Puppy 1.0.5rc test release for developers

News, happenings
edoc

#21 Post by edoc »

Pizzasgood wrote:I never installed perl, and ndiswrapper worked fine, so that tells me that perl comes in the dev package. Just so you all know.
Hmmm. Guess one of the 1.0.5 Full Release needs is clarified text in the instructions.

Any ideas what may have changed that would allow a wired PCMCIA nic to be recognized but a wireless nic to not?

The wireless works under 1.0.4 but something is turning off access to it during boot up in 1.0.5RC

Sigh ... well, too late tonight, perhaps later tomorrow after church, etc.

doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Mathiasdm-not-logged-in

#22 Post by Mathiasdm-not-logged-in »

The help files don't seem to work.

Other than that, everything seems fine. I've done a small remastering already, but I don't have any CD-RW's with me, so I can't test yet ;-)

thoughtjourney

#23 Post by thoughtjourney »

Sorry to not have been here sooner. I don't have an internet connection at home at the moment...

I'm glad people like jwmConfigMgr. I'm working on a few improvements for the next release.

I should let you know that the JWM theme dotpups I posted a while ago won't work with this version simply because the dotpup installs them to a different directory. I will post some more dotpups with themes ASAP.
in the beginning was the Logos

http://thoughtjourney.aus.cc

keenerd

#24 Post by keenerd »

WAG has a few issues with 1.0.5, mainly from the bash/ash combo. For example, the root user test always fails. I've got a fix worked out.

Also, the Wireless Wizard never configures WAG. This should be easy to fix. The wizard needs to test /usr/local/WAG/wag-conf for "CARDSOC=". If it fails, then run the socket-test script.

Sorry if this is a repeat, but it didn't turn up on a forum search. The option 2 hard drive install fails to copy the /usr folder. There is just a symlink to /.usr_cram, which breaks the moment it's no longer in ramdisk.

edoc

#25 Post by edoc »

keenerd wrote:WAG has a few issues with 1.0.5, mainly from the bash/ash combo. For example, the root user test always fails. I've got a fix worked out.
Great news!

I will then stop thrashing about trying to figure it out ... until you post the fix.

I just tried a bunch of drivers for my Buffalo G54 (Broadcom WLI-CB-G54A) PCMCIA wireless nic but it still doesn't respond -- no light at all on the card.

Works fine under 1.0.4

What would deny power to the wireless card? The wired PCMCIA card in the same slot. both under 1.0.5RC, works fine.

Thanks! doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

BarryK
Puppy Master

#26 Post by BarryK »

2. When I used PupGet package manager to download 'fvwm95-2.0.43f', I get a warning that I need 'libc.so.5'. Where does one get that library package? It is not in the list.

Try this:
# cd /lib
# ln -s libc-2.3.4.so libc.so.5

...let us know if it works!

Note, as you already have fvwm95 pupget installed, you can run pupget package
manager and choose to check dependencies of an installed pkg. Do that after
creating the above link.

Most of all, does fvwm95 work?

PeterSieg

test results 1.0.5rc

#27 Post by PeterSieg »

Hi. Here are my tests:

- Live - CD bootet and created 256m pup003 home directory - ok
- eth0 config (dhcpd) - ok
- switched to xp theme - ok
- installed generic postscript printer on /dev/lp0 (lexmark 4039) with control panel - xpdq.
del existing printer. setup new one. - ok
- run abiword; made a test page with some text and 2 tables. printed -- and hurray - ok
- I am writung this with mozilla - so internet access - ok
- installed streamtuner+ripper - working - ok
- gcc is working - ok
So far - just great!!

PS
Have fun :)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#28 Post by BarryK »

keenerd wrote:WAG has a few issues with 1.0.5, mainly from the bash/ash combo. For example, the root user test always fails. I've got a fix worked out.

Also, the Wireless Wizard never configures WAG. This should be easy to fix. The wizard needs to test /usr/local/WAG/wag-conf for "CARDSOC=". If it fails, then run the socket-test script.

Sorry if this is a repeat, but it didn't turn up on a forum search. The option 2 hard drive install fails to copy the /usr folder. There is just a symlink to /.usr_cram, which breaks the moment it's no longer in ramdisk.
Countdown to Friday guys!
Can you figure out the changes to the Wireless Wizard and WAG, to get them to work nicely, and post them?
Setting this deadline, though self-imposed, have got rather a lot to do in a very short time, so any help much appreciated.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#29 Post by Flash »

Attempted to burn a Puppy CD with burniso2cd. Everything appeared to go fine, no error messages, but the CD was ejected immediately after the "burn" button was clicked, while a message said that it was successfully burned. I tried twice, with the same results both times, before I gave up and used gcombust instead.

The iso I was attemting to burn was in a NTFS partition, which I had mounted with MUT.

PeterSieg

More test results...

#30 Post by PeterSieg »

Hi.

- switching to 1280x1024 screen resolution makes my 17"TFT complaining
about non standard refresh rates and it goes into a save mode. This was an
issue already with 1.0.5a2. 1.0.4 didn't had that problem!!
1024x768 works fine.

- MUT crashes when a PC doesn't has a floppy drive?! floppy is disabled
in bios...

- Mozilla Mail works fine.- ok

BarryK. The whole reason for a beta/release candidate version is, to get as much as possible errors out of it before release :)
So in my opinion, there is no need to release 1.0.5 on a fixed date, even when knowing that there are some known issues...
I would rather vote to solve the known issues and then release 1.0.5!

Thanks, Peter
Have fun :)

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: did multi-session work for anyone? v1.05rc

#31 Post by BarryK »

Ted Dog wrote:I have been working on DVD mutli-sessions on the last few versions. I could not get 1.05rc to work on regular CD burned as multi-session. Is it me or is it somethig new? :?
There are bugs. Fixed for the release version.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#32 Post by BarryK »

This morning, I tried to test the Burn2iso program with negative results. It went thru the burning procedure okay, until it came time to actually burn the iso. Nothing.
I looked through the code for /usr/sbin/burniso2cd and can't find anything wrong.

Can anyone report success?

If it doesn't work, can you troubleshoot it?
One thing to do is the line of code where it actually does the burn -- it opens
a rxvt box then runs cdrecord in it, which closes as soon as cdrecord exits, so
you don't get to see any error message.
You could extract just the line that extecutes the burn, which is something
cdrecord -data etc etc something.iso
...see how that goes direct on the commandline.

pakt

#33 Post by pakt »

BarryK wrote:2. When I used PupGet package manager to download 'fvwm95-2.0.43f', I get a warning that I need 'libc.so.5'. Where does one get that library package? It is not in the list.

Try this:
# cd /lib
# ln -s libc-2.3.4.so libc.so.5

...let us know if it works!

Note, as you already have fvwm95 pupget installed, you can run pupget package manager and choose to check dependencies of an installed pkg. Do that after creating the above link.

Most of all, does fvwm95 work?
Yes indeed, Barry! Checking dependencies, I get the message "It seems...all dependencies...are installed"

In the Start -> Shut Down menu, I now have 'Fvwm95 restart'.
Clicking on it replaces JWM with Fvwm95 and in the Control Panel, Fvwm95 settings can now be found. Toggling between the two window managers works without a hitch :D

Another little fix that made it before deadline 8)

keenerd

#34 Post by keenerd »

I miss wmpower!

This little 77K app got cut from 1.0.5. It has a million little tricks for ACPI and even under APM it can do some nifty stuff. Like predicting how much time is left on your battery.

Sure, I have Torsmo set up to tell me AC/batt/charging status as well as percent battery. But I keep using wmpower to test if power saving features actually work. Random fun fact: My CPU (on 100% load) consumes as much power as the LCD backlight.

keenerd

#35 Post by keenerd »

Here is the wag-conf fix:

You call WAG twice(?) from the wirelesswizard, so for simplicity I didn't work with that. Instead, edit /usr/sbin/wag

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

#checks wag-conf
SOCTEST=`grep 'CARDSOC=' /usr/local/WAG/wag-conf`
if [ "$SOCTEST" = "" ]; then
  xmessage -center "It seems WAG is not configured.  Launching socket-test...."
  sh /usr/local/WAG/socket-test
fi

#runs WAG
cd /usr/local/WAG
exec /usr/local/WAG/AppRun
By the way, the cut down perl-5.8.0 worked fine for me when I tried ndiswrapper on 1.0.3 and 1.0.4. I haven't tried it with 1.0.5's ndiswrapper, but it's a 900Kb download, friendly for dialup. Could that be an option in the wireless wizard?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#36 Post by GuestToo »

wmpower seems to be available by PupGet
i could make a dotpup, but PupGet should work

pakt

#37 Post by pakt »

keenerd wrote:I miss wmpower!

This little 77K app got cut from 1.0.5. It has a million little tricks for ACPI and even under APM it can do some nifty stuff. Like predicting how much time is left on your battery.
keenerd, thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware of that utility. I need an ACPI utility for my Dell laptop - Puppy doesn't turn off the backlight when I don't use the PC for a while. This utility might just do that.
GuestToo wrote:wmpower seems to be available by PupGet
i could make a dotpup, but PupGet should work
A dotpup - yes, please, GuestToo! :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#38 Post by Lobster »

eh?

Why not use pupget? Are you using a very early version of Puppy without pupget? Just curious :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#39 Post by BarryK »

Okay, I have edited /usr/sbin/wag, restored wmpower, added info about the Perl PupGet pkg to wirelesswizard.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#40 Post by GuestToo »

ok, i made a wmpower dotpup