OpenOffice won't open in Chubby Puppy

Using applications, configuring, problems
DrSamRaza

OpenOffice won't open in Chubby Puppy

#1 Post by DrSamRaza »

Hello! all

I am very new to Linux, let alone Puppy.

I was wondering if someone could help me out.

I am coming live to you from my newly burnt and run "Chubby-Puppy". It is working fine except that when I click on an icon of OpenOffice application all I see is a Splash Screen of Loading OpenOffice. The application never starts. Believe me I have waited for 20 minutes some times.

I have 1.8 gHz machine with 1 gHz of DDR-Ram.

What seems to be wrong? Is this is Bug in Chubby-Puppy ?

raffy

check CD

#2 Post by raffy »

First step is check your CD if properly burned - try it in another machine.

If OK in another machine, then hardware could be the problem. Bladehunter has mentioned some possible problem with memory higher than 768 MB.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Yes, try in another machine. OO should start in a few seconds.

Regarding the 768M limit, I think that is for ramdisks, but I could be wrong.
Puppy though is running in RAM in a tmpfs filesystem, which I don't think
has such a low limit. I'm not sure though, so maybe someone can correct me.

babbs

#4 Post by babbs »

DrSam,

As recommended before me, I would start with making sure the CD is a good one in another system. (By any chance, did you verify the ISO prior to burning the CD?) Since you said "burnt" copy of Puppy, I am assuming that you are booting from CD. Please let us know if that is an incorrect assumption. (I had to ask, because someone used that word with me once, but he was talking about putting Puppy on his USB.)

I've only heard of a minimum memory requirement for Chubby Puppy 1.0.4 (something like 196MB RAM), but you don't have that problem. Since I don't remember too many systems that shipped shipped with a 1.8GHz CPU and 1GB RAM from the factory, it seems like you've upgraded your system some. Do you have a single DDR Simm or 2x512's or some mix to make 1GB? Also, have you experienced any memory related issues with any other Linux distro or with Windows?

Although the CD or RAM is the likely problem, I have to ask about USB... Are you using any USB storage devices? If so, what are they and are they USB version 1.1 or 2.0?

Regards,
Babbs