Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 11:04
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Glipper don't have icon at startup
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
zell_ff8

PostPosted: Tue 22 May 2007, 22:26    Post subject:  Glipper don't have icon at startup
Subject description: And how do i change my starting programs?

When i start PuppyLinux 2.16 from LiveCD, or from CD using a pup_save on hard disk, it shows the clipboard icon of Glipper next to the volume icon.

I have another pup_save in a Flash drive, and when it starts, glipper is executed but without icon, i see a blank space, and i cant click it.
I don't know why, because pup_save both my usb flash drive and hard disk where updated from 2.14 to 2.16; for some reason when i load from my pendrive Glipper has no icon.

if i kill the process, and start from the console "glipper", it appears in the taskbar AND with icon.
how can i solve this?

and plus a few questions:

1-how do i execute a program in background? for example, if i use "glipper" or "nohup glipper" in a console, i cannot close the console because it closes the program, how do i execute a program without "blocking" the terminal.

2-how do i add/remove programs or command to be executed at Puppy startup, something like msconfig but for puppy

thanks
GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Tue 22 May 2007, 22:57    Post subject:  

to execute a program as a background process, put an & character after the command, like this:

glipper &

glipper is started in the hidden file /root/.xinitrc ... you could try changing this line in .xinitrc from this:

[ "`which glipper`" != "" ] && glipper &

to this:

sleep 5 && glipper &

that should wait 5 seconds until glipper is started, which might give the tray time to get started

(ps. i didn't discover glipper, someone else on the forum suggested it, all i did was compile it and make a glipper dotpup package)

Puppy has not startup folder (it would be very easy to add one, there are a few posts on the forum with simple scripts - a couple of lines to add to .xintrc) ... for example, see: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=113092#113092

if you want to start a command line program when Puppy boots, you can often start it from /etc/rc.d/rc.local ... put an & on the end of the line to run it as a background process to prevent it from blocking the boot process ... if you want to start an X windows program, you would usually start it from /root/.xinitrc ... put it before the "exec $CURRENTWM" line and start it as a background process by putting an & on the end of the line
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 23 May 2007, 19:41    Post subject:  

Perhaps we should move the startup of Glipper to /usr/sbin/delayedrun.
GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 23 May 2007, 22:29    Post subject:  

for Icewm, glipper seems to need icewmtray to be running before it is started, or it will start but it won't be visible in the tray, even after icewmtray starts running ... for Icewm, glipper will run as a background process, but it won't be visible or useful, if icewmtray is not running at all
Botanic

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2007, 15:30    Post subject:  

hello Puppy masters ! i'm confused with the order in which scripts are executed at startup ! not only they are in /etc/rc.d/ but there is delayedrun, .xinitrc, IceWM's startup file... and i guess more than those

for having the icons in my IceWM tray, i have to go into /root/.icewm and execute the startup file manually... why doesn't it execute by itself?

UP: how to execute IceWM startup file automatically?
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: