Right-click in IceWM desktop doesn't bring up menu

Using applications, configuring, problems
Subito Piano

Right-click in IceWM desktop doesn't bring up menu

#1 Post by Subito Piano »

Hi! Customizing Puppy 2.16 experimental, i added IceWM and lots of packages. Somehow in the process i lost the ability to right-click on the screen for a menu. I can still use the menu-button, but since i'm building a custom puppy for teaching, i'd like to get this standard linux feature back. Of course, i tried restarting, going to to JWM and back, nothing worked. Any ideas would be appreciated. (PIII, 484MB RAM)

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

It's an option in the IceWM preferences. There are two that matter if I remember right. One works like you'd expect, letting you set the right click to use the menu. The other one I don't remember anything about other than that it was stopping it from working even when the first one was picked.

Sorry, I can't seem to find the thread that explained what the problem was, but maybe you can figure it out. It's in /root/.icewm/preferences
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Subito Piano

#3 Post by Subito Piano »

Thanks for the tip....

...unfortunately, the whole process crashed and after 8 hours of work i can't get a bootable cd. I do have all the files (particularly the pup_216.sfs file) but the .iso failed. I was able to burn a CD-RW with the half-dozen requisite files to make a puppy cd and it booted -- just a couple times. It's a learning process...

The CD i was creating was for school and was going to include all the apps i teach -- that's why i used the experimental 2.16 as my starting point. Today, i took your pizza pup to customize (love that puplet!!) because it's just about what i need except for Open Office; but when i went to add Open Office it said i would need over 300 additional MB---!!! (Yeah, i know SOMETHING is whacked....)

Regarding your comment on my other post--as you can imagine, i get a few questions at school (not to mention rolled eyes) about using Linux--mostly from my colleagues, not the kids of course. The first year of dual-booting, i basically forced students to use Linux to get online, thus reducing my maintenance headaches (cleaning out spyware, you know). Nowadays it's a lot more about exposing these kids to something different so they learn to approach things logically rather than be trained drones punching predetermined buttons. Of course, if they become Linux users by choice, so much the better! Always a riot teaching them! :-D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

For what it's worth, DVD+RW works more reliably for experimenting with Puppy than CD-RW. Of course, it requires a DVD burner. :) The burning programs in Puppy do not (or at least did not; I haven't used them in a while) require a DVD+RW to be blanked before reusing it, which reduces the hassle and speeds things up.