any developer is this: "It just works!" This is the best combination of beauty & utility I've ever seen.
btw - Since there's no PayPal link on your Lighthouse site (hint, hint!) I've taken the liberty of sending Barry K. a USD 25 contribution and I invite all Puppy lovers to match or better it... throw that dog a bone!
Attachments
scrn2.png
(165.75 KiB) Downloaded 1088 times
scrn1.png
(135.65 KiB) Downloaded 1059 times
Last edited by macadavy on Fri 07 Sep 2007, 09:00, edited 2 times in total.
[i]Welcome to my weird, wild, wonderful, wired world![/i]

macadavy

Ooops!

#2 Post by macadavy »

Meant to post the above as a reply in the Lighthouse thread - could an admin pls move it there? :oops:

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

hi macadavy,

regarding the cpu usage with shanghai, until your post i've never even looked, but i just ran it & confirmed your experience. as an alternative i checked xmahjongg & it puts only a small load on the cpu. if you wanted to try out xmahjongg it's available in this games2.zip package:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ch&id=2881

macadavy

Xmahjongg

#4 Post by macadavy »

Thanks muggins! I'm familiar with xmahjonng & went looking for it in the dotpups, but no luck. How does one handle the .zip file? Simply unzip & voila it's installed like a dotpup? When I clicked on your link the download dialogue asked if I wanted to open it with Pupzip.

paulh177

#5 Post by paulh177 »

Running Shanghai Solitaire mahjongg game comes close to smoking my CPU
there's a basic problem with that program -- i tried the windoze version and it takes 50% cpu time too!

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

i'd forgotten how i'd packaged them & had to download & unzip them to see. basically all 6 games are in the form of self-extracting executables, without any menu entries, so you can extract them, and run them from wherever you want. but it's probably better to extract them to /tmp directory, click on them to see which you want to keep, then move the ones you want to retain to /usr/bin. then you would start xmahjongg by typing xmahjongg in an rxvt console, or dragging onto desktop. (you'd have to look around for a suitable icon for it, or you could do why i did. start xmahjongg, to a screencapture with mtpaint, then scale the screencapsule to just one tile, and save that as /usr/share/icons/xmahjongg.xpm & use that).

and you can easily modify the /usr/share/applications/shanghai.desktop file to fit xmahjongg, then run fixmenus & it will be in the menu.

hope that all makes sense.

tazoc

xmahjongg may already be in beta 4, but missing in menus

#7 Post by tazoc »

Same problem with Shanghai on my machine; 100% CPU. As muggins suggested I've replaced it with xmahjongg, including a .desktop file so that it will be in the menus for Lighthouse 215 beta 5.

I think xmahjongg may already be in beta 4, though it isn't in the menus. In Rox-Filer navigate to /usr/local/games and click on xmahjongg. You can drag and drop xmahjongg onto the desktop. The icon I used for both games is at /usr/share/icons/kmahjongg.png.
-TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

macadavy

Re: xmahjongg may already be in beta 4, but missing in menus

#8 Post by macadavy »

I think xmahjongg may already be in beta 4, though it isn't in the menus.
-TazOC
Indeed it is - thanks TazOC! There's also a dotpup 'Ace of Penguins' that includes (among other games) a mahjong-like game called 'Taipei'.