mkkde: create your custom KDE 3.5.5

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
disciple

#81 Post by disciple »

FYI (Working with Grafpup 104 and 2, and Puppy 2.16) I've tried debian packages of the last few versions of pdfedit, but they don't any of the libstdc++ versions people have working in Puppy. There is a generic Linux rpm of 3.01, but it crashed when trying to open a file. I'm hoping for a generic binary for 3.02 that will work :). Between a few of us I think we've unsuccessfully tried to compile a number of versions in Puppy, including the last two. Make fails for some reason. I've also tried an older version from Mandrake or something that didn't work.
People do seem to have success with using boost from other distros (e.g. do a search for pdfedit). Maybe that's what's causing some of our problems - maybe we actually need a puppy compiled boost.

basd

pdfedit

#82 Post by basd »

I grabbed a slackware 11 compile of pdfedit and also the necessary library. PDFEdit now "runs" in the sense that the GUI opens and I can attempt to open a pdf file.

Unfortunately, I'm faced with a new problem that I'm not sure how to deal with. I know how to track down missing libraries, but pdfedit is telling me that I'm missing necessary fonts to open the documents. So, I don't know whether this is a problem with the slackware package, if there is some further missing library, or if there is a way to add fonts.

It's also possible that there is a software compatibility problem. The slackware package is apparently compiled for 686 processors and the rest of the slackware packages I'm using are compiled for 486.

Anyone more familiar with the way pdfedit works, re the missing fonts?

Thanks.
[size=75]Everything I know about Puppy [url]http://daltrey.org/tw/tiki-index.php?page=Puppy+Linux[/url][/size]

disciple

#83 Post by disciple »

I believe (well it used to be true - I'm not sure if it still is) that Barry has removed all the standard fonts from Puppy that come with Ghostscript or something, that gsview likes to use. When I got all the font warnings for some reason I thought it was because of this, but I don't really know. Barry has a note somewhere in Puppy about the fonts he's removed (I think they were in a ghostscript directory).

What exactly happens? At one stage I had it so it would run, producing the font errors, then when I tried to open a file it crashed (I don't know if it was because of the fonts). Is that the same behaviour you have? I guess it would be worth trying just grabbing the fonts from another distro.
Anyone more familiar with the way pdfedit works?
Unfortunately this isn't really the right place to ask :)
I've actually opened a bug on their bug tracker, because of the problems compiling, and they seem quite helpful, so maybe you should just add a note to that, asking if they have any suggestions.

b_linux

Error Message - No space left on device

#84 Post by b_linux »

I am new to linux and puppy linux, so I am quite confused with an error message I am getting.

After I type ./mkkde it seems to run successfully for a while, but then the following error message occurs nearly every line:

cp: writing `../squashfs/opt/opt/kde/..<< stuff >>.`: No space left on device

When I use PartView to see my partitions. I have the following(shown in Megabytes):
ramdisk: 1 free
/dev/sda1 2471 free (this is my USB memory "stick" that I run Puppy from)
puppylinux.2fs 949 free (this is my personal storage file)
ramdisk 31 free
unionfs 31 free
/dev/hda1 5998 free
/dev/hda5 9881 free

I am running the mkkde from the personal storage file that has 949 Megabytes free.

It seems to me that I have plenty of space...The packages I selected for the tgz folder total in under 100 Megabytes.

What am I doing wrong?

If there is something that I should read, in order to better to understand this situation, feel free to refer me to that...

Thanks!