Stopping modules.dep warnings in /var/log/messages

Please post any bugs you have found
lidzky

Stopping modules.dep warnings in /var/log/messages

#1 Post by lidzky »

Hello

After a reboot I've noticed that my /var/log/messages were getting bigger and bigger due to these messages:
Jul 9 15:10:21 (none) daemon.info modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.27/modules.dep
Well, I don't know why this happened, but it can be easily solved by running "depmod -a".

Bye, Puppers :)

Andr

#2 Post by Guest »

That's fine for a hdd install but you'll always get those messages when running from a live cd...As I think modules.conf is rebuilt during every boot

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Try this line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

Code: Select all

touch /lib/modules/2.4.27/modules.dep
That should update the modify date.
Let me know if it works and I'll put it in permanently.

John Doe

#4 Post by John Doe »

BarryK wrote:Try this line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

Code: Select all

touch /lib/modules/2.4.27/modules.dep
That should update the modify date.
Let me know if it works and I'll put it in permanently.
It works on 1.0.4 and 1.0.5 alpha 2 (with 2.4.29, obviously) to fix modprobe. I think you should add it.

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?p=11927[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Okay, will do.

JDP

#6 Post by JDP »

The problems I have with it are that the messages show before rc.local is run. In the boot process the messages show about 4-5 times or more. On multiple machines with HD installs. When even a module gets modprobed in it shows the message and fails. Thus, my PCMCIA controlelr doesn't work unless I manually do the "depmod -a" and modprobe all the modules. And sound doesn't work either because of it.

Is there anywhere much earlier in the boot process to add the line? I've tried putting it just before the first modprobes I could find, but it only took away one or two before it came back and showed a few more errors in the boot. Is there some way to have it automatically sync modules.dep when things change in modules.conf?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

That's really poor that pcmcia fails because of that.
The message is not an error, it's just a warning, a really stupid warning actually, we should tell the author of modutils package to get rid of it ...or I could probably hack the source and get rid of it.

If the source is plain C I can probably do that. When I have to hack C++ code I start to feel challenged.
Do you recall the exact text of the warning message?

JDP

#8 Post by JDP »

On boot from SBM floppy to 1.0.4 Moz LiveCD with boot option 3, errors include:
<snip>
Adding Swap: 133048k swap-space (priority -1)
(indented green "done")
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
Segmentation fault
cat: /proc/pci: No such file or directory
Starting syslogd: (indented green "done")
</snip>

Not suprising, this is a P-90 Toshiba laptop no PCI bus, I think. It finds my video hardware just fine and lets me max out the screen with 800x600x24, AWESOME!

From the LiveCD rxvt I can modprobe in pcmcia_core, i82365, ds, and run cardmgr -c /etc/pcmcia with a Dell TrueMobile 1150 in a PCMCIA slot to be recognized and I get none of the
Jul 9 15:10:21 (none) daemon.info modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.27/modules.dep
that lidzky got too at this point. Though, mine is 2.4.29 for 1.0.4. Then iwconfig eth0 for my WiFi setup, and dhcpcd eth0. After that I can ping goosee.com fine, so networking can be running fine.

After a HD install, I get that set of errors, and something like "can't stat modules.conf0: file does not exist" And then later on the:

daemon .info modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.29/modules.dep

shows up everytime I try to modprobe something.

So it's just a warning? It seems the modprobes do go through, but they are also scattered in with that seg fault on boot up, so I know tht can't be good.

It seems also that this fresh install didn't catch the swap partition right off either.

JDP

#9 Post by JDP »

I caught more about the error about modules.conf0 I think:
/root/.etc/modules.conf0: File does not exist

but if I use rxvt to go look for it, there it is. And swap still doesn't persist on reboot. Odd, it worked on the last Puppy install I tried.