Not zeroising pupxxx on reboot

Booting, installing, newbie
PaulR

Not zeroising pupxxx on reboot

#1 Post by PaulR »

I'd like to skip the time consuming zeroising of pupxxx when I shut down or reboot my USB Puppy. I read some stuff here...

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... ht=zeroise

But I'm uncertain as to which scripts need to be changed - I commented out the relevant section of one but it didn't do the trick. I take it I was working on a copy that got replaced?

TIA

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

This might sound a bit rough but I use pen drives with Puppy installed and I just unplug them and hit the reset button.

Nothing gets saved to the pen drive and I can boot another Puppy CD or HD depending on what I want to use next.

Or you could just switch the machine off.

PaulR

#3 Post by PaulR »

But doesn't pup100 only get written back to the pen drive on reboot/shutdown (I'm booting off that drive not just using it for storage)?

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Ian »

If you want to save new data to the pen drive yes you need to go through the shut down process to write the data back to the drive.

PaulR

#5 Post by PaulR »

Any thoughts on this one anyone? To recap, I'm not going to want to back-up/zip the pup100 file so I don't care about zeroising the unused part of it, I just want to write it out to disk then shutdown.

rarsa

#6 Post by rarsa »

The answer is in the question. Did you actually read the thread you posted?

look, I'll take you closer, but you still need to read http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=8005#8005

PaulR

#7 Post by PaulR »

Yeah, specifically marv said...
For now I am using the Barrys' rc.reboot script with the zeroizing commented out and the shutdown is plenty fast.
and as I said at the top of the thread I commented out the zeroising section but it didn't seem to work - the file appeared to have been 'restored' to it's original state.

I've read that other thread (and all those links) numerous times when trying to get the USB to boot, I can't face it again!

It's turning into too much work for someone that wants to be a user with limited time for tinkering, maybe I'll just stick to CD!

Thanks anyway.