No xwin on Puppy 1.0.5 RC on HP ZE2113US laptop (Solved)

Please post any bugs you have found
Fox7777

No xwin on Puppy 1.0.5 RC on HP ZE2113US laptop (Solved)

#1 Post by Fox7777 »

We installed Puppy 1.0.5 RC on our HP ZE2113US laptop & x windows in /usr/X11R6/bin/xwin would not start. We have 512 RAM & loaded everything in there during the install. We tried to install twice & got the same results. We did not have this problem with Puppy 1.0.4 or 1.0.5 Alpha. Has anyone else had this problem & is there a fix for it?

Update: We were able to get around this by reinstalling Puppy 1.0.5 Alpha & then updating to Puppy 1.0.5 RC where we opted not to delete the old files, especially the ones in /usr which contained the xwin file. Since we don't see any other posts about this we assume there was probably a glitch in our 1.0.5 RC download. We did notice the wireless option doesn't show under Setup but it is in Wizard Wizard.

Leon

#2 Post by Leon »

We installed Puppy 1.0.5 RC on our HP ZE2113US laptop & x windows in /usr/X11R6/bin/xwin would not start. We have 512 RAM & loaded everything in there during the install. We tried to install twice & got the same results. We did not have this problem with Puppy 1.0.4 or 1.0.5 Alpha. Has anyone else had this problem & is there a fix for it?
I have the same problem on my desktop PC with 256 MB RAM. I did not have this problem with Puppy 1.0.3, 1.0.4, Chubby Puppy 1.0.4 or 1.0.5alpha2.

I have tried to installed Puppy 1.0.5rc twice and each time end up with the same error. After I have set the screen resolution I started few programs form the desktop like Gxine, uXplore or Leafpad and after first reboot from CD with default boot option the boot process ended with following error message:

Code: Select all

Sorry, cannot start X. File /usr/X11R6/bin/X missing. If X is supposed to be installed, probably Puppy was unable to mount usr_cram.fs on /usr.

keenerd

#3 Post by keenerd »

Oh, I got this too. You did an option 2 hard drive install, right? The installer forgets to give you the /usr folder. There is just a symlink to /.usr_cram. So, either copy that file off of the CD, or boot puppy from the CD, and then copy /usr to /mnt/hd??/usr. Remember to delete the symlink first.

Leon

#4 Post by Leon »

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

keenerd wrote:Oh, I got this too. You did an option 2 hard drive install, right? The installer forgets to give you the /usr folder. There is just a symlink to /.usr_cram. So, either copy that file off of the CD, or boot puppy from the CD, and then copy /usr to /mnt/hd??/usr. Remember to delete the symlink first.
keenerd,
I don't quite understand.
You booted the CD first?
Then ran the install-to-hard-drive-option-2?
...a new or upgrade installation?

keenerd

#6 Post by keenerd »

You booted the CD first?
Then ran the install-to-hard-drive-option-2?
...a new or upgrade installation?
Booted CD. First tried an option 2 upgrade, but I got an error about too many symlinks for startx & xwin. (That always seems to happen on my thinkpad.)

Booted from CD, tried a fresh option 2 install. Booted from hard drive. Got an error that /usr/...../X didn't exist. Couldn't cd into /usr. Booted from CD. I could open /mnt/hda1/usr/ just fine. Went back to /mnt/hda1 and inspected /usr. ROX said it was really a symlink to /.usr_cram, which would have been loaded into ramdisk.

Simple fix, deleted the symlink and copied /usr to /mnt/hda1.

I don't have usr_devx installed because the server keeps disconnecting my dialup connection.

MU

#7 Post by MU »

keenerd wrote: I don't have usr_devx installed because the server keeps disconnecting my dialup connection.
You will find a copy there:
http://noforum.de/dotpups/

Size is 42-43 MB.

If you still have problems downloading, tell me, and I will split it to smaller pieces ( 5 MB? )

Mark

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#8 Post by GuestToo »

i usually use wget to download large files
wget is built into most Linux distros and is available for Windows (for example, Wackget)
wget can resume downloads

i do not try to download large files using IE or Mozila or Firefox ... i think Opera can resume downloads

bit torrent is a very reliable way to download files ...
the latest Opera can download torrents as easily as downloading a file from a server ... just click the torrent link

keenerd

#9 Post by keenerd »

No, no. It's the server's fault. Every two months or so I download a 400-700 Mb ISO image over my dialup. 43 megs is nothing. I use GetRight, it works quite well.

I've been using http://www.nstsoftware.com/puppy/usr_devx.sfs, and I will try the other link.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#10 Post by BarryK »

Booted from CD, tried a fresh option 2 install. Booted from hard drive. Got an error that /usr/...../X didn't exist. Couldn't cd into /usr. Booted from CD. I could open /mnt/hda1/usr/ just fine. Went back to /mnt/hda1 and inspected /usr. ROX said it was really a symlink to /.usr_cram, which would have been loaded into ramdisk.

Simple fix, deleted the symlink and copied /usr to /mnt/hda1.

Hmm, okay. rc.sysinit makes /usr into a symlink to /.usr_cram temporarily, but after boot there should be just /usr.
The reason for this came about because previously usr_cram.fs was mounted
directly on /usr, but now it is mounted on /.usr_cram, then unionfs joins it to /usr.
...but this is not appropriate for h.d. option2 install, so I'll check through the code and get it fixed.